Audioengine D1, is it really this good?

YajirobeFromDC

he says he could really tell a difference between it and the onboard.

It will be noticeable. But dependant on your headphones/speaker setup.

New PC Build - Build Log - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/276039-project-swift-force/

[spoiler=]

• Case: Phanteks Enthoo Primo
  • Motherboard: Asus Maximus VII Hero
  • CPU: Intel i7-4790K
  • GPU1: GIGABYTE G1 GAMING GTX 970 4GB
  • GPU2: GIGABYTE G1 GAMING GTX 970 4GB
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro Red, 16gb (2x8GB) @1600mhz
  • PSU: EVGA SuperNova 850W 80+ Gold
  • CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X61
  • HDD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB 7200RPM
  • SSD: Samsung 840 EVO - 250GB
  • Monitor: Asus PG278Q ROG Swift 27" 144hz G-Sync
  • Headphones: Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 600 OHM
  • DAC/AMP: Mayflower Objective2 + ODAC Combo
  • Mouse: ROCCAT Kone Pure Optical
  • Keyboard: KBP V60 - Cherry MX Brown

The dac itself would not be much difference, but the Amp included inside the DAC for the headphones is probably a little better than the amp used in the laptop, I have seen in other lenovo models that the sound is not top notch, but is not the worst sound ever either.   And judging by his comment of "better bass resolution" I would think the only difference was the output impedance in the amps.  

Also could be that the sound was just louder, and he liked it better because of that.  If the volume goes up, you will hear more details.

Just saw that this device have an output impedance of 10 Ohms, so there goes that theory, is probably just a matter of volume.

Mystery is the source of all true science.

I have one. It's far better than the audio in my laptop, and slightly better than my mobo's onboard (Asrock Z77 Extreme4). The only reason I wouldn't recommend it is its high headphone amp impedance. It's still better than any onboard regardless.

Edit: also for the price, it isn't really worth it. Get a Fiio E10.

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

I stopped respecting Hardware Canucks when they reviewed a MEZE product.

Edit: also for the price, it isn't really worth it.

Also this.

I stopped respecting Hardware Canucks when they reviewed a MEZE product.

Also this.

They still make very good, if not the best case reviews.

But for audio I'd rather trust someone else.

THE signature

Lol no.

There's no difference between my d1 and onboard using my a2's. I just needed a front volume control.

Lol no.

There's no difference between my d1 and onboard using my a2's. I just needed a front volume control.

You really think A2's are a fair measurement medium? They're the low end of low end of [real] speakers. IMO the D1 is better value than the ODAC. For an extra $25 you get RCA outputs, headphone amp, excellent DAC, output adjustment, more durable USB input, looks better, has optical input etc. Then comparing it to the O2 + ODAC, it's $70 cheaper, and $110 cheaper than the rear power model.

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

You really think A2's are a fair measurement medium? They're the low end of low end of [real] speakers. IMO the D1 is better value than the ODAC. For an extra $25 you get RCA outputs, headphone amp, excellent DAC, output adjustment, more durable USB input, looks better, has optical input etc. Then comparing it to the O2 + ODAC, it's $70 cheaper, and $110 cheaper than the rear power model.

Erm, a2's aren't low end. ODAC's have RCA outputs, USB durability is irrelevant because you aren't plugging and unplugging it every day like a cellphone, and the headphone amp sucks. High output impedance and it's not powerful.

You can't hear a difference between onboard and a dac with speakers. Period.

You can't hear a difference between onboard and a dac with speakers. Period.

Then how is measuring it's ability based on the fact you can't hear the difference on your budget speakers a fair comment?

Then how is measuring it's ability based on the fact you can't hear the difference on your budget speakers a fair comment?

I do believe you would be pushing to hear a difference between most dacs even on exceptional speakers. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I do believe you would be pushing to hear a difference between most dacs even on exceptional speakers. 

My point still stands...

I'd say its worth it.

Better than my onboard and I use it to power my Swan M50 2.1 speakers and my Audiotechnia ATH-2000x. Love that when you plug a headphone it auto mutes the speakers which are plugged into the rear RCA ports. Also I like how I can run up to 4 way sli/crossfire and still have great sound.

Mayflower may be biased here promoting his own product but whether he is or isnt is beside the point.

Its an excellant price to performance option

I'd say its worth it.

Better than my onboard and I use it to power my Swan M50 2.1 speakers and my Audiotechnia ATH-2000x. Love that when you plug a headphone it auto mutes the speakers which are plugged into the rear RCA ports. Also I like how I can run up to 4 way sli/crossfire and still have great sound.

Mayflower may be biased here promoting his own product but whether he is or isnt is beside the point.

Its an excellant price to performance option

Not once did Mayflower promoted his products in this thread.

Mystery is the source of all true science.

Not once did Mayflower promoted his products in this thread.

he did mention the features of his product in response to lyons post about it, however you are correct, this was not a promotion of his product as he had already given his opinion on the op, which was not to buy anything on account of it not being better (if anything this would be the exact opposite of being biased).

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.