Is my 3900x bottlenecking my 2080 super?

OldGregg

What's up guys, I just recently built my pc. Here's the specs. 

Ryzen 3900x
Gigabyte 2080 super gaming OC 
ASUS Tuf gaming x570 plus (wifi) 
G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 2x8 (16gb) @ 3600mhz 

Corsair MP600 M.2 PCIE 4.0 1tb 
WD Blue 3D NAND 1tb 

Corsair H115I Platinum AIO

Fractal 860P ion+ 80+ Platinum 860W PSU 

P400A D - RGB

I started playing games that weren't too difficult to run at all, such as CSGO, some Osu! here and there for the first few days and then started playing Mordhau, Escape from Tarkov and Rust most notably. CSGO runs with no issues at all averaging about 250fps (I'm using a 1440p display) and Osu! can run on a potato so no issues staying at the 330fps cap on that.

As I started to play the more intensive games I used MSI Afterburner to see how my thermals were, and adjusted my fan curve. As I was watching the thermals I noticed my gpu drops from 99% utilization all the way to 60% and sometimes even to 30-40%, only to spike back up to 80-90% before dropping again. Naturally I thought bottlenecking, but then one day it was just fine. Constant 99% utilization. And then another day it wasn't fine, acting in the same way. At first I didn't even really notice, while just playing the game. Even at 60% utilization I can get 80-90FPS on most games, but it started getting worse, as in below 60fps. Could it be bottlenecking with a 3900X? In MSI Afterburner, the 3900x only ever peaks at 80-90% utilization on the threads that are being used the most. On top of that, some days everything runs as per usual? I'm so confused I don't even know where to start. I don't have any other parts to slot in to test what the issue is either. Could it be memory leak? That's all I can think of.  

Here's a screenshot of the msi afterburner stats after playing a game of Mordhau 

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)62267566_Screenshot(3).thumb.png.cc1733261f5477cfdd09bd08fb16234e.png

Tarkov is an unoptimized Game, it will just run like shit regardless. Similar situation with rust. 

3900x will be fine with your GPU. Its only about 10-15% behind the 10900k in some games, and others its pretty similar. And even then when you go to 1440p the difference shrinks dramatically

No, it doesn't bottleneck a 2080 Super. Unoptimized games won't utilize your GPU fully no matter what you do. Try running an actual AAA title and then report back.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

6 minutes ago, OldGregg said:

I thought bottlenecking,

No

6 minutes ago, OldGregg said:

Here's a screenshot of the msi afterburner stats after playing a game of Mordhau 

Use  a  stress test like furmark and compare your results with the same setup and use something like cinebench r20 for cpu 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

It's a fairly balanced system I would say.  But Tarkov...is unoptimized.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

thing is.

csgo i had 350 fps in on my 1440p monitor with a normal 2080 and a 2700x

but then suddently i just started getting 120 fps and can't get more if my life depended on it.

and then i hear my friend who's using a 7700k and a 1080ti gets 300 fps.

stuffs wierd

Anything i've written between the * and * is not meant to be taken seriously.

keep in mind that helping with problems is hard if you aren't specific and detailed.

i'm also not a professional, (yet) so make sure to personally verify important information as i could be wrong.

8 minutes ago, flashiling said:

thing is.

csgo i had 350 fps in on my 1440p monitor with a normal 2080 and a 2700x

but then suddently i just started getting 120 fps and can't get more if my life depended on it.

and then i hear my friend who's using a 7700k and a 1080ti gets 300 fps.

stuffs wierd

I can't see any thermals in your MSI AB graphs.

17 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

Tarkov is an unoptimized Game, it will just run like shit regardless. Similar situation with rust. 

3900x will be fine with your GPU. Its only about 10-15% behind the 10900k in some games, and others its pretty similar. And even then when you go to 1440p the difference shrinks dramatically

15 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

No, it doesn't bottleneck a 2080 Super. Unoptimized games won't utilize your GPU fully no matter what you do. Try running an actual AAA title and then report back.

12 minutes ago, Samfisher said:

It's a fairly balanced system I would say.  But Tarkov...is unoptimized.

Thank you all for replying so quickly, I'm glad to know it's not the CPU/GPU combo. Just to clarify, it's the games that aren't fully utilizing the GPU? I'm still new to the tech world, that's a weird concept to me. 

I'm currently reinstalling COD MW to see how it functions on a AAA Title

Cs go will run on a potato and won’t push your hardware with high utilization numbers. Tarkov is a piece of unoptimized garbage. I’ve played it and it runs like shit on my pc at 1440p 

No cpu mobo or ram atm

2tb wd black gen 4 nvme 

2tb seagate hdd

Corsair rm750x 

Be quiet 500dx 

Gigabyte m34wq 3440x1440

Xbox series x

4 minutes ago, OldGregg said:

Thank you all for replying so quickly, I'm glad to know it's not the CPU/GPU combo. Just to clarify, it's the games that aren't fully utilizing the GPU? I'm still new to the tech world, that's a weird concept to me. 

I'm currently reinstalling COD MW to see how it functions on a AAA Title

Warzone is pretty heavy on both CPU and GPU.  It uses at least 4 cores and is decently GPU optimized as well.  My 3700x and 1070 works fine in the game.  70-90fps at 1440p.

Unoptimized games just mean their code is messy and not efficient, wasting CPU and GPU power and still getting below par performance.

13 minutes ago, Samfisher said:

Warzone is pretty heavy on both CPU and GPU.  It uses at least 4 cores and is decently GPU optimized as well.  My 3700x and 1070 works fine in the game.  70-90fps at 1440p.

