4k@120hz@HDR PC Gaming on your TV Today! (Club3D 1085 Display Port 1.4 to Hdmi 2.1 Adapter)

M P

Ok, the title is a lie, you can play at the end of June. (12 Days)

I am super exited about this and was waiting already over a year for it when they annonced it.

Also would celebrate it big time if LTT would make a Video about it and test it out. I would even allow LTT to use the title free of charge. ;)

German: https://www.computerbase.de/2020-06/club3d-cac-1085-adapter/?amp=1

Or https://www.pcgameshardware.de/Grafikkarten-Grafikkarte-97980/News/Club-3DCAC-1085-Adapter-1352455/

Didn't find a english speaking article yet, but google translate:https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.computerbase.de%2F2020-06%2Fclub3d-cac-1085-adapter%2F%3Famp%3D1

Edit: now there is a English Product Page:

https://www.club-3d.com/en/detail/2496/displayport_1.4_to_hdmi_4k120hz_hdr_active_adapter_m-f/

Club3d (Dutch Apdapter Maker) will release end of June (so max 12 days) the Clu3D CAC 1085 Display Port 1.4 to HDMI 2.1 Adapter.
So if your GPU has Display Port 1.4 you can play at 4k@120hz or 8k@60hz on your TV if it supports hdmi 2.1 fully (Like Linus LG C9 TV in his living room - and my LG C955-Inch TV which I use as PC Monitor or the Samsung 8K TVs)

spacer.png
Sadly if you don't have a RTX GPU or Amd Navi your GPU has no Display Stream Compression 1.2 (so you cannot have 4k@120hz@HDR)

and it is not officaly supported, so this also would need to be tested out.

Why the hell you want 4k@120hz Gaming? Well, if you have a RTX 2080ti or you want to Play CS GO you could do it.

Or you are like me who like to use them Visual Studio and the Windows Desktop at 4k@120hz with my GTX 1060 6GB (Linus please also test with the previous 10xx series :) )

So what you say? 69.90 Euroes for a Video Linus can make at home?

Greetings

Michi

Wow i have a 1080Ti and a LG C9 55". That'd be awesome. Currently i am limited to 1440p 120Hz or 4K 60Hz. I was thinking i had to wait for RTX 3000 and HDMI 2.1 GPUs. I'd love to see that in a LTT video and if it actually works and doesn't cut off HDMI 2.1 features like ALLM.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

Time for Minecraft please

-= