Why some people need to clean everything?

homeap5

I read lot of posts on this forum and from time to time someone asks about "how to debloat Windows" (or similar).

I don't really understand why people wants to remove some tiny, harmless applications? Computers these days have huge drives, modern operating system can handle basically any number of programs and I see no point to buying computer then limit it functionality.

Of course - I can understand that someone may not use some tools now, but who knows - maybe later they turn out to be useful? Like "Your Phone" - completely useless for me until I tried it and from there I'm using it all the time. Lot of other programs? They all do something that may be interesting at some point. Everything is more interesting than, for example, reinstalling Windows (which is hobby of many users).

My friend has high end PC with basically everything - big NVME drive(s), i9 9900K, 64GB ram (or even 128GB now), few other ssd drives and he asks me from time to time "hey, I have this file xxx.yyy, can you open it for me?" or "can you encode this video - you have nice tools for that". When I ask him why he can't just install the same tools, he answers me that he don't need them... LOL.

Computer experience is better when more tools and programs are installed. Even speed of work is higher when you have more useful tools that can help you with basic operations. Not only boot time matters. I can wait even 20 seconds longer, but have possibility to better control everything later and improve my work.

This is just my point of view, but IMO debloating, uninstalling programs, removing unused tools etc. is waste of time and waste of money (when someone buy powerful computer that can handle lot of heavy tasks and then limit number of these tasks because he wants to have more "clean" system). So I want to know your opinion, but personally I recommend people to install as many nice tools and programs as possible. Five video players? Why not! 3 music players, 6 different browsers, some additional monitoring tools, various graphics software, various video editing tools? Sure! More = better!

Depends what you're talking about - usually when people in these circles talk of "debloating windows" it's about removing stuff like MS Telemetry, the preinstalled sponsored games and crap lile OneDrive that's intrusive and annoying if you don't use it etc.

I have hundreds of programs installed and indeed no issue, the only thing I do is disable startup launch for most stuff that does stuff at boot time that uses resources without providing any advantage, of which there's quite a bit of.

Apart from that I'll just run through the installed programs once or twice a year to check for stuff I really never use anymore.

Your friend is ridiculous though.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Usually programs like your're listing are loaded into Windows minimally and have a "control panel" of sorts in the lower right corner.  If you don't use them often, it's just wasted resources, additional heat generated, etc.  It may be minor but every little bit costs money in electricity or can impact RAM used or CPU cycles when you need them.

If you own a car, you don't keep excess junk in the trunk or tires not at optimal inflation.... it wastes gas and gas is money.  Or a house that's cluttered, hoarding isn't necessarily a good thing.

Your friend tho…  sounds like he has a serious rig that he can't be bothered to utilize for his own needs.  Not very cool.

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

I keep my PC clean with what I need. Keeping nonsense, bloatware, and junk on there just slows you down, wastes space, and introduces security/privacy risks.

If I need something, and I don't have it, I install it. Simple as that. But at the same time I like to keep my PC full of only what I need, and nothing more. I think it's good practice to dejunk unnecessary shit off your computer. There's literally no downside, and the only excuse is laziness.

Plus most internet today comes in like lightning, so if I accidentally deleted something that I need, I can have it downloaded/installed in 2 minutes. Then I'm working off a clean plate too.

Gaming Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x   |  GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 2080 SUPER Advanced (2115Mhz Core | 9251Mhz Memory) |  Motherboard: Asus X570 TUF GAMING-PLUS  |  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3600MHz 16GB  |  PSU: Corsair RM850x  |  Storage: 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro, 250GB Samsung 840 Evo, 500GB Samsung 840 Evo  |  Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro XT  |  Case: Lian Li PC-O11

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 34GK950F  |  Sound: Sennheiser HD 598  |  Mic: Blue Yeti  |  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum  |  Mouse: Logitech G502

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

Ryzen 7 4800HS, GTX1660Ti, 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz, 512GB nVME, 144hz

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

36 minutes ago, PacketMan said:

No, that's actually bloat, it's better when YOUR tools are actually installed, I don't even need half of the bloat Windows "gives" us (to spy on us, perhaps?)

