PC won't start after using bios flash

Go to solution Solved by Alkocicero,
1 minute ago, ItsNypz said:

U said I need another gpu, but like I said I have another computer, can't I replace a specific part of my pc with the other pc in order to go on my pc and just use the backup of the bios? (I think i need to switch the gpu, right?)

if you have another pc then take out gpu and put it in the top slot on your motherboard and the vega card in the bottom slot and see if you can boot into windows, you then need to make sure the vega card is reporting hardware to windows, you can check this with gpuz.

if you can still see the card in windows attempt to flash the backup you made. be sure you select the right gpu when flashing as you dont want to flash the wrong card.

Hey guys, just watched video on YouTube of a guy turning a Vega 56 into a Vega 64 by doing a bios flash, and so I decided to try it, downloaded the 64 bios that matched my 56 and made amdvbflash read it. Now my pc won't start 🙃.

Please help!

i believe you killed your gpu :/  you cant turn one card into another with bios

The feedback on videos alike was like 700 likes and 20 dislikes, so I'm pretty sure it worked for most people

ok lets break this down:

1) bios or firmware flashing is extremely dangerous if you are not familiar with the process or consequences.

2) every gpu is different, the hardware is revised and features are added/removed

3) the bios for say a Galax GTX 970 is not the same for a EVGA Gtx 970 even though they are the same card

4) flashing the wrong firmware ie from a completely different model will brick the emmc memory on the gpu as all the addresses are different

5) watching one youtube video then flashing firmware without looking into it is bloody stupid

6) likes/dislikes means nothing!

you have killed your gpu because you didnt stop and think. its a very expensive mistake to be made

2 minutes ago, ItsNypz said:

The feedback on videos alike was like 700 likes and 20 dislikes, so I'm pretty sure it worked for most people

1. 700 "likes" don't necessarily (and almost certainly don't) equal 700 "I did it and it worked".

2. Did you at least have the sense to back up your original bios first?

3. Since you randomly did what a guy said on a YT video haven't you looked at what some other random people did to recover the situation?

4. If you hadn't already guessed by points 1 to 3, dumb idea...

1 minute ago, Tido_III said:

1. 700 "likes" don't necessarily (and almost certainly don't) equal 700 "I did it and it worked".

2. Did you at least have the sense to back up your original bios first?

3. Since you randomly did what a guy said on a YT video haven't you looked at what some other random people did to recover the situation?

4. If you hadn't already guessed by points 1 to 3, dumb idea...

I did make a backup, but I'm unaware of how to make use of it since the pc turns on but nothing is not the screen

if you have a cpu with built in gpu then connect to the display port on the motherboard and attempt to use nvflash to reflash your gpu. the issue is that the bios is corrupted now.

I did make a backup, but I'm unaware of how to make use of it since the pc turns on but nothing is not the screen

TBH don't really get why you did it - you were already a member here but trusted some random guy on YT then came here to try and resolve it. Why not, since you are already a member here, just ask here first??? Live and learn i guess...

Anyway, do you have another PC or laptop? Do you have a CH341A Programmer or similar? You can just google this if you are unfamiliar with what i'm suggesting here to recover.

Also look into some videos about recovering from a bad gpu bios flash

4 minutes ago, Alkocicero said:

if you have a cpu with built in gpu then connect to the display port on the motherboard and attempt to use nvflash to reflash your gpu. the issue is that the bios is corrupted now.

The motherboard doesn't seem to have detected the cable, I connected it to the motherboard but nothing

then your cpu doesnt have gpu built in. 

your kinda boned then, maybe take it to your local micro centre and explain the situation.

tbh i have zero hope for your gpu, its a very expensive paperweight now

10 minutes ago, ItsNypz said:

You need an iGPU or secondary GPU.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

5 minutes ago, Tido_III said:

TBH don't really get why you did it - you were already a member here but trusted some random guy on YT then came here to try and resolve it. Why not, since you are already a member here, just ask here first??? Live and learn i guess...

