Cheap but still effective power supply ?

StonerNixon

I’m looking to run an amd fx 6300 ( I think , just guessing because I don’t want to plug the computer in and look Lol ) 

and I would like to run 2 asus r9 270 in SLI 

from what I’ve managed to teaser has and figure out is the GPUs will need 300wats , and the CPU 120wats . So at minimum I need a 450 , but I’m going to shoot for 500wat . Leave some head room for over clocking and such just incase .

if I’m wrong , could I be corrected please ? And if I’m not wrong , then what would be the best but still cheap power supply I should go with . I have a couple 500W silverstone ,  powersupplys I pulled from older computers , could I just get connectors/splitters , and split something into another 6 pin . And while I’m at it 2 more 6 pins , so I could run SLI . 

9 minutes ago, StonerNixon said:

I’m looking to run an amd fx 6300 ( I think , just guessing because I don’t want to plug the computer in and look Lol ) 

from what I’ve managed to teaser has and figure out is the GPUs will need 300wats , and the CPU 120wats . So at minimum I need a 450 , but I’m going to shoot for 500wat . Leave some head room for over clocking and such just incase .

if I’m wrong , could I be corrected please ? And if I’m not wrong , then what would be the best but still cheap power supply I should go with . I have a couple 500W silverstone ,  powersupplys I pulled from older computers , could I just get connectors/splitters , and split something into another 6 pin . And while I’m at it 2 more 6 pins , so I could run SLI . 

Maybe cx670m

Reminder⚠️

I'm just speaking from experience so what I say may not work 100%

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

For power supplies you normally want 150W above your theorectical limit, a minimum of 100W. When things turbo they take more power than their rated tdp and if you're overclocking it will also take more power. And you haven't included all the power consumption of other things in your computer like storage, the motherboard, things plugged into it, etc I'd add another 50W for those things on top of your calculation. And splitting cables is a bad idea especially with a old cheap power supply.

Ouhkay understandable . I have a thermal take 600W I believe it was .  It’s a semi modular , but I bought it used and it was missing the 6+2 pin for GPU . Where would I buy a replacement for that ? Everywhere I’ve looked just has splitters , or the entire power supply lol I just need to cables to plug into gpu , it’s got a 4+4 for cpu which I can’t remember if it’s needed or not but it’s there lol @Darpyface @Kanna

38 minutes ago, StonerNixon said:

Ouhkay understandable . I have a thermal take 600W I believe it was .  It’s a semi modular , but I bought it used and it was missing the 6+2 pin for GPU . Where would I buy a replacement for that ? Everywhere I’ve looked just has splitters , or the entire power supply lol I just need to cables to plug into gpu , it’s got a 4+4 for cpu which I can’t remember if it’s needed or not but it’s there lol @Darpyface @Kanna

Which Thermaltake 600W?

3 minutes ago, StonerNixon said:

@Darpyface @Kanna @jonnyGURU any luck ? 

Wdym?

Reminder⚠️

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

Would it be possible to buy replacement cables for the ocz 600W I have ? It’s semi modular and is missing the two 6+2 pins for gpu , and the other two extras I don’t know what they are . @Kanna

1 minute ago, StonerNixon said:

Would it be possible to buy replacement cables for the ocz 600W I have ? It’s semi modular and is missing the two 6+2 pins for gpu , and the other two extras I don’t know what they are . @Kanna

How do they look?

Reminder⚠️

4 minutes ago, StonerNixon said:

Like this @Kanna

4C677578-3D53-4312-A172-71724CF64A00.jpeg

I mean the cables you don't know

Reminder⚠️

50 minutes ago, Kanna said:

I mean the cables you don't know

Unless you know the pinout or know the exact cables that you need, you cant order cables visually. 

As while 2 cables look the same, the pinout may be different. 

On 6/25/2020 at 1:35 AM, StonerNixon said:

And if I’m not wrong , then what would be the best but still cheap power supply I should go with

Budget?

I’m only trying to spend like 70 bucks . 
and not trying to sound like a dick but I don’t know I literally just said that lol I don’t know what they look like , cause I don’t have them ? So I sent you a picture of what I do have and what I do know . And am hoping for some help from there sorta thing . All I know is there’s 4 extra ports on the power supply , and those 4 ports are in the picture . The power supply is the computer and the computer is in a hard to access area , I don’t want to pull it out Until I have the stuff to be able to work on it. So instead of struggling to pull the computer out and fight to get a picture with lighting , I took one off google . And all the keywords that I’m using to search , arnt getting me the results I want . Those results being a replacement cord , or atleast knowledge as to what the replacement cord should be . But I can’t find any of that . So that’s why I’ve come here . @Kanna @GoldenLag

5 minutes ago, StonerNixon said:

I’m only trying to spend like 70 bucks .

you could pick up a good replacement budget powersupply for that, assuming its USD, and in the US. 

7 hours ago, StonerNixon said:

Like this @Kanna

Ok.  This one is easy. Just jumper the 24-pin so the PSU is "live" (http://jongerow.com/PSU_test/index.html) then use a multimeter and probe the modular ports to see what is +12V and what is ground.

Man... I really need to make an article or video of this.  I get this question at least twice a day.

Ouhkay I think your completely missing what I’m asking @jonnyGURU . I don’t need to do the paper clip test , and check if the power supply works . I need physical cords to plug into this freaking ports . Replacement cords . I don’t know how many different ways I can say it . Why would I need to replace the 24pin ? That’s has almost nothing to do with what I’m asking. The cables that plug into the power supply , so I can then plug 6+2 into a graphics card . You know ? @GoldenLag not us , canadian. And shipping is just fucked right now , so I’m buying second hand mostly . And no one has anything for sale . There’s a 350W for sale near me . I tried asking about just a cheep psu that I could use , gave my use case ( 2 graphics cards in SLI ) , no one gave me an answer . So I said Ouhkay this is what I’ve got one hand , but it’s missing the cord that plugs into the gpu , where can I get a replacement cord ? Still not an answer , so Ouhkay , the conclusion I’ve reached is I’m just going to buy a fucking splitter and call it a day. 