My computer shouldn't be running things without letting me know, that's what Windows does, you have zero control over your OS

Why would I need all those fucking stupid games Windows come with? Or netflix? Or everything that seems sponsored? Why do I have to share my information with Microsoft when I fully paid for the OS? Why do I have to still enable some things that I specifically turned off on the settings? Windows is an OS from the novel 1984

You know, you don't need Netflix until you realized, for example, that your favorite browser displays only 720p movies on Netflix while Windows app gives you full 1080p. I'm using it all the time.

It's not spying, you know. Collecting informations are not for demand ransom from you later. It's for Microsoft to improve their system. Years ago they need months and lot of testers and still Windows ME was released. Now every bug is not only reported, but based on data your computer send to Microsoft, patch is released quickly. Also Microsoft can debloat Windows because of telemetry. Look at Cortana - it's no longer part of control panel and it's separate tool now. Why? Because Microsoft get anonymouse informations than very low percentage of people using it. The same about other data. It's not that someone sitting in Microsoft's office and reads your emails or private stuff - you're not that interesting (not personally, I'm not that interesting too, none of us are). It's just a data. Try to write some program and you'll see how even basic "call home" or telemetry can help you improving your stuff. Sure, it's annoying but it's faster that way.

For being more precisse - I was not talking about installing random tools and programs without need. But if someone install, for example, 6 video players, then may realize that, for example, overrated VLC is not as good as PotPlayer, GOM or Splash. Instead of using just one and complain that it sucks, better to have alternatives.

44 minutes ago, PacketMan said:

It's my operating system, and I'm no cow for them to milk me with ads and spyware, that's one reason Linux is growing faster than with Windows XP/7

This point is even worse when you consider you have to pay $100+ for a Windows license through official channels. So not only are you expected to pay so much for an OS, but it also shoves sponsored games and spyware onto your system to make more money off of you.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

I use more than one computer and for years one of them would be a spartan gaming only rig that would not browse the internet and have no antivirus and Windows would be skimmed down to a bare minimum.  I found that after moving from 4 to 6 core CPUs I did not need to go spartan any more. 

The only thing I do now is check the startup so programs that don't need to start up with the OS don't.

I only uninstall games now. Not really anything else.

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

1 hour ago, homeap5 said:

You know, you don't need Netflix until you realized, for example, that your favorite browser displays only 720p movies on Netflix while Windows app gives you full 1080p. I'm using it all the time.

It's not spying, you know. Collecting informations are not for demand ransom from you later. It's for Microsoft to improve their system. Years ago they need months and lot of testers and still Windows ME was released. Now every bug is not only reported, but based on data your computer send to Microsoft, patch is released quickly. Also Microsoft can debloat Windows because of telemetry. Look at Cortana - it's no longer part of control panel and it's separate tool now. Why? Because Microsoft get anonymouse informations than very low percentage of people using it. The same about other data. It's not that someone sitting in Microsoft's office and reads your emails or private stuff - you're not that interesting (not personally, I'm not that interesting too, none of us are). It's just a data. Try to write some program and you'll see how even basic "call home" or telemetry can help you improving your stuff. Sure, it's annoying but it's faster that way.

For being more precisse - I was not talking about installing random tools and programs without need. But if someone install, for example, 6 video players, then may realize that, for example, overrated VLC is not as good as PotPlayer, GOM or Splash. Instead of using just one and complain that it sucks, better to have alternatives.

For starters, lots of apps do spy. I'm not necessarily speaking directly about the ones you suggested, but personal data, is the most valuable resource on our planet. It is officially more valuable than anything that comes out of the Earth.

The collection, and sale of *your* personal data is a multi trillion dollar industry, and the vast majority of it is harvested, and sold, without your consent. So, someone at Microsoft/Google isn't sitting there skimming through your emails, but you can be damn sure every single one of your emails/chats/personal data gathered from a wide array of programs is processed, data points are gathered on you, profiles are built on you, and all that information is sold.

Saying "It's just data, none of us are that interesting" is the most uneducated, naive things you could say on the topic of the sale of personal information.

