OMG what watt

Vintage GT75

Just a few days away from purchasing the rest of my build.  I'm hoping to get the best efficiency from my psu but the mammoth amount of advice, figures and options has made this difficult.

Mobo: Asus z490 Hero

CPU: 10700k between 4.9 & 5.1

Kracken X73 aio

6 x 140mm case fans

1 x ssd

1 x 2080 super - (3000 series eventually)

Case: Fractal Meshify s2 

1 x USB mic (blue yeti x)

1 x headphones AKG712 pro

For gaming only usage between 8 and 12 hours per day.

What wattage and or psu to purchase?

With a targeted best efficiency.

EDIT: Budget for psu £$250

Monitor: 240hz @1080p

Aiming for 240 fps where I can.

What's your budget for the power supply?

Also, are you set on a 10700K and Maximus XII Hero? You could save a good bit of money off of these without losing virtually any gaming performance whatsoever.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

With that CPU, aim for a 600W unit. At those clocks, it easily pulls 200W and up. The 2080S is another 250-300W

Just now, Mateyyy said:

Also, are you set on a 10700K and Maximus XII Hero? You could save a good bit of money off of these without losing virtually any gaming performance whatsoever.

True. If he buys a 3700X instead ,it would be cheaper, run cooler and use basically half the power as the 3700X is far more efficient than the 10700K for what is basically the same performance. He'd also save money on the cooler since even the stock cooler is plenty for AMD

1 minute ago, 5x5 said:

True. If he buys a 3700X instead ,it would be cheaper, run cooler and use basically half the power as the 3700X is far more efficient than the 10700K for what is basically the same performance. He'd also save money on the cooler since even the stock cooler is plenty for AMD

Disappointingly I was actually going to suggest a 10600K haha. 

That being said, if OP plans on gaming at 1440p or higher, I agree that it'd probably make more sense to go with AMD instead.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

1 minute ago, Mateyyy said:

Disappointingly I was actually going to suggest a 10600K haha. 

That being said, if OP plans on gaming at 1440p or higher, I agree that it'd probably make more sense to go with AMD instead.

I personally can't recommend the 10600K. In games it's only 2-3% ahead of the 3700X at 1080 (even less at 1440) and the lost performance and higher power/heat are just hard to swallow.

10 minutes ago, Vintage GT75 said:

I'm hoping to get the best efficiency from my psu

The difference between the max efficiency and the min efficiency is gonna be like 2%, at most, once you're above 10% load on the PSU. You would not be able to notice the difference on your power bill.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Budget for psu £$250

Incase this makes a difference, I suspect it will.

Monitor 240hz @ 1080p

Aiming for 240fps where I can.

18 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

The difference between the max efficiency and the min efficiency is gonna be like 2%, at most, once you're above 10% load on the PSU. You would not be able to notice the difference on your power bill.

Will this depend on the psu performance?

4 minutes ago, Vintage GT75 said:

Will this depend on the psu performance?

Not really, once you're in the ranges of the 80+ rating the efficiency is very consistent.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

21 minutes ago, Vintage GT75 said:

Budget for psu £$250

Monitor 240hz @ 1080p

Make sure to use quotes or tags so we're notified whenever you reply.

For the power supply, I'd recommend either a Corsair RM550x/650x or a Straight Power 11 550W/650W, or if you plan on upgrading to a 10900K and hammering it, a Straight Power 11 750W.

Also, for the CPU and motherboard, I'd instead get a 10600K and either a Z490 Unify (unless you need the iGPU) or Strix Z490-E, or even a Z490 Gaming Edge WIFI which is cheaper and still gets the job done, even with a 10900K.

44 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

With that CPU, aim for a 600W unit. At those clocks, it easily pulls 200W and up. The 2080S is another 250-300W

23 minutes ago, Vintage GT75 said:

Budget for psu £$250

Monitor 240hz @ 1080p

Since that dude said 600W(not 550 or 650), there arent many choices out there. Corsair SF600 or Pure Power 11 CM 600W are in your budget.

