Probably a stupid question, but how do I know I built my pc correctly?

Caleb D

Just finished my second pc ever. Everything’s running fine so far, but I was wondering if there’s a better way of telling if everything is doing it’s job. Just trying to make this 3k towards a computer last a while, and not die due to me having done something wrong

If it ever doesn't do anything when turned on, check the power button.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

Check your temperatures and make sure not to fill your SSD more than 90% (although that might be outdated information).

Once it's running with no issues, there's not much to do but enjoy it.

PC: CPU: Intel i7-4790 MB: Gigabyte B85N RAM: Adata 4GB + Kingston 8GB SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB GPU: XFX GTR RX 480 8GB Case: Advantech IPC-510 PSU: Corsair RM1000i KB: Idobao x YMDK ID75 with Outemu Silent Grey Mouse: Logitech G305 Mousepad: LTT Deskpad Headphones: AKG K240 Sextett
Phone: Sony Xperia 5 II

32 minutes ago, TheTechWizardThatNeedsHelp said:

If it ever doesn't do anything when turned on, check the power button.

Yes I remember the problem earlier

50 minutes ago, Caleb D said:

Just finished my second pc ever. Everything’s running fine so far, but I was wondering if there’s a better way of telling if everything is doing it’s job. Just trying to make this 3k towards a computer last a while, and not die due to me having done something wrong

If you turn it on and it doesn't bellow smoke, you've at least passed the "will it burn" check 👩‍💻

Just if you want it to last the longest, don't overclock it. Buy a decent UPS and make sure every electronic device connected to the PC is plugged into it, not the wall.

Benchmark it in things like Cinebench and 3DMark, and make sure it matches up roughly with similarly specced machines. Use stress testers like CPU-Z and Heaven Benchmark. Let it go for a while and monitor the temps. If all that goes well, then you can safely assume you're good.

Honestly, most of this is just an it either works or it doesn't situation. The first test is getting it to post, and that alone pretty much means you're okay. Then, if you can actually boot it up into Windows, there's really nothing that can be wrong.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

On 7/18/2020 at 10:43 AM, Caleb D said:

Run a couple benchmarks (like 3DMark and Cinebench) and compare your scores to others with similar hardware.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/