Onto the actual programs, nobody needs 6 media players on their computer. That's a waste of space, time, and just opens you up to security risks. I'm not saying VLC is the end all be all in this instance, but many people pick it because it works great, it's FOSS, and it's reputable. If you want to look around and find the best one for you personal needs, send it, but having multiples of every different program type is usually a bad idea.

I think at the end of the day, people delete/uninstall/disable many features that you may consider useful, because they don't find them useful, or they don't like the hidden catches that come with it, that's for you to decide. If you want to enable everything/download everything, then it's your computer. Send it. But it tends to lean towards a cleaner, faster, safer, more private, easier to use, computing experience if you keep things tidy.

Gaming Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x   |  GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 2080 SUPER Advanced (2115Mhz Core | 9251Mhz Memory) |  Motherboard: Asus X570 TUF GAMING-PLUS  |  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3600MHz 16GB  |  PSU: Corsair RM850x  |  Storage: 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro, 250GB Samsung 840 Evo, 500GB Samsung 840 Evo  |  Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro XT  |  Case: Lian Li PC-O11

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 34GK950F  |  Sound: Sennheiser HD 598  |  Mic: Blue Yeti  |  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum  |  Mouse: Logitech G502

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

25 minutes ago, Statik said:

Onto the actual programs, nobody needs 6 media players on their computer (...)

And then I can find posts like "my VLC (or other player) have problem with video file". And after someone ask "do you try other player?" answer is in most cases "no". IMO it's faster to use from time to time backup player for one strange file than fighting with potential bug in current default one.

About personal data - yes, they're really important and worth millions, but not unrelated. If I want to sell anyone list of users first names, then no matter how big is that database, it's useless in most cases.

Telemetry is not the same as data for sell. It's automatic feedback about how application or system function works. If I ask 1000 people "how do you like my program" then I get 1000 answers like "works good", "works bad", "freezes" etc. I still get lot of data, but without any personal data, so that database will be useless for sell. It's only useful for me and only for improving my program. If you read carefully what type of data Microsoft collects, you may find that it's never personal data.

14 minutes ago, homeap5 said:

And then I can find posts like "my VLC (or other player) have problem with video file". And after someone ask "do you try other player?" answer is in most cases "no". IMO it's faster to use from time to time backup player for one strange file than fighting with potential bug in current default one.

About personal data - yes, they're really important and worth TRILLIONS, but not unrelated. If I want to sell anyone list of users first names, then no matter how big is that database, it's useless in most cases.

Telemetry is not the same as data for sell. It's automatic feedback about how application or system function works. If I ask 1000 people "how do you like my program" then I get 1000 answers like "works good", "works bad", "freezes" etc. I still get lot of data, but without any personal data, so that database will be useless for sell. It's only useful for me and only for improving my program. If you read carefully what type of data Microsoft collects, you may find that it's never personal data.

I'm not arguing which media player is best. I'm stating why people don't have multiples of every program type. The vast majority of people find a program (e.g. VLC, WMP, etc) and stick with it, because it works. If you need to change, change. But sitting there with 5 different programs that all have the same function wastes space, and is a security risk. You're also misinterpreting what I was saying. I'm not saying you have to pick a program and ride or die. I'm just saying that having 6 media players on your computer is bloating, messy, and a possible threat.  

I also understand that they gather information to make their services better, I'm not denying that. But I'm also saying that so many companies harvest your personal information on a massive level, without your knowledge, consent, or without giving you the right to opt out, and that's undeniable. 

I was also more behind having unnecessary programs on your computer, each and every one of those poses a security risk (theoretically). If you're subscribed to and/or downloaded several programs and just let them sit there, all it takes is for one of those programs to be compromised, and now you, your emails/passwords/PC/Phone compromised. It's one of the most basic principals of computer/mobile security, only have the programs you need installed, and no more.

EDIT: I also edited your quote to reflect the numbers. Data isn't important and worth millions, it's worth trillions and influential enough to sway elections in the United States.. It literally has the power to change the world.

It's also so much bigger than "a database of peoples first names". These big name companies collect thousands of data points on a person, and they use data from your personal private info, to build data points on people you're connected to. They don't just have a list of your names, that they sell, it's data from emails, photos, media, etc, etc. It's bigger than we can fathom.