Interim 15 T200 OKF("F" intel processors are specifically archituctured for gaming) maybe upgrad to 13'900 | Peeralight cpu fan | Stryx Z690-A Wife(which is branded by ASUS and it's ROG label) | Thermotake 16x 8x2GO SODINM 2400mjz cl22 (2 of them with the mood lighting) | 980 EVO 1TB m.2 ssd card + Kensington 2TB SATA nvme + WD BLACK PRO ULTRA MAX 4TB GAMING DESTROYER HHD | Echa etc 3060 duel fan dissipator 12 GBi and Azrock with the radian 550 XT Tiachi | NEXT H510 Vit Klar Svart | Seasonice 600watts voeding(rated for 100.000 hours, running since 2010, ballpark estimate 8 hours a day which should make it good for 34 years) | Nocturna case fans | 0LED Duel moniter

New build in progress: Ryen™ 8 7700x3D with a copper pipe fan | Z60e-A | Kingstron RENEGATE 16x2 Go hyenix | Phantek 2 the thar mesh in front | lead lex black label psu + AsiaHorse białe/białe | 1080 Pro 8TB 15800MB/S NvMe(for gaming this increase fps and charging time, cooled by a M.2 slot with coolblock and additional thermopad) and faster 4000GB HHD | MAI GeForce GTX 2070 Ti and RTX 6800 | Corshair psu

39 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

I like the features the Hero brings to the table also the overall performance benchmarks as per Kitguru including temps.  The Hero appears to have the "can't go wrong" reputation which from a sub par experienced person makes me feel better.

I originally had my sights on the 10900k but yeah overpriced and constant pre order.  After researching countless benchmarks, and yes I'm one of those FPS snobs unfortunately, the 10700k seems like the way to go.

4 minutes ago, Vintage GT75 said:

I like the features the Hero brings to the table also the overall performance benchmarks as per Kitguru including temps.  The Hero appears to have the "can't go wrong" reputation which from a sub par experienced person makes me feel better.

I originally had my sights on the 10900k but yeah overpriced and constant pre order.  After researching countless benchmarks, and yes I'm one of those FPS snobs unfortunately, the 10700k seems like the way to go.

Wait for Zen 3 then if you're an FPS snob. You'll be hating yourself in two months otherwise. I can't reveal much but the money will feel wasted if you but now and want the best for gaming.

11 minutes ago, Ralf said:

Since that dude said 600W(

Is he limited to 600w? No. 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

34 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

Make sure to use quotes or tags so we're notified whenever you reply.

For the power supply, I'd recommend either a Corsair RM550x/650x or a Straight Power 11 550W/650W, or if you plan on upgrading to a 10900K and hammering it, a Straight Power 11 750W.

Also, for the CPU and motherboard, I'd instead get a 10600K and either a Z490 Unify (unless you need the iGPU) or Strix Z490-E, or even a Z490 Gaming Edge WIFI which is cheaper and still gets the job done, even with a 10900K.

The wattage being suggested and recommended appears to be significantly lower than I anticipated.

So should I really just aim for approximately 200watts higher than the total of my individual parts and ignore the efficiency maths?  I feel I may have either read into psu purchasing too much or I'm falling for inaccurate information.

Thank you for the advice.

25 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

Wait for Zen 3 then if you're an FPS snob. You'll be hating yourself in two months otherwise. I can't reveal much but the money will feel wasted if you but now and want the best for gaming.

This is playing a huge roll in my decision making and after many months of waiting and using my current rig ( really bad) I can't wait any longer.

3 minutes ago, Vintage GT75 said:

The wattage being suggested and recommended appears to be significantly lower than I anticipated.

So should I really just aim for approximately 200watts higher than the total of my individual parts and ignore the efficiency maths?  I feel I may have either read into psu purchasing too much or I'm falling for inaccurate information.

Thank you for the advice.

Well, a system with a 10600K and 2080 Super will pull around 425W max at full 100% load. While gaming, that number will be lower.

A good 550W PSU will be more than enough for pretty much any single-GPU gaming setup today. The actual quality of the power supply's components though is a lot more important than the advertised wattage after a certain point, and on that note, the 80+ rating doesn't necessarily correlate directly with a PSU's quality (as in not all 80+ Gold rated units for example are super high quality).

The 10900K on the other hand is the odd one out when it comes to current-gen CPUs, since it just pulls so much current when overclocked. It's pretty much the only consumer CPU where I'd actually recommend a 650/750W unit, when paired with a high-end GPU like the 2080 Super which will pull around 250W by itself.

If you're stuck on what actual model power supply to get or if the Corsair RMx or be quiet! Straight Power 11 are out of stock locally for you, the forum's PSU tier list gives you a decent general idea of what to buy and what to avoid:

For a Z490 build with a 2080 Super, I'd personally only consider Tier A units that aren't written in grey.

2 hours ago, Vintage GT75 said:

This is playing a huge roll in my decision making and after many months of waiting and using my current rig ( really bad) I can't wait any longer.

Well, that's your call. But the 4700X will be about ~15-21% faster than the 10700K in everything, including single-threaded applications. So keep in mind that after 2 months the i7 10700K sill be slower than the lower midrange Ryzen 5 models :/

I really can't divulge my sources but it's not looking good at all for Intel in September. If you can't wait, get a 3300X and X570 board and upgrade to Zen 3 in two months.