53 minutes ago, StonerNixon said:

Why would I need to replace the 24pin ?

He is not saying that, he is telling you how to find the pinout, and that way know what 6+2 pin connector your should get. 

57 minutes ago, StonerNixon said:

Still not an answer , so Ouhkay , the conclusion I’ve reached is I’m just going to buy a fucking splitter and call it a day. 

A 12v EPS splitter?

I do not suggest doing that. 

I see you can get a system power 9 400w for 60 CAD. 

Which is dualrail. That will work if the GPU is single 6 pin. 

4 hours ago, StonerNixon said:

Ouhkay I think your completely missing what I’m asking @jonnyGURU . I don’t need to do the paper clip test , and check if the power supply works . I need physical cords to plug into this freaking ports . Replacement cords . I don’t know how many different ways I can say it . Why would I need to replace the 24pin ? That’s has almost nothing to do with what I’m asking. The cables that plug into the power supply , so I can then plug 6+2 into a graphics card . You know ?

Wow.  This is why I need to make a guide.  Some how, you read what I wrote and walked away with "replace the 24-pin."

Go ahead and read my post again... I'll wait here.....

On 6/26/2020 at 3:16 AM, StonerNixon said:

Like this @Kanna

Actually... isn't that the pinout for the connectors RIGHT THERE ON A STICKER ON THE FRONT OF THE PSU?!?!?!

GND GND GND GND

GND +12V +12V +12V

It looks like the same connector an EPS12V uses, whiich is the same as a Corsair Type 4, except for that extra ground pin.  So theoretically, you can take a cable from a Corsair PSU and just pop that one ground wire out and you have the cable you need.

10 hours ago, StonerNixon said:

Ouhkay I think your completely missing what I’m asking @jonnyGURU . I don’t need to do the paper clip test , and check if the power supply works . I need physical cords to plug into this freaking ports . Replacement cords . I don’t know how many different ways I can say it . Why would I need to replace the 24pin ? That’s has almost nothing to do with what I’m asking. The cables that plug into the power supply , so I can then plug 6+2 into a graphics card . You know ?

Different power supplies use different pinouts for their cables. Some have 12v where others have ground. You can't mix different cables. You need one with the same pinout pattern so that it's compatible.

He was telling you how to check the pinout pattern on the PCIe connector, which requires turning the power supply on to do so, which can be done by using a paperclip to bridge the power on pin in the motherboard 24pin connector. 

You would then use a multimeter to measure the voltage on the connector on PSU to find what voltage is on each pin. This will give you the pinout and you can use that to find compatible replacement cables.

10 hours ago, StonerNixon said:

So I said Ouhkay this is what I’ve got one hand , but it’s missing the cord that plugs into the gpu , where can I get a replacement cord ? Still not an answer , so Ouhkay , the conclusion I’ve reached is I’m just going to buy a fucking splitter and call it a day. 

OCZ went out of business years ago. You can't just buy replacement parts from them and since the power supply is so old there's not going to be third party businesses making replacement cables specifically for it either. That's why no-one has simply given you a link to where to buy replacement cables for it.

A splitter? Aside from being a bad idea, if you don't have any PCIe cables what would you split? Or do you have one PCIe cable but not the second required to run the second graphics card?

On 6/25/2020 at 9:35 AM, StonerNixon said:

The R9 270 is an AMD card. AMD's multi GPU solution is called crossfire. SLI is for NVIDIA cards.

Multi GPU support in games is dead these days. Just use the one card.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Don’t mean to be rude , I just didn’t understand what you were asking , and what I thought you were asking wasn’t important I thought . My bad , I’m sorry . 

and yes that’s the pin out right there , but I  don’t 100% understand it , hence why I sent a picture you guys have reference , and could figure it out and let me know . 

I don’t want to have to break wires or pop any out of I 100% don’t have to , because I’m building this system for a friend and selling it to him, so not trying to burn his house down . 

I’m going to be running 2 graphics cards in SLI , that’s the whole point of this build . Amd asus R9 270 , without going and looking at the card I’m guessing it’s 6+2 and 6 , each card. The OCZ is what I have on hand to work worth and could just get replacement or something for it , if not then I will buy a new power supply if I have to . TheOCZ already has 4+4 for cpu which is needed for the motherboard and cpu I am going to be using for the build. 

@jonnyGURU @GoldenLag @Spotty

not reloading the page before posting so I can’t see your comment spotty , but will be reading it 

@Spotty I thought OCZ was still alive and kicking , that’s another thing that’s my fault for assuming . I also don’t have a multimeter , and didn’t realize in order to check the pin out I needed the psu on . I thought I could just tell by the shape of the little connector thingys , and colour of cords . Again I assumed and made an ass out of me and me again 😂 

and wouldn’t it still be atleast worth it run both cards together , even if the person isnt playing the latest games , and would also be doing work on the computer as well . I traded a broken iPad for the both of the cards and the bridge , so I figured mys we’ll use them together . There’s got to be some performance over just using one card right ?

22 minutes ago, StonerNixon said:

I don’t want to have to break wires or pop any out of I 100% don’t have to , because I’m building this system for a friend and selling it to him, so not trying to burn his house down . 

You're not going to burn anything down.  LOL!

Just get a Corsair cable and pop that one odd-ball straggler pin out with a pair of staples: 

Once that wire is loose from the PSU side of the cable, trace it back to the other side of the cable and pop it loose from there and discard.