Idle temps went up after replacing thermal paste, but temps under load went down. What gives?

Go to solution Solved by TVwazhere,
4 minutes ago, SnakeEater said:

At idle it was about 26/27 Degrees and under load it got up to about 73ish. Took the thing apart and added new paste and now it's at about 28/29 degrees at idle 

That's within margin or error of your ambient room temperature. I wouldnt worry about that. 

Figured I should replace the thermal compound on my Rx580 since it's pretty old at this point, and checked the temps beforehand. At idle it was about 26/27 Degrees and under load it got up to about 73ish. Took the thing apart and added new paste and now it's at about 28/29 degrees at idle (it was at 34 at one point, but I think the room temperature was different so I turned on AC) and 70-71 during load. Is the difference at idle likely because of difference in room temperature? Or is it possible I didn't add enough thermal paste or something? Also should I have changed out the thermal paste on the RAM or will that not make much of a difference? In the end I figure that the difference here is pretty minor so it probably isn't that big of a deal anyways, but I'm curious about this stuff. 

2 degrees doesn't really matter, and idle temps don't matter that much either. The temps you have a perfectly normal.

4 minutes ago, SnakeEater said:

At idle it was about 26/27 Degrees and under load it got up to about 73ish. Took the thing apart and added new paste and now it's at about 28/29 degrees at idle 

That's within margin or error of your ambient room temperature. I wouldnt worry about that. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

It's perfectly fine. The load temps are what you should be concerned with and it performs better than before.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1