RUMOR - Star Wars sequel trilogy nullified

Original source: 

Would this mean "a new hope" to the future of star wars?

Don’t count on it. 

I watched a video about this yesterday, and the source claims they are toying with the idea that someone (whoever - maybe Rey, maybe Ahsoka, they didn’t specify) could enter the world between worlds and “kill” Palpatine before he “arrives” at Exogol, thus preventing many (but not all) of the events preceding the Sequel Trilogy. 

This itself is a retcon in a number of ways. 

First, the Canon explanation for Palpatine is that as he was falling down the shaft on the DSII he used Mind Transfer to send his consciousness across the galaxy to a (defective) clone body waiting for him on Exogol. 

His body (an “empty shell” with no consciousness in it) landed at the bottom of the shaft, possibly exploding, and any remains of his physical body were destroyed with the Death Star. 

The “supposed” retcon is that Palpatine wasn’t a clone at all, and instead used a special Sith device to teleport himself into the World Between Worlds, and then again teleported out into Exogol. 

This could fit with the movie, albeit not perfectly.

Kathleen Kennedy apparently hates the idea and is trying to stamp it out. Favreau apparently favours it. 

A lot of this is rumour and while some industry sources claim the disagreement is real, most don’t think it’ll actually come to be. 

There’s also the massively vocal anti-Disney crowd that are all over this rumour because they feel like it vindicates their opinion about Disney era Star Wars. 

Me? I generally like all the sequel movies including 8 and 9. 8 is an excellent standalone Star Wars movie but a terrible middle-of-trilogy. 9 did it’s best but I think it was doomed. Way too rushed and a lot of missed opportunities.  They are flawed for sure though, but still enjoyable. Rogue One is among the best Star Wars movies period, right up there with Ep 3 and 5. And RO makes ANH a better movie.

I’m also a massive Legends fan. I own pretty

much the entire Legends library (not all of

it, but most of the important post RotJ books). 

However even if this does happen, the ST will simply be rebranded as Legends alternate universe. And even then I simply cannot see them “remaking” a new ST episodes 7, 8, and 9. 

I’m mostly totally okay with Disney Star Wars that is prequel or OT specific - lots of good content there. I was never a fan of the civil war ending only 6 months after Endor.

If I could have legends back and movies based on some of those events, that’d be awesome. But it’s not happening. Even if they erase the ST from canon, Legends isn’t coming back. 

In the end, if they de-canonize the ST in a satisfying way without it being a slap in the face to the talented and enjoyable characters from the ST, I could totally be on board. 

I just don’t see how they could do it in a satisfying way that wasn’t simply pandering to the anti-ST crowd. 

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

On 7/3/2020 at 6:55 PM, dalekphalm said:

Don’t count on it. 

I watched a video about this yesterday, and the source claims they are toying with the idea that someone (whoever - maybe Rey, maybe Ahsoka, they didn’t specify) could enter the world between worlds and “kill” Palpatine before he “arrives” at Exogol, thus preventing many (but not all) of the events preceding the Sequel Trilogy. 

This itself is a retcon in a number of ways. 

First, the Canon explanation for Palpatine is that as he was falling down the shaft on the DSII he used Mind Transfer to send his consciousness across the galaxy to a (defective) clone body waiting for him on Exogol. 

His body (an “empty shell” with no consciousness in it) landed at the bottom of the shaft, possibly exploding, and any remains of his physical body were destroyed with the Death Star. 

The “supposed” retcon is that Palpatine wasn’t a clone at all, and instead used a special Sith device to teleport himself into the World Between Worlds, and then again teleported out into Exogol. 

This could fit with the movie, albeit not perfectly.

Kathleen Kennedy apparently hates the idea and is trying to stamp it out. Favreau apparently favours it. 

A lot of this is rumour and while some industry sources claim the disagreement is real, most don’t think it’ll actually come to be. 

There’s also the massively vocal anti-Disney crowd that are all over this rumour because they feel like it vindicates their opinion about Disney era Star Wars. 

Me? I generally like all the sequel movies including 8 and 9. 8 is an excellent standalone Star Wars movie but a terrible middle-of-trilogy. 9 did it’s best but I think it was doomed. Way too rushed and a lot of missed opportunities.  They are flawed for sure though, but still enjoyable. Rogue One is among the best Star Wars movies period, right up there with Ep 3 and 5. And RO makes ANH a better movie.

I’m also a massive Legends fan. I own pretty

much the entire Legends library (not all of

it, but most of the important post RotJ books). 

However even if this does happen, the ST will simply be rebranded as Legends alternate universe. And even then I simply cannot see them “remaking” a new ST episodes 7, 8, and 9. 

I’m mostly totally okay with Disney Star Wars that is prequel or OT specific - lots of good content there. I was never a fan of the civil war ending only 6 months after Endor.

