Stock cooler/thermal paste for 3300x

Hi all,

I'm a lapsed PC gamer who's dealing with working from home with a one year old by day dreaming about building my first PC in a decade. I'm fully intending to wait until the end of the year when new graphics cards are available, but have been having some fun pulling together a draft system for gaming on a £1k budget for everything (this is as exciting as life gets right now...)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3300X 3.8 GHz Quad-Core Processor  (£160.43 @ Overclockers.co.uk) 
Motherboard: ASRock B450M-HDV R4.0 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  (£57.98 @ Amazon UK) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  (£66.48 @ Scan.co.uk) 
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (£68.18 @ Newegg UK) 
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon RX 5600 XT 6 GB GAMING OC Video Card  (£268.98 @ Amazon UK) 
Case: BitFenix Nova ATX Mid Tower Case  (£34.55 @ Currys PC World) 
Power Supply: Corsair TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply  (£69.99 @ Currys PC World) 
Monitor: AOC 24G2U/BK 24.0" 1920x1080 144 Hz Monitor  (£191.99 @ Amazon UK) 
Keyboard: FNATIC miniSTREAK RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard 
Mouse: SteelSeries Rival 3 Wired Optical Mouse  (£29.99 @ Amazon UK) 
Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Stinger  Headset  (£39.99 @ Amazon UK) 
Total: £988.56

Just one question re the 3300x - I've seen it comes with a stock cooler, but would I need to buy anything like thermal paste, or if I did get the 3300x does it have everything I'd need out of the box? 

Thanks in advance.

Comes with thermal paste applied on the underside of the cooler already.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

2 minutes ago, marbled said:

Just one question re the 3300x - I've seen it comes with a stock cooler, but would I need to buy anything like thermal paste, or if I did get the 3300x does it have everything I'd need out of the box? 

I am pretty sure the stock cooler comes with a little bit of thermal paste preapplied. However if you screw up the mount on the first try (Trust me, i have), you will probably need extra thermal paste.

14 minutes ago, Infernomoonsault said:

I am pretty sure the stock cooler comes with a little bit of thermal paste preapplied. However if you screw up the mount on the first try (Trust me, i have), you will probably need extra thermal paste.

Cool thanks, will make a note to pick some up if I ever actually build this.

20 minutes ago, marbled said:

ASRock B450M-HDV R4.0

don't get this motherboard, though, it's crap. you want a motherboard that has heatsinks over the vrms

1 minute ago, boggy77 said:

don't get this motherboard, though, it's crap. you want a motherboard that has heatsinks over the vrms

Interesting thanks for the note - any suggestions for a similarly-priced superior option?

Just now, marbled said:

any suggestions for a similarly-priced superior option?

Pro 4 and the pro vdh max and the a pro max ( non m) are all pretty good. 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

1 minute ago, marbled said:

Interesting thanks for the note - any suggestions for a similarly-priced superior option?

2 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

Ok thanks, given that a couple of these are only a tenner more, will definitely take a look. Just out of interest, what difference would switching to one of these make to a build? Is it that performance would be improved, or that better cooling will make it more stable in the long term?

11 minutes ago, marbled said:

Ok thanks, given that a couple of these are only a tenner more, will definitely take a look. Just out of interest, what difference would switching to one of these make to a build? Is it that performance would be improved, or that better cooling will make it more stable in the long term?

a motherboard controls and delivers power to the cpu through the vrms. depending on the vrm configuration in the board and whether it has a heatsink on the vrms or not, a board is able to safely (and within reasonable temperatures) deliver the required power to the cpu or not.

in the case of a cheap bad board (like the one you initially picked), the vrms would overheat and would start delivering less power to the cpu, which would mean the cpu would have to reduce its frequency (throttle), affecting performance.

6 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

a motherboard controls and delivers power to the cpu through the vrms. depending on the vrm configuration in the board and whether it has a heatsink on the vrms or not, a board is able to safely (and within reasonable temperatures) deliver the required power to the cpu or not.

in the case of a cheap bad board (like the one you initially picked), the vrms would overheat and would start delivering less power to the cpu, which would mean the cpu would have to reduce its frequency (throttle), affecting performance.

Ok good to know, thanks for your help.