Issue with Thermals on Laptop

RevoGz

Hello!

I have a Nitro 5 (2018), with i7-8750h and 1060 6gb, about a month ago I was having thermal issues so I took it to a computer shop to get the paste changed and the fans cleaned, They recommended the Cooler Mastergel Regular they had in stock and I asked them to apply it.

The thermals were great, almost 15-25 C lower than usual (usually used to get around 95-97 before this, got 75-85's after) which was great, but around a week or two ago i noticed thermal throttling and realized the temp's were reaching high 90's again. Idle is reaching around 70 C. I'm giving the laptop ample room for ventilation and the room temp is around 22-28 C, fan speeds are set to high, which is 6122 RPM and when set to auto run around 5-6k.

What should I do now? and which other thermal paste should I apply for this issue to be fixed? I tried undervolting but I want a long term solution with stability.

I've also heard some paste's dry up quickly or pump out effect, especially some pastes that do when temps are over 80 C, like TG Kryo. So would be great if I can help finding a good thermal paste which can work with the gaming laptop I have.

Thanks!

3 minutes ago, RevoGz said:

Hello!

I have a Nitro 5 (2018), with i7-8750h and 1060 6gb, about a month ago I was having thermal issues so I took it to a computer shop to get the paste changed and the fans cleaned, They recommended the Cooler Mastergel Regular they had in stock and I asked them to apply it.

The thermals were great, almost 15-25 C lower than usual (usually used to get around 95-97 before this, got 75-85's after) which was great, but around a week or two ago i noticed thermal throttling and realized the temp's were reaching high 90's again. Idle is reaching around 70 C. I'm giving the laptop ample room for ventilation and the room temp is around 22-28 C, fan speeds are set to high, which is 6122 RPM and when set to auto run around 5-6k.

What should I do now? and which other thermal paste should I apply for this issue to be fixed? I tried undervolting but I want a long term solution with stability.

I've also heard some paste's dry up quickly or pump out effect, especially some pastes that do when temps are over 80 C, like TG Kryo. So would be great if I can help finding a good thermal paste which can work with the gaming laptop I have.

Thanks!

i doubt the thermal paste dried out already, maybe? i find it more likely that the heatsink could have come a little loose, i would check how tight it is.

'

1 minute ago, bmx6454 said:

i doubt the thermal paste dried out already, maybe? i find it more likely that the heatsink could have come a little loose, i would check how tight it is.

Hello! I'll definitely check it, but would still go for a paste change if possible as the Mastergel regular only as it is 5 w/mk

Sometimes tightening the screw might help. Just make sure not to over tightened it because the screws are pretty flimsy. and they can break apart easily.

I have ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_spectrum

I apologies if my comments or post offends you in any way, or if my rage got a little too far. I'll try my best to make my post as non-offensive as much as possible.

I've had great luck and longevity with Noctua H2 (used the older H1 as well). When I rebuilt my tower, the old (3 or so years) H1 was still tacky. It came with my cooler and I've stuck with it because it works. I've also used it on GPUs and my mom's laptop.

6 hours ago, Demonic Donut said:

I've had great luck and longevity with Noctua H2 (used the older H1 as well). When I rebuilt my tower, the old (3 or so years) H1 was still tacky. It came with my cooler and I've stuck with it because it works. I've also used it on GPUs and my mom's laptop.

Hello! Thank you for your suggestion! I'll look into it, unfortunately I've heard about very bad pump out effect from Noctua TIM's , given that the H2 is newer, I've yet to see any bad reviews on it, I'll check if I can get my hands on it.