If I could have legends back and movies based on some of those events, that’d be awesome. But it’s not happening. Even if they erase the ST from canon, Legends isn’t coming back. 

In the end, if they de-canonize the ST in a satisfying way without it being a slap in the face to the talented and enjoyable characters from the ST, I could totally be on board. 

I just don’t see how they could do it in a satisfying way that wasn’t simply pandering to the anti-ST crowd. 

Do think they should have decided to do more films after 8. Rather than just making 9 kinda fix what 8 did. Or they could have just let JJ take all 3 films. Would have rather them finish the trilogy and start a new one to carry it on rather than jam everything into 9. 

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

What sequels?

Last numbered movie released in 2005.

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

4 minutes ago, Andreas Lilja said:

What sequels?

Well the sequels would be the main line films released and set after the original trilogy which is fairly obvious. 

On 7/3/2020 at 1:35 PM, taigopedrosa said:

Original source: 

It could only improve things by wiping out everything past the original Star Wars, Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

2 hours ago, Lord Vile said:

Do think they should have decided to do more films after 8. Rather than just making 9 kinda fix what 8 did. Or they could have just let JJ take all 3 films. Would have rather them finish the trilogy and start a new one to carry it on rather than jam everything into 9. 

I think Episode 9 should have been a 2-parter, assuming that Episode 8 was still made. 

But really to prevent the problem from the beginning they needed to give one person creative control and they didn’t. JJ kinda set the tone but had no direct input on Episode 8 (and was going to have none with 9

too until Trevarrow quit). Feloni and Hidalgo didn’t have any power to make decisions at the film level. And Kennedy didn’t or couldn’t make any narrative decisions, letting the director of each film have significant script control. 

Even if they did different directors, they still need one person saying “this is going to be the plot over the trilogy”, etc. 

I think they are learning this lesson, but we won’t know for sure until the next movie series comes out (whatever that’ll be). 

In the short term they should explore eras outside of the ST era. Go back. Republic era. High republic era. Old republic era (everyone wants this. Do a Revan trilogy), etc. 

Do a movie or series on ancient Jedhai long before the republic. 

Or jump ahead 500 years and the empire is just a footnote in history. 

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

5 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

I think Episode 9 should have been a 2-parter, assuming that Episode 8 was still made. 

But really to prevent the problem from the beginning they needed to give one person creative control and they didn’t. JJ kinda set the tone but had no direct input on Episode 8 (and was going to have none with 9

too until Trevarrow quit). Feloni and Hidalgo didn’t have any power to make decisions at the film level. And Kennedy didn’t or couldn’t make any narrative decisions, letting the director of each film have significant script control. 

Even if they did different directors, they still need one person saying “this is going to be the plot over the trilogy”, etc. 

I think they are learning this lesson, but we won’t know for sure until the next movie series comes out (whatever that’ll be). 

In the short term they should explore eras outside of the ST era. Go back. Republic era. High republic era. Old republic era (everyone wants this. Do a Revan trilogy), etc. 

Do a movie or series on ancient Jedhai long before the republic. 

Or jump ahead 500 years and the empire is just a footnote in history. 

I just want an Obi-Wan film but I guess a series will have to do :(

According to some YouTube channel that reached out to a source at LucasFilm, the rumour has been denied by LucasFilm.

However, it will happen some day. It has to for the series to continue being something of value. Even if it takes until the copyright expires on the SW brand, the sequels, and the prequels, will be discarded from the main SW narrative. They simply are unworthy and spoil the former allure of the brand.

8 hours ago, Andreas Lilja said:

What sequels?

The prequels are also terrible to the point of being unwatchable - I recently tried watching Ep2 and 3 again (didn't even bother with Ep1)... and couldn't keep watching either, they're too bad in so many ways. So, I think that they also have to be retconned out of the SW canon.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

Plot-Twist: Episodes 4-6 are retconned. 

4 hours ago, Lord Vile said:

I just want an Obi-Wan film but I guess a series will have to do :(

Unfortunately the Kenobi movie got canned due to the backlash of Episode 8 that subsequently caused Solo to be a financial failure (ironically, despite Solo being a movie that generally speaking those who disliked Ep 8 would likely enjoy). 

There were other factors, including the limited time between the 2 releases.

Because of that they took the movie and turned it into a series. Honestly I’m okay with that, as long as it’s executed well.

The Mandalorian was really good but far from perfect. My main gripe was the story didn’t feel tight enough. There was too much filler. Hopefully Kenobi doesn’t suffer from that. 

2 hours ago, Delicieuxz said:

According to some YouTube channel that reached out to a source at LucasFilm, the rumour has been denied by LucasFilm.

Of course they will deny it. Even if it was true. 

However, it will happen some day. It has to for the series to continue being something of value.