Gaming Build:

Peripherals:

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

53 minutes ago, Statik said:

I'm not arguing which media player is best. I'm stating why people don't have multiples of every program type. The vast majority of people find a program (e.g. VLC, WMP, etc) and stick with it, because it works. If you need to change, change. But sitting there with 5 different programs that all have the same function wastes space, and is a security risk. You're also misinterpreting what I was saying. I'm not saying you have to pick a program and ride or die. I'm just saying that having 6 media players on your computer is bloating, messy, and a possible threat.  

If everything may be a threat then best thing is to be unplugged.

But that is not why is worth to have 6 video players. First thing is to choose best one for user. I prefer to choose myself than just installing one (no matter recommended or just first I found). Second - different players have different useful options. Splash has great smooth play (calculating missing frames like modern TV), PotPlayer have lot of options and is highly customizable, GOM is useful sometimes if I found video that makes problems with other players, VLC may be useful for playing some streaming videos etc. Sure, I can just use PotPlayer, but I like to have more options just in case.

9 minutes ago, homeap5 said:

If everything may be a threat then best thing is to be unplugged.

But that is not why is worth to have 6 video players. First thing is to choose best one for user. I prefer to choose myself than just installing one (no matter recommended or just first I found). Second - different players have different useful options. Splash has great smooth play (calculating missing frames like modern TV), PotPlayer have lot of options and is highly customizable, GOM is useful sometimes if I found video that makes problems with other players, VLC may be useful for playing some streaming videos etc. Sure, I can just use PotPlayer, but I like to have more options just in case.

I don't know why you keep turning this into an argument over why you should have multiple media players. If you feel you need several, then have several.

Saying you should just unplug it is a ridiculous statement. It's all about your personal idea of security/privacy, and the concept is limiting as many threats as possible. Just blindly accepting them going "oh well can't beat them" is lazy.

If you want options, I tbh couldn't give two fucks.

You simply asked in the original post why people want to remove "tiny, harmless apps", and I answered. It's because these apps have the possibility of not being harmless, so it's on you to assess if the pro's outweigh the risks. Not to mention that stacking a bunch of useless programs and apps ontop of each other eventually bogs a system down, even if only slightly, so why wouldn't you trim the fat and maximize the power of your computer? I'm not justifying your friend, or saying he's in the right. I think that was dumb, but I'm simply answering why people keep their computers clean.. It's the same reasons you should keep anything in your life clean.

Gaming Build:

Peripherals:

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

4 minutes ago, Statik said:

Saying you should just unplug it is a ridiculous statement. It's all about your personal idea of security/privacy, and the concept is limiting as many threats as possible.

I agree about the "unplug" stance. 

Having one app that grabs data or 100 basically doesn't make a difference since everything gets onto the "marketplace" one way or another, anyone who wants your data will get it, if they don't collect it themselves they'll buy it instead. The only way not to have data around is being sure to have 0 app grabbing data, which is almost impossible today.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

9 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

I agree about the "unplug" stance. 

Having one app that grabs data or 100 basically doesn't make a difference since everything gets onto the "marketplace" one way or another, anyone who wants your data will get it, if they don't collect it themselves they'll buy it instead. The only way not to have data around is being sure to have 0 app grabbing data, which is almost impossible today.

I don't necessarily agree with the 2nd part of that statement.

I think if you limit trackers, social media, and are aware of the programs that you have on your computer, and you take an active roll in minimizing your "electronic footprint", the amount of information about you that makes its way onto the marketplace is much smaller.

For example, if someone doesn't use cancer media like Facebook, uses a VPN, runs privacy extensions, tries to only use FOSS where possible, uses secure end-to-end encryption, etc, they will have a much smaller amount of information on the "market" than your typical location "on", tweeting, FB updating, using gmail for everything person.

I obviously have data out there, I know that for a fact, but I just try to make a conscious effort to minimize it where I can, and protect the data that I may consider more "sensitive". I like to think that a hole in a garden hose will leak much less water than a blown water line.

Then there's also the security side of it. Running tons of random programs on your computer obviously open you up to the risk of one of those programs being compromised and letting people like hackers in, or releasing personal information to those types of people.