Unoptimized games just mean their code is messy and not efficient, wasting CPU and GPU power and still getting below par performance.

On COD MW I was constantly at 110-120fps @1440p with everything on high and gpu utilization was a constant 99%. For the first time in my life I can actually blame the game on my poor performance lmao. That's good to know, everything I've read online has said that low GPU utilization is just bottlenecking, I never knew that the games themselves could mess with the utilization. 

11 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

what are your gpu temps?

GPU Temp under load maxes at 64 degrees C. Cpu temps are 53-54C with short spikes up to 61C.

21 minutes ago, Gohardgrandpa said:

Cs go will run on a potato and won’t push your hardware with high utilization numbers. Tarkov is a piece of unoptimized garbage. I’ve played it and it runs like shit on my pc at 1440p 

It's a shame because Tarkov is one of my favorite games. The stutters tho, the god damn stutters. 

14 minutes ago, OldGregg said:

On COD MW I was constantly at 110-120fps @1440p with everything on high and gpu utilization was a constant 99%. For the first time in my life I can actually blame the game on my poor performance lmao. That's good to know, everything I've read online has said that low GPU utilization is just bottlenecking, I never knew that the games themselves could mess with the utilization. 

GPU Temp under load maxes at 64 degrees C. Cpu temps are 53-54C with short spikes up to 61C.

That's great to hear. Everything seems to be working fine then, your temperatures are good as well. Enjoy your system.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

3 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

That's great to hear. Everything seems to be working fine then, your temperatures are good as well. Enjoy your system.

Thank you, I really appreciate the help :)

1 minute ago, boggy77 said:

do you have ram in slots 2 and 4 and docp enabled?

I don't have DOCP enabled but I did make sure to slot the ram into the right slots to have the dual channel memory going. DOCP isn't that big of a deal is it? Especially since I'm using 3600mhz sticks. 

1 minute ago, OldGregg said:

I don't have DOCP enabled but I did make sure to slot the ram into the right slots to have the dual channel memory going. DOCP isn't that big of a deal is it? Especially since I'm using 3600mhz sticks. 

those 3600 sticks run at 2133 until you enable docp. so you'll see a significant boost if you do that. 3600 sticks means they are tested and guaranteed to work at 3600. but it's your bios that decides what speed to run them at, and until you set it higher, it will run at the default 2133.

also, just double check they are in slots 2 and 4.

5 minutes ago, OldGregg said:

DOCP isn't that big of a deal is it? Especially since I'm using 3600mhz sticks. 

Without it, as mentioned before the sticks don't work at 3600MHz. They only run at a base speed of the integrated memory controller.

14 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

those 3600 sticks run at 2133 until you enable docp. so you'll see a significant boost if you do that. 3600 sticks means they are tested and guaranteed to work at 3600. but it's your bios that decides what speed to run them at, and until you set it higher, it will run at the default 2133.

also, just double check they are in slots 2 and 4.

11 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

Without it, as mentioned before the sticks don't work at 3600MHz. They only run at a base speed of the integrated memory controller.

Shocked pikachu face. I set the speeds to 3600 in the bios but don't have DOCP enabled. I'll do that right now. They are in slots 2 and 4 at least lmao 

3 minutes ago, OldGregg said:

Shocked pikachu face. I set the speeds to 3600 in the bios but don't have DOCP enabled. I'll do that right now. They are in slots 2 and 4 at least lmao 

If you set the speeds to 3600 manually, then they do run at 3600MHz but with looser timings that the BIOS applied by default, not those specified in the DOCP profile of the memory kit you purchased. Means they run a bit slower that way.

3 minutes ago, OldGregg said:

if you had them at 3600 already, then docp won't do much 

1 minute ago, Morgan MLGman said:

If you set the speeds to 3600 manually, then they do run at 3600MHz but with looser timings that the BIOS applied by default, not those specified in the DOCP profile of the memory kit you purchased. Means they run a bit slower that way.

Just now, boggy77 said:

if you had them at 3600 already, then docp won't do much 

Ah okay that's good to know. I did it anyways for good measure. I never looked at the timings but they match what it says on the packaging now at 16-19-19-39 & 3603Mhz. Perhaps they're a bit faster than the default timings. 

I'm learning so much tonight feels good 

7 minutes ago, OldGregg said:

Ah okay that's good to know. I did it anyways for good measure. I never looked at the timings but they match what it says on the packaging now at 16-19-19-39 & 3603Mhz. Perhaps they're a bit faster than the default timings. 

I'm learning so much tonight feels good 

if still facing stutters, it might be worth updating bios, chipset driver and gpu driver

Just now, boggy77 said:

if still facing stutters, it might be worth updating bios, chipset driver and gpu driver

If you're referring to what I said about Tarkov it's a well known server-side issue. I don't get stutters in any other game, I do experience frame drops in Rust and Mordhau sometimes. ( Which is why I made the post, back to the GPU utilization thing ), but it seems to be the game more than my PC, especially after trying out COD MW and having stable frames. I'll keep that in mind though in case it starts happening in the future :) currently everything is up to date! Thank you 

@OldGregg

The idea of tarkov is great, the game just runs so bad. I built a pc for a friend to play cod, seige and pub g with and the only thing he plays is tarkov and I can’t stand it so I never play with him anymore 

No cpu mobo or ram atm

2tb wd black gen 4 nvme 

2tb seagate hdd

Corsair rm750x 

Be quiet 500dx 

Gigabyte m34wq 3440x1440

Xbox series x