If we’re talking decades or longer, sure eventually the Star Wars universe might see a reboot of some kind. 

Even if it takes until the copyright expires on the SW brand, the sequels, and the prequels, will be discarded from the main SW narrative. They simply are unworthy and spoil the former allure of the brand.

I think this is in part rose tinted glasses on your part. 

I’m a hardcore Star Wars fan. But frankly, ANH isn’t that good of a movie. Arguably Episode 3 is a better film than Episode 4. The Prequels are just as much Star Wars as the OT is. They might not be your cup of tea, and that’s okay, but a significant portion of Star Wars fans grew up with the PT being their Star Wars movies. 

The prequels are also terrible to the point of being unwatchable - I recently tried watching Ep2 and 3 again (didn't even bother with Ep1)... and couldn't keep watching either, they're too bad in so many ways. So, I think that they also have to be retconned out of the SW canon.

Everyone has their own opinions on this.

Personally I think Ep 2 is the worst of the bunch. Ep 1 has a *lot* of good things going for it. Some excellent parts to it. And Episode 3 is one of the best Star Wars movies (ranked only a little behind 5 and 6). Yes they have flaws but so does the OT. 

So let’s be frank. If it comes to a point we’re the PT is retconned? The entire series will be retconned and the OT will be rebooted entirely with reimagined remakes. 

It needs a decade or two on hold for people to forget, and a changing of the guard in all the positions of power and creative control before a fresh take on it can be tried again.

This won't happen since Disney has to milk the cow they bought, so there is no hope for the ruined franchise, they literally reached back to destroy the originals with what they did in these ones.  It was the last chance with the original cast, and they forced them to watch the ruin.

2 hours ago, GumblesGrambles said:

It needs a decade or two on hold for people to forget, and a changing of the guard in all the positions of power and creative control before a fresh take on it can be tried again.

This won't happen since Disney has to milk the cow they bought, so there is no hope for the ruined franchise, they literally reached back to destroy the originals with what they did in these ones.  It was the last chance with the original cast, and they forced them to watch the ruin.

Talk about absolutely obliterating a franchise. It's astonishing just how badly Disney missed the mark.

On 7/3/2020 at 7:55 PM, dalekphalm said:

I feel like that's what the people hyping this would want for the most part unfortunately...

Anyway if they didn't do it to the prequels I doubt they'll do it to the sequels, especially so soon after they came out.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

2 hours ago, GumblesGrambles said:

I’ll stop you right there. The OT didn’t go anywhere. Episodes 4, 5, and 6 are still there for you to watch and enjoy. 

Mo matter how much you might dislike the ST, and there are lots that do (and there are plenty of legitimate criticisms), it didn’t “ruin” the OT. Nothing can ruin that.

21 minutes ago, Sauron said:

I feel like that's what the people hyping this would want for the most part unfortunately...

Agreed - there are plenty of fans that think these characters (and even some fans that think the actors) are garbage and hate them.

I think there are some bad characters, but by and large the issues with the ST are mainly plot driven, and most of the characters are pretty good. 

21 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Anyway if they didn't do it to the prequels I doubt they'll do it to the sequels, especially so soon after they came out.

True. George got so much backlash he quit making movies and sold his treasured baby to a profit driven corporation. 

I could see a total reboot eventually, but I’m talking 30-40 years from now. 

There is way too much content already in the works (likely with some long term really ambitious stuff to be the next huge thing in Star Wars) for them to do a reboot or Canon-wipe anytime soon. 

And if they’re not gonna do that, I’d be shocked if they were gonna retcon just the ST. 

Sure it’s possible, and sure there are convoluted ways you could in-universe wipe out those events, but it’s so unlikely. 

If they did it with care and integrity, they might even be able to do it well, but that’s very unlikely and would be difficult to do without it just turning into veritable Sequel Hating fan service. 

If I could get Legends back I would. I love it, even with all the trash in Legends. But doing this won’t bring back Legends. 

There's a lifetime's worth of good Star Wars stories that have nothing to do with the clusterfuck that is the sequel trilogy and Disney's mess.

• The Clone Wars - there are a fuckton of shit fuckin episodes, but the good ones are amazing. Umbara Arc, Ahsoka Coruscant Plot, The whole Domino Squad saga minus Season 7, Siege of Mandalore. I have a list if anyone's interested in skipping the shit episodes, about 70% of the show.
  • Knights of the Old Republic, Knights of the Old Republic 2, and to an extent SWTOR
  • Jedi: Fallen Order
  • OG Battlefront and Battlefront 2
  • Empire At Wars
  • Motherfucking Lego Star Wars
  • Jedi Knight, Jedi Outcast, Jedi Academy
  • Republic Commando
  • The Force Unleashed
  • Thrawn Trilogy
  • The Mandalorian

Rogue One wasn't bad at all either.