Gaming Build:

Peripherals:

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

If my choice is to be happy or paranoid - I'll take first choice. You may think it's so unsecure to have lot of different apps installed, I call it using computer.

The same way if someone playing games, should play only one or two, because more = less secure (every game can have backdoor and be potential thread). Sorry, I'm not paranoid and computer is important part of my life, but it's not my god. My life is more important for me than health of my computer and still I don't have three bodyguards and drive a car even if it's not as safe as staying home. I'll not protect my computer more than my personal life. It's my work center, media center but most important - my creation tool. It supposed to be funny, can be bloat sometimes, can be useful etc. If I want to clean something, I prefer to clean my room or kitchen.

5 hours ago, homeap5 said:

<snip>

Simple.

Each to their own way.

Simple.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

53 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

Simple.

Each to their own way.

Simple.

I could agree except many people wants to have a cake and eat one. People expect that system itself give them all tools (built in), but only these that they need. And because different people needs different things - Microsoft adds more and more programs. Believe me or not, but I "fixing" once win7 because there was no Solitaire installed by default and my friend's wife complain about it. And when Microsoft removed start menu in win8, there was so many complains about it so they give people start back, even if there was few good and nice 3rd party programs that do the same or even more. I think Microsoft should release Windows 11 that install different for every user, depends on their needs... Oh, sorry, that is impossible because people don't want telemetry. :)

People refuses to install 3rd party tools, but then complain that built-in tools are so poor. Why built-in disk management have no all functions like in professional disk management software? Microsoft should do that! Why task manager is not as good as, for example, Resource Hacker? Why people wants to have powerful tools and refuses to install them? Sure, removing bloatware is nice hobby, but nothing more. Using computer (real using) is always a mess - if you, for example, wants to be music composer, you'll end (if you want or not) with lot of VST plugins using sometimes different systems and installers and lot of files, directories etc. If you want to be graphics designer, you'll end with Adobe packet which contains more bloat than 500 other tools. If you want to be movie maker - you'll end with lot of programs to encode, plugins for Premiere, settings etc. Only if you do nothing interesting on your computer, you can be clean and bloatware free. It's like being car mechanic - you can have clean workplace without any tools, or lot of keys, screws, tools and other hardware, even if some of them are rarely used. Can you really trust car mechanic that have only one, brand new, clean screwdriver and nothing more? :)

4 hours ago, homeap5 said:

-snip-

You're really over thinking this my man. I'm not paranoid, I'm just contentious about what I put on my computer is all. After all, our entire lives (finances, jobs, relationships) all revolve around our personal technology, so why not be safe?

The only times I've ever restricted myself from downloading a game/program is when there's been a blatant issue/security and I've decided the risk isn't worth the reward (i.e. security breaches, blatantly fucked up software -I'm looking at you valorant-). I'm not running around deleting and uninstalling everything trying to be the next Snowden.

At the end of the day I don't like my computer filled with junk that I don't use. Just as I don't like my house filled with junk I don't use. I don't think that's paranoid. I also just take my security seriously, I don't think that's an issue. If instead of installing everything around me, I can do some research, and find a safe, reputable, preferably open source alternative, I'll consider that, because, hey, why not? I enjoy giving myself the piece of mind by knowing I'm more safe/private on the internet than 90% of the population.

I was never telling you what you can and can't do on your computer, if you want to install everything on your fun machine, and have alternatives for every program, and have every windows feature enabled, fill your boots, it's your prerogative. I was simply explaining the reasoning behind the literal question that you asked, I don't know why you're fighting it.

Gaming Build:

Peripherals:

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

4 hours ago, homeap5 said:

Sure, removing bloatware is nice hobby, but nothing more. Using computer (real using) is always a mess - if you, for example, wants to be music composer, you'll end (if you want or not) with lot of VST plugins using sometimes different systems and installers and lot of files, directories etc. If you want to be graphics designer, you'll end with Adobe packet which contains more bloat than 500 other tools. If you want to be movie maker - you'll end with lot of programs to encode, plugins for Premiere, settings etc. Only if you do nothing interesting on your computer, you can be clean and bloatware free.

