Upgrading from my 1050ti

QVWU
Go to solution Solved by jaslion,
1 minute ago, QVWU said:

Well i do have a better cpu a Threadripper 1920x but dont have a mobo for it. Should i just buy a mobo for the thread ripper and wait for big navi release to buy a graphics card ?

No. First gen threadripper is kinda sorta just bad for gaming. So I'd say sell the 1920x and get a new ryzen cpu when it launches together with whatever new rtx 3000 or big navi gpu you want as they are all launching at the same time anyways.

I bought this card in 2017 and its insurance expired few months ago. Only thing i want is more vram i guess, while playing rdr2 and mea it always lags. I have a i5 7500 cpu on a b250m board. I have 2 PSU's one is ax1500 other one is a zalman 600, i'll sell one of them depending on the card i choos. My budget is around 700$.

(I already cleaned the card and replaced the thermal paste and it changed nearly nothing)

will you be spending all $700 on just the video card?

Go for a 2070 Super or 5700XT with this budget and save the rest of the money.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

either get something like a 1660 super and then wait for ampere and big navi 

or get a 5700xt  for around 400 to 450 ish bucks 

or  get a 2080 super ( which is the best card that you can get in this price point )

the thing is, you are kind of limited by the cpu having only 4c/4t  so that will be a bottleneck ( not a super huge one but a bottleneck nonetheless)  

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

8 minutes ago, tank234 said:

will you be spending all $700 on just the video card?

Yes, i dont really know the market so i just saved up money

Also either way don't use the zalman psu as almost all their units are low end crap. Without knowing the exact model I do not recommend it. An corsair ax1500 whilst older is a very nice psu.

Your main issue is that your whole pc is kinda a problem. A 4c/4t cpu is just not enough for today's big games and will struggle no matter what (upgrading it to the best cpu on your platform is not recommend due to stupid high prices for a cpu that's beaten by a new 3100 for 100$ whilst the prices for a 6700 or 7700 stay around the 200 or higher mark usually).

So yes you can upgrade or what I would do is save up for a complete new build and sell the system as is. Do keep the ax1500 as that is a really good psu. I advice you to do a rebuild around September as new gpu's come out then + ryzen refresh.

9 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

either get something like a 1660 super and then wait for ampere and big navi 

or get a 5700xt  for around 400 to 450 ish bucks 

or  get a 2080 super ( which is the best card that you can get in this price point )

the thing is, you are kind of limited by the cpu having only 4c/4t  so that will be a bottleneck ( not a super huge one but a bottleneck nonetheless)  

Well i do have a better cpu a Threadripper 1920x but dont have a mobo for it. Should i just buy a mobo for the thread ripper and wait for big navi release to buy a graphics card ?

Just now, QVWU said:

Should i just buy a mobo for the thread ripper

no 

not  a good cpu and a dead expensive platform 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

1 minute ago, QVWU said:

No. First gen threadripper is kinda sorta just bad for gaming. So I'd say sell the 1920x and get a new ryzen cpu when it launches together with whatever new rtx 3000 or big navi gpu you want as they are all launching at the same time anyways.

1 minute ago, jaslion said:

Ok, i'll do as you say my friend. Thanks for the help.

Just now, QVWU said:

Ok, i'll do as you say my friend. Thanks for the help.

No problem. I'd say make a new topic in September when the stuff has just launched for some input as to what to get then.

Lol I'm so confused by the parts you have :) where does the thread ripper 1920x and  AX1500 come from?

If you really are itching for an upgrade, then maybe a 3600 or X/XT + B550 or X570 board now will be a good buy; in that you can sell the 3600 for Zen 3 later in the year or 2021 and pick up a new GPU in September/October?

6 minutes ago, QVWU said:

i5 7500 represents a massive bottleneck in any AAA modern game for anything better than RX570/1650 Super. So I can't recommend to buy anything better than these cards or it would be only money wasted in most games at 1080p or 1440p. 4k is completely different story.

Take a time to plan upgrade. Maybe with $700 you can buy a GTX1660 Super and upgrade platform to Zen 2 architetury (maybe Ryzen 3600 or if you cant afford it, Ryzen 3100). You will have MUCH MORE frames and better performance than i5 7500+5700XT in any modern games that really matters.

I read that you have a 1920X. Like people have said, sell it and move to modern CPUs. 

3 hours ago, Nakedpeanut said:

Lol I'm so confused by the parts you have :) where does the thread ripper 1920x and  AX1500 come from?

If you really are itching for an upgrade, then maybe a 3600 or X/XT + B550 or X570 board now will be a good buy; in that you can sell the 3600 for Zen 3 later in the year or 2021 and pick up a new GPU in September/October?

Those parts used to belong to my uncle but he gave them to me when they were upgrading their office pc's :) 

3 hours ago, Nakedpeanut said:

He also gave me couple graphics cards (including my 1050ti) :)