Anyway, do you have another PC or laptop? Do you have a CH341A Programmer or similar? You can just google this if you are unfamiliar with what i'm suggesting here to recover.

Also look into some videos about recovering from a bad gpu bios flash

No I do not own anything similar to that, i I get it that it was a mistake in human and there is still room for me to improve, I make mistakes... So now I just wanna get help so I can fix them and avoid them

I have another computer, is there any way I can use that computer to for example install windows on this one?

No I do not own anything similar to that, i I get it that it was a mistake in human and there is still room for me to improve, I make mistakes... So now I just wanna get help so I can fix them and avoid them

Unless you can follow one of the rescue videos (and there are some about, just google) All i can suggest is you look into the CH341A route (there will undoubtedly be videos out there for this method on gpu bios). It's very cheap, i used it on an old laptop and i didn't have any issues....but....beware....YMMV.

However, as @Alkocicero said, right now you have an expensive paperweight, so you might not be losing too much by trying the chip reprogrammer method for a few bucks if all else fails. Good luck.

8 minutes ago, Enderman said:

You need an iGPU or secondary GPU.

How will I go about getting that?

Just now, ItsNypz said:

find youtube videos with a high like/dislike ratio... /s

you can buy a chip reprogammer on youtube that you connect direct to the bios chip on the gpu and flash with another pc but! all warranty will be voided if you open up the card. SLPT try a rma without telling them what happened you might get lucky.

new cpu with it built in

1 minute ago, Alkocicero said:

new cpu with it built in

U are half helping half pushing me to the ground, don't u think I get it already that I made a mistake? No need to be childish and pressure me more with it, if everytime u help it comes with an insult I rather not be helped by you

Just now, ItsNypz said:

U are half helping half pushing me to the ground, don't u think I get it already that I made a mistake? No need to be childish and pressure me more with it, if everytime u help it comes with an insult I rather not be helped by you

i wasnt insulting you, you asked how to get one and i replied with the only answer available, an igpu is built into the cpu so you cant get one without buying a new cpu

i wasnt insulting you, you asked how to get one and i replied with the only answer available, an igpu is built into the cpu so you cant get one without buying a new cpu

Sure, I'll look into another option

I would honestly attempt an RMA process you may get lucky, worst case they send the gpu back to you and say no to replacment. otherwise take it to your local micro centre and explain the situation to them, they may help but will probably charge you.

Otherwise you can try recovery by yourself here are som link for what you need:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013Q5P3ES/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015W4PKR6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

its a pretty straightforward process theres a quick video here: 

I would honestly attempt an RMA process you may get lucky, worst case they send the gpu back to you and say no to replacment. otherwise take it to your local micro centre and explain the situation to them, they may help but will probably charge you.

Otherwise you can try recovery by yourself here are som link for what you need:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013Q5P3ES/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015W4PKR6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

its a pretty straightforward process theres a quick video here: 

U said I need another gpu, but like I said I have another computer, can't I replace a specific part of my pc with the other pc in order to go on my pc and just use the backup of the bios? (I think i need to switch the gpu, right?)

if you have another pc then take out gpu and put it in the top slot on your motherboard and the vega card in the bottom slot and see if you can boot into windows, you then need to make sure the vega card is reporting hardware to windows, you can check this with gpuz.

if you can still see the card in windows attempt to flash the backup you made. be sure you select the right gpu when flashing as you dont want to flash the wrong card.

1 minute ago, Alkocicero said:

Gotcha (I will be doing this tommorow cause it's late now) but one question, what if the card doesn't show up? Does this mean it died forever? And I need to get a new gpu? Or a new motherboard?  Or both?

Gotcha (I will be doing this tommorow cause it's late now) but one question, what if the card doesn't show up? Does this mean it died forever? And I need to get a new gpu? Or a new motherboard?  Or both?

if the card doesnt show up your last resort is using one of the tools i posted above and if that fails then it unfortunatley is gone forever, sorry :( i feel for you and i didnt mean to push you into the ground. as for your other hardware it is fine, the bios flash only affected the gpu.