Ryzen 3600, Gigabyte X570UD - Random Reboots

Raiden8816
Go to solution Solved by Bombastinator,

Not an electrician either.  Just a landlord.

Houses built before the 60’s use knob and tube electric which has no ground (the third pin) adaptors are designed to use the wall plate screw to connect to the electrical box to find ground anyway.  The problem is that with true knob and tube the box isn’t grounded either so it does nothing.   If it’s a ground issue (and it might be) the right way to do it is run modern wiring.  The only other option (And this is an ugly and not suggested hack) is to possibly get a ground by attaching to metal plumbing pipe. The pipe has to be metal ALL the way through.  No plastic repairs.   Getting rid of the knob and tube entirely will mean tearing out every wall and ceiling.  Knob and tube uses the actual walls as an insulator.  House was probably cheap and the reason it was cheap was that wiring.

Good afternoon everyone, I'm posting on the forum since I am running out of ideas for troubleshooting my friend's build that I made for him.

Some context, his old computer before the new build never rebooted randomly. It only started doing it once he moved from his apartment to the home he bought (built in 1942). Also none of the electrical outlets have a three prongs for power, just the old school two prong. He is using a two prong to three prong electrical adapter for his power strip.

He is telling me that there are times that it rebooted at random intervals. I first noticed that he installed Windows10 build 2004 if that makes any difference. He is getting Event ID 41, kernel power per event viewer.

Here is some troubleshooting I have done;

- I did sfc /scannow and it found some corrupted issues that it fixed.
- Can't do chkdsk due to build 2004 problems.
- Disabled fastboot, set system to high performance power mode, and disabled all hybrid sleep/hard drive sleep options.
- Swapped out his old Corsair CX750M for a new EVGA 850GA.
- Installed AMD chipset drivers, and set power plan to Ryzen high performance.

- Went into power settings and disabled all sleep states for the HDD and for the system.
- Updated his BIOS from F12e 03/06/20 to F20a 06/16/20.
- Set BIOS to optimized defaults, but enabled XMP Profile 1 which OC to 3600, Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3600. Note it still crashed before the OC was applied.

I have disabled Spread Specturm Control and so far it's been running fine for roughly an hour and it randomly rebooted.

- Reverted from 2004 back to 1909, and installed all updates needed for 1909. Delayed 2004 build by 365 days.
- Ran sfc /scannow, and it fixed some corrupted issues again.
- Now being on 1909, I am running chkdsk command.
- System was running good for another 21 minutes and randomly rebooted.

- Installed AMD chipset drivers again on build 1909, and set power plan to Ryzen high performance.

- Verified again via power settings that all sleep states for the HDD and for the system are disabled.

- Computer worked great and called it a night. (Saturday 2am)

- He came home from work Saturday afternoon and had a 5 hour stream without issues until he closed OBS and it reset.

- Come to find out today (Sunday) that he was watching Netflix via Chrome and 30 minutes into Trailer Park Boys, it reset again.

- This morning I also suggested to turn off hardware acceleration for Chrome, and Discord.

- Told me it was running good for about 30 minutes before he turned it off to bring the system to my house for more testing. 

- Ran MemTest86 and it passed all four tests with zero errors, 3 hours later (at my house).

If everything is fine with the system, I am thinking it could be his house electrical? Just spitballing some ideas.

Will find out his results from later today and edit the post. 

2 minutes ago, Raiden8816 said:

Some context, his old computer before the new build never rebooted randomly. It only started doing it once he moved from his apartment to the home he bought (built in 1942). Also none of the electrical outlets have a three prongs for power, just the old school two prong. He is using a two prong to three prong electrical adapter for his power strip.

im not an electrician but im pretty sure that a three prong needs the three holes for a reason (grounding?). I would assume that's the issue.

Not an electrician either.  Just a landlord.

Houses built before the 60’s use knob and tube electric which has no ground (the third pin) adaptors are designed to use the wall plate screw to connect to the electrical box to find ground anyway.  The problem is that with true knob and tube the box isn’t grounded either so it does nothing.   If it’s a ground issue (and it might be) the right way to do it is run modern wiring.  The only other option (And this is an ugly and not suggested hack) is to possibly get a ground by attaching to metal plumbing pipe. The pipe has to be metal ALL the way through.  No plastic repairs.   Getting rid of the knob and tube entirely will mean tearing out every wall and ceiling.  Knob and tube uses the actual walls as an insulator.  House was probably cheap and the reason it was cheap was that wiring.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

So update for everyone, he took it home after the 3 hour stress test at my house.  It rebooted 10 minutes in. So I had him try a different power strip. Same issue with rebooting.

Then I told him to try a different outlet. He tried the one in the master bedroom near his streaming room, sure enough that worked. Turns out the mancave and master bedroom are on a different circuit compared to the rest of the house.