3000 NVidia + PCIE 3.0 or 4.0?

Rauten

Good day ladies and gentlemen,

I have some plans to upgrade my current build while reusing the motherboard, but I do have a spot of concern -  what if the Ampere cards need PCIE 4.0 to perform correctly?

Now, I realize this is unlikely as even a 2080Ti barely overwhelms a PCIE3.0 8x slot (why yes, I just googled that) but the possibility still bothers me.

I've been looking around the internet but can't find anything definitive about it, so I turn to you for knowledge - Has there been any indication or data supporting the idea that Ampere might need PCIE 4.0? Or on the contrary, PCIE 3.0 can still serve me well for many years?

Context: Some juicy deals going on for the R9 3900x in my country right now and really tempted to pull the trigger, and I want to keep using my X370 motherboard. No point in buying this CPU right now if the GPU is going to force me to change platform later this year.

I doubt it'll make a noticeable difference whether you're on PCIe 4.0 or PCIe 3.0 16x.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

4 minutes ago, Rauten said:

what if the Ampere cards need PCIE 4.0 to perform correctly?

It won't ,

Ok well its not guaranteed that it won't but considering the generational improvements we get 

It's not huge and I don't expect this to be a massive ground breaking thing 

Even if it was, it will likely only saturate the x16 gen 3 bandwidth .

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

10 minutes ago, Rauten said:

Good day ladies and gentlemen,

I have some plans to upgrade my current build while reusing the motherboard, but I do have a spot of concern -  what if the Ampere cards need PCIE 4.0 to perform correctly?

Now, I realize this is unlikely as even a 2080Ti barely overwhelms a PCIE3.0 8x slot (why yes, I just googled that) but the possibility still bothers me.

I've been looking around the internet but can't find anything definitive about it, so I turn to you for knowledge - Has there been any indication or data supporting the idea that Ampere might need PCIE 4.0? Or on the contrary, PCIE 3.0 can still serve me well for many years?

Context: Some juicy deals going on for the R9 3900x in my country right now and really tempted to pull the trigger, and I want to keep using my X370 motherboard. No point in buying this CPU right now if the GPU is going to force me to change platform later this year.

I honestly wouldnt get a 3900x and keep it on x370 if im honest. 3800x-3950x you should get a b550/x570 motherboard to get the best out of it. 

Graphics cards dont even do enough do warrant pcie3 x16, let alone pcie4 x16. Maybe in 6 years, 2 GPU Familys later it may matter, but by that time we will be using PCIE 5 and Things will be a fair bit different.

I vaguely recall Nvidia once saying that amphere would be 3.0.  They might have changed their minds of course.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

3 hours ago, Rauten said:

what if the Ampere cards need PCIE 4.0 to perform correctly?

That's not happening anytime soon...modern graphics cards don't even use half the bandwidht provided by PCIe 3.0

Pcie 4.0 is here more for fast storage improvements...graphics card don't need it.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

19 hours ago, Rauten said:

Has there been any indication or data supporting the idea that Ampere might need PCIE 4.0? Or on the contrary, PCIE 3.0 can still serve me well for many years?

Need, no. Pci-e is backwards compatible so it is not needed.

Benefit from? Possibly, but it won't be anything major, if at all.