RIP Star Wars Galaxies, never forget ;-;7

10 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

I’ll stop you right there. The OT didn’t go anywhere. Episodes 4, 5, and 6 are still there for you to watch and enjoy. 

While the originals still exist, the legacy is tainted.  Its the difference between the Matrix and the Matrix Trilogy or if they had ended with Terminator 2 instead of dragging that franchise into the dirt. 

Back to the Future is the example of stopping at perfection.  Stories are about the impressions they leave on you, and you can't forget what you know, once tainted the original isn't quite the same.  Not many things are clean logic, its why if your wife cheats on you, things rarely go back to how they were before that, some things can't be undone.

4 hours ago, GumblesGrambles said:

While the originals still exist, the legacy is tainted.  Its the difference between the Matrix and the Matrix Trilogy or if they had ended with Terminator 2 instead of dragging that franchise into the dirt.

I simply cannot understand this viewpoint. 

I *love* both the Matrix and T2 significantly. Despite how terrible the sequels were for both, I can happily rematch those two movies dozens of times, enjoying every single second. 

I actually feel sorry for you if your hate of the sequels bothers you so much you can’t enjoy perfectly good movies. 

Back to the Future is the example of stopping at perfection.

Eh agree to disagree there. B2F 1

and 3 were fantastic. 2 is overrated but still enjoyable. Certainly not the pinnacle of cinema perfection to me. 

Stories are about the impressions they leave on you, and you can't forget what you know, once tainted the original isn't quite the same.  Not many things are clean logic, its why if your wife cheats on you, things rarely go back to how they were before that, some things can't be undone.

Yeah except that a movie isn’t a cheating spouse. The OT didn’t cheat on you. It’s still there in all it’s glory. Go watch it. If it makes you feel better, pretend the rest don’t exist. 

If you can’t do that? I’m sorry. Truly. I just can’t imagine being so debilitated by something so inconsequential to the point where my favourite movie is ruined. 

5 hours ago, GumblesGrambles said:

Back to the Future is the example of stopping at perfection.  Stories are about the impressions they leave on you, and you can't forget what you know, once tainted the original isn't quite the same.  Not many things are clean logic, its why if your wife cheats on you, things rarely go back to how they were before that, some things can't be undone.

For the love of God, I hope they don't remake Back to the Future. The original was an absolute masterpiece. I have no doubt it would suffer the same fate as Ghostbusters.

I know there have been talks but the original producers won't allow it to happen (yet)

2 hours ago, steelo said:

For the love of God, I hope they don't remake Back to the Future. The original was an absolute masterpiece. I have no doubt it would suffer the same fate as Ghostbusters.

The new Ghostbusters trailers are looking quite good (it has the kid from Stranger Things a Mike). 

The 2016? reboot was... well, not great. Which is weird because the other movies that director has made were largely really good. 

It’s certainly not as horrible as people keep saying, but it’s definitely not a masterpiece by any definition. 

But neither was Ghostbusters 2, so there’s that. 

2 hours ago, steelo said:

I know there have been talks but the original producers won't allow it to happen (yet)

Eventually either a reboot or a sequel will happen. It’s the nature of cinema. Movies and stories have been remade since the dawn of cinema. This isn’t a new concept, and isn’t even inherently a bad thing. It just needs to be executed well, and that often won’t happen when making a quick summer blockbuster is the goal. 

18 hours ago, Aereldor said:

Lego Star Wars

This remains as the only Star Wars media I have watched (excluding a New Hope). 

22 minutes ago, gloop said:

This remains as the only Star Wars media I have watched (excluding a New Hope). 

It's better than the movies ngl

On 7/3/2020 at 7:35 PM, taigopedrosa said:

Original source: 

Doomcock is a known Star Wars hater. He is constantly spreading untrue rumors and misinformation.

I personally don´t care anymore about Star Wars but I don´t see how Disney is stopping to make movies. They bought the franchise for billions and now need to milk it dry

44 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

The new Ghostbusters trailers are looking quite good (it has the kid from Stranger Things a Mike). 

The 2016? reboot was... well, not great. Which is weird because the other movies that director has made were largely really good. 

It’s certainly not as horrible as people keep saying, but it’s definitely not a masterpiece by any definition. 

But neither was Ghostbusters 2, so there’s that. 

Eventually either a reboot or a sequel will happen. It’s the nature of cinema. Movies and stories have been remade since the dawn of cinema. This isn’t a new concept, and isn’t even inherently a bad thing. It just needs to be executed well, and that often won’t happen when making a quick summer blockbuster is the goal. 

I've concluded that many of the present day remakes aren't about improving or the original (at least not in a meaningful way). They are about a quick buck and the producers seeking glory with their Hollywood comrades on how 'woke' they claim to be.