I don't think you're describing bloat(ware) correctly.

If you're a music producer/graphic designer/movie maker, and you have a ton of plugins, that's not bloat, that's literal things you need to do your job/hobby. That would be no different than saying downloading games is "bloating" your computer with giant game files. If you have 100 programs on your computer, but only use 25-30, you have 70-75 other programs using drive space, likely not being updated (security risk), making unneeded network connections, using precious RAM. That's bloat.

Gaming Build:

Peripherals:

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

3 hours ago, Statik said:

I was never telling you what you can and can't do on your computer, if you want to install everything on your fun machine, and have alternatives for every program, and have every windows feature enabled, fill your boots, it's your prerogative. I was simply explaining the reasoning behind the literal question that you asked, I don't know why you're fighting it.

I can ask you the same question - why you're fighting with my point of view? No, we're not fighting, this is called discussion and that is how it looks like. I have arguments you arguing with, and you have your arguments I arguing with. Nothing wrong with that.

3 hours ago, Statik said:

If you have 100 programs on your computer, but only use 25-30, you have 70-75 other programs using drive space, likely not being updated (security risk), making unneeded network connections, using precious RAM. That's bloat.

You'll never use all of your software every day. Some tools are needed once per half year, but still they're needed. Do you using registry editor? Most of users don't use it, but still nobody asks "how to uninstall regedit, because I don't need it". Partition managers are programs that you're using rarely (in most cases), but still it's useful software. What is the point of installing that type of software and uninstalling it after use to be "more clean"? If program don't start with system, it's just bunch of files that are stored on your drive. Nothing wrong or harmful.

Files that you don't use don't spill out of the back of the monitor. The whole point of cleaning your desk or room etc. is to keep it clean, because mess (real one) makes life a little more difficult and unpleasant. When you have lot of files on drive, it's no different for you than if you have clean, formatted drive (I assume that you don't have all of the files in root directory without any subdirectories).

Every program can be used and can be interesting. I'm not talking about installing all programs, no matter if you need them or not. I'm just talking that if Microsoft preinstalls some software, you don't must "debloat" your system by uninstalling them. They may be useful, but if not - leaving them is no different than uninstalling them, except when you leave them, you may not focusing on non-important cleaning and be happy using system as is.

I can ask you the same question - why you're fighting with my point of view? No, we're not fighting, this is called discussion and that is how it looks like. I have arguments you arguing with, and you have your arguments I arguing with. Nothing wrong with that.

I'm not fighting your point of view. I literally said several times it's your computer, and do with it what you want.

You're telling me that having tons of 3rd party software isn't a risk, and you're telling me that companies like microsoft aren't harvesting data through their apps and software, which isn't true.

You'll never use all of your software every day. Some tools are needed once per half year, but still they're needed. Do you using registry editor? Most of users don't use it, but still nobody asks "how to uninstall regedit, because I don't need it". Partition managers are programs that you're using rarely (in most cases), but still it's useful software. What is the point of installing that type of software and uninstalling it after use to be "more clean"? If program don't start with system, it's just bunch of files that are stored on your drive. Nothing wrong or harmful.

Files that you don't use don't spill out of the back of the monitor. The whole point of cleaning your desk or room etc. is to keep it clean, because mess (real one) makes life a little more difficult and unpleasant. When you have lot of files on drive, it's no different for you than if you have clean, formatted drive (I assume that you don't have all of the files in root directory without any subdirectories).

Every program can be used and can be interesting. I'm not talking about installing all programs, no matter if you need them or not. I'm just talking that if Microsoft preinstalls some software, you don't must "debloat" your system by uninstalling them. They may be useful, but if not - leaving them is no different than uninstalling them, except when you leave them, you may not focusing on non-important cleaning and be happy using system as is.

For starters, things like regedit can't be deleted.. Hell, fucking Cortana can't even be deleted without going through your registry.

If you're strictly speaking about OS's, there's a big difference in having something that comes base with your OS that is required for it's functionality (i.e. regedit), and the apps and software that come with it (i.e. the "My Phone" app you referenced). Some of these programs and features, people (including myself), will never use. So why have it? Majority of windows features like that, I literally will never touch in my life. So I don't want them.

If you're referencing 3rd party software, if it's something you seldom use, but want to keep (I use Gigapixel AI on my computer like twice a year maybe), then go for it, I keep it around. But I personally don't need several media players. I use VLC and I've never had an issue or a need for anything else, so wouldn't you agree it would be rather pointless for me to have 5 other 3rd party software's just sitting in a folder somewhere?

No files don't "spill out the back of the monitor" but they take precious drive space. My computers only run on SSDs, so I'm not wasting that expensive space with useless programs I'll literally never use. If it's something I use, or may use, yes I'll keep it. But I'm not going to keep 5 media players, 3 compression softwares, 2 video editors, and 3 browsers on my computer, because frankly I'll only ever use 1 of each. If by some fluke something happens and I have an issue and need another, I can simply download one, use it, and either keep it or delete it when I'm done.

I like my PC being clean, easy to navigate, and not full of stuff that I never use. That's just how I roll, and that's how a lot of people roll. It's the answer to your question...

Gaming Build:

Peripherals:

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

41 minutes ago, Statik said:

I like my PC being clean, easy to navigate, and not full of stuff that I never use. That's just how I roll, and that's how a lot of people roll. It's the answer to your question...

First - your PC is the same "clean" if you have 1 or 100 programs installed. But your "clean" definition is different. Yours is just different name for "empty" or "with limited number of software".

Second - it's your answer to my question. Do not use definitive answers like you were some kind of sage and your answer is the only proper one. I know why people delete software, I have one friend that ask for almost every pixel "do I really need it"? But I don't think it gives any benefits. I mostly think about it as obsessive-compulsive disorder. At least from my experience with users.

9 minutes ago, homeap5 said:

First - your PC is the same "clean" if you have 1 or 100 programs installed. But your "clean" definition is different. Yours is just different name for "empty" or "with limited number of software".

Second - it's your answer to my question. Do not use definitive answers like you were some kind of sage and your answer is the only proper one. I know why people delete software, I have one friend that ask for almost every pixel "do I really need it"? But I don't think it gives any benefits. I mostly think about it as obsessive-compulsive disorder. At least from my experience with users.

You think people deleting unwanted things off their computer is directly related to OCD? Do you smoke rock?

I get people have different reasoning here and there, but the majority of people clean their computers because they want them clean. It's literally the same reason they clean anything else in their life. To keep it clean, organized, and well functioning. But I've stated that close to 5 times now and you're not absorbing that, so best of luck in finding the answer you want.

Gaming Build:

Peripherals:

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

32 minutes ago, Statik said:

You think people deleting unwanted things off their computer is directly related to OCD? Do you smoke rock?

I get people have different reasoning here and there, but the majority of people clean their computers because they want them clean. It's literally the same reason they clean anything else in their life. To keep it clean, organized, and well functioning. But I've stated that close to 5 times now and you're not absorbing that, so best of luck in finding the answer you want.

That was not question "why". My post is in "General Discussion" section, so we discuss. I only expecting discussion, not definitive answers.

People clean their computers because they want their computers clean? It's not really answer that has any sense. I clean my flat not because I like to clean, but because is dirty and needs to be cleaned. If my computer is dirty, I'm using vacuum or compressed air. If I see someone who wants to have as small number of files as possible because wants to be somehow "clean", it's just something that seems irrational.

2 minutes ago, homeap5 said:

That was not question "why". My post is in "General Discussion" section, so we discuss. I only expecting discussion, not definitive answers.

If that's the case I invite you to re-read your title...

2 minutes ago, homeap5 said:

People clean their computers because they want their computers clean? It's not really answer that has any sense. I clean my flat not because I like to clean, but because is dirty and needs to be cleaned. If my computer is dirty, I'm using vacuum or compressed air. If I see someone who wants to have as small number of files as possible because wants to be somehow "clean", it's just something that seems irrational.

I don't think you're grasping the concept of unnecessary programs bogging down your computer, or posing a security risk. I've tried to explain it in every post but you're not understanding, so I'm going to move on with my life. Good luck.

Gaming Build:

Peripherals:

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro