Tips for dealing with OCD / anxiety?

maartendc

Hello all,

Not sure if other people commonly deal with this, but here goes..

Lately I have been having issues with OCD behavior. I think it is being caused by extreme stress at work. I have been working long hours at the office, and feeling very overwhelmed with work. This is causing a general sense of anxiety in my life. I am really getting some OCD behavior, like checking whether I locked the front door of my house like 10 times before I leave the house, etc.

I never really understood people complaining about "anxiety" until now I am actually experiencing it myself.

Anyone have the same problems, and got any tips to manage / solve this? I have heard exercise helps. I bike to work, but other than that have little time lately to get enough exercise.

Thank you!

I have never experienced anything like that, so I'm definitely not an expert, but I find that a general fix when I'm stressed of just feel crappy is to just sit down and do absolutely nothing for an hour or two (which is actually really hard the first 15 minutes) In other words, get super bored for a while.

Otherwise ask someone who really knows what they're talking about. (someone with the same experience who may reply in this thread or perhaps a doctor or something)

First off, I'd probably see a trained professional regarding any health concerns. 

I have had something like this, where I need to check twice where a door is locked or if I left the water pump on etc. The way I get around it, is to admit its just anxiety, its all in my head, which it usually is of course. Or, if its something that takes a second, ill just do it - then there's no need to go back because I've made sure. 

I don't think you can ever get around it, but its just reminding yourself that its just unnecessary and not to worry at all. 

What you experience is very real. My advice (as someone who has dealt with anxiety on and off for 2 decades now) is:

Make sure you are eating well and regularly,  often when we stress we lose our appetite and/or forget to eat.  A common side effect of lack of energy/food is anxiety like symptoms.  If necessary carry muesli bars and upngo's so you can keep up when you are busy.

Second thing to do is make sure your unwind time is real and not interrupted by other work or family expectations.  You don;t need much to recharge and regain your composure, but it has to be real time for yourself to breath.

When it gets so bad you can't manage it, go see a doctor,  SSRI's are not evil and can be a good temporary solution to get you through.   The issue is finding the right one for you and your situation.  Never give up, long term health can be effected by ongoing untreated anxiety.

EDIT: also, just the simple fact of understanding what it is and determining to do something about it goes a long way to helping you feel better right off the cuff.  Once I saw my doctor for the first time and got a plan to fix it, the change was almost instant,  that means just the act of doing something positive for myself had a large impact all by itself.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

• 1 month later...

I haven't replied on this thread, but I just wanted to say that I appreciate all your feedback and tips! Thank you. I think there is some genuinely good advice here.

As some of you have suggested, I think I am going to talk to a professional psychologist about this. It doesn't really seem to be improving much (yet).

Thanks! 👊 🙂

I did a short CBT treatment many years ago for anxiety.

I also took up golf which really helped.

Now I just use the CBT techniques I learnt whenever I have a flare up, also I have learnt time heals so generally know in a few days I will be fine. 

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

7 hours ago, Andreas Lilja said:

Clomipramine ASAP.

Not a fix but rather a cover up, don’t know if you’ve been on anti depressants before but they’ve never helped me and tend to send me into a downwards spiral of paranoia and confusion. I can’t speak for clomipramine specifically as I’ve never taken it.  

honestly marijuana has helped me with my depression and anxiety more than any anti anxiety or anti depressants I’ve taken. sitting down and talking helps a lot to, specifically with me it was anxiety about being accepted and people liking me, sometimes sitting down and having a conversation with the person I’m conflicted about with helps more than anything.

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

Whenever something really gets under my skin, I start counting to ten in binary.

It's harder than it sounds.

By the time I've gotten to 10...errr ten, I've generally forgotten/let go of what was irritating me.

I've had in the past some pretty destructive habits, that took some years to fix, mostly by sheer willpower (this doesn't work for every one) and hitting rock bottom before realizing I need a change. Thankfully those days are long gone.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

While we understand the need for advice with issues like this, some users have recommended specific medication, unfortunately, we can't allow that (even in the case of OTC medication), and would recommend meeting with a healthcare professional instead.

* thread locked *

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !