I need help getting a gpu with upgrading my psu

KingISED

So I have just gotten into PC's and my mom got me one without me knowing. So I had to make a compromise and get a random gpu, which was stupid. To get to the point I bought a hp elitedesk G1 tower and I need help getting a gpu. Linus made a vid awhile back talking about this but I'm scared my psu will malfunction. My budget does not matter. 

Specs: 

i7 4770

Gtx 1650 

320 w psu

12 gb ram

1tb hd

Disc drive

15939899576382557221932729002289.jpg

15939900017374793646616520804860.jpg

1 minute ago, KingISED said:

So I have just gotten into PC's and my mom got me one without me knowing. So I had to make a compromise and get a random gpu, which was stupid. To get to the point I bought a hp elitedesk G1 tower and I need help getting a gpu. Linus made a vid awhile back talking about this but I'm scared my psu will malfunction. My budget does not matter. 

So, looks like that motherbaord does not at all use a standard 24 pin, so replacing the PSU with a standard one likely isn't much of an option.

Additionally, the PSU has no GPU power cables at all, nor an Molex cables to adapt to 6 or 8 pin power for a GPU. And even if you could, 16 amps on the 12v rail is not really enough.

So, you have 3 options:

Leave it as it is now

Get the best GPU that doesn't require dedicated power (1050 ti?)

Replace the motherboard with a standard one (it looks like that case uses standard ATX mounting holes, but you would need to verify first....), replace the PSU with a standard PSU, and then you would be able to drop a GPU in there. 

What CPU is it? You may be able to replace the motherboard for relatively cheap depending on whats in the machine.

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

Also if someone can help explain the sata to 8 pin 6pin thing. Thx

1 minute ago, KingISED said:

Also if someone can help explain the sata to 8 pin 6pin thing. Thx

Sata power cables do have a single 12v line. So people do sell SATA to 6 pin connectors. You really... really shouldn't use them though. A 6 pin has 4 12v wires, an 8 pin has 6..... using a converter that takes 2 SATA power plugs and makes it into a 6, your drawing a lot of current over just 2 12v lines.... That can cause over current protection in the PSU to trip, or, worst case, the wires can start to melt from the heat due to the high resistance, and that would be a really, really bad day for everyone. Also, your PSU doesn't have enough power for a "decent" GPU unfortunately.

What GPU do you have in it now? 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

16 minutes ago, LIGISTX said:

So, looks like that motherbaord does not at all use a standard 24 pin, so replacing the PSU with a standard one likely isn't much of an option.

Additionally, the PSU has no GPU power cables at all, nor an Molex cables to adapt to 6 or 8 pin power for a GPU. And even if you could, 16 amps on the 12v rail is not really enough.

So, you have 3 options:

Leave it as it is now

Get the best GPU that doesn't require dedicated power (1050 ti?)

Replace the motherboard with a standard one (it looks like that case uses standard ATX mounting holes, but you would need to verify first....), replace the PSU with a standard PSU, and then you would be able to drop a GPU in there. 

What CPU is it? You may be able to replace the motherboard for relatively cheap depending on whats in the machine.

Here's a fun thing to know. People have made adapters that allow you to adapt a 24 pin regular atx psu to the necessary connectors for hp desktops all you need to do is find the right one for the series of desktop on ebay and you are good to go as those adapters are literally just route the correct wire from the 24 pin to the correct one on the random pin layout of the hp.

21 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Here's a fun thing to know. People have made adapters that allow you to adapt a 24 pin regular atx psu to the necessary connectors for hp desktops all you need to do is find the right one for the series of desktop on ebay and you are good to go as those adapters are literally just route the correct wire from the 24 pin to the correct one on the random pin layout of the hp.

The adapter should also have an inline boost converter too since the motherboard doesn't use +5VSB, but rather +12VSB.

Something like this:  https://www.amazon.com/COMeap-Power-Adapter-Workstation-12-inch/dp/B06XW7RWNH

1 hour ago, LIGISTX said:

Sata power cables do have a single 12v line. So people do sell SATA to 6 pin connectors. You really... really shouldn't use them though. A 6 pin has 4 12v wires, an 8 pin has 6..... using a converter that takes 2 SATA power plugs and makes it into a 6, your drawing a lot of current over just 2 12v lines.... That can cause over current protection in the PSU to trip, or, worst case, the wires can start to melt from the heat due to the high resistance, and that would be a really, really bad day for everyone. Also, your PSU doesn't have enough power for a "decent" GPU unfortunately.

What GPU do you have in it now? 

I have a GTX 1650 

1 hour ago, jaslion said:

Thank you so much

2 hours ago, jaslion said:

Oh, thats pretty cool that that exists. OP, I guess look for one of those... But be damn sure you get the correct one, don't want to send 12v or 5v down the wrong pins.

49 minutes ago, KingISED said:

I have a GTX 1650 

If you go this route, you will just need a new PSU and a new GPU and you should be good to go! 

The 1650 is a 75W GPU that draw all of its power from the PCIe slot (probably except for some really stupid ones that add a PCIe connector fOr OvErClOcKiNg). The PSU is fine for that, no need to replace it

:)

So with this PC am I able to buy a psu? Also if that works what gpu goes best with a i7 4770? Thank you for all your help!

2 hours ago, KingISED said:

So with this PC am I able to buy a psu? Also if that works what gpu goes best with a i7 4770? Thank you for all your help!

If you go with a new psu the sky is the limit. If you do not want a new psu a gtx 1650 WITHOUT a 6 pin connector is the limit. The no new psu way is the easiest.

6 hours ago, jaslion said:

If you go with a new psu the sky is the limit. If you do not want a new psu a gtx 1650 WITHOUT a 6 pin connector is the limit. The no new psu way is the easiest.

Can you show me some good psu's?

3 minutes ago, KingISED said:

Can you show me some good psu's?

Any psu from the b tier or better that is 450w or higher will be good

That case is quite bad for more power hungry gpu:s. I would also try 2x4GB mem config for dual channel if some games have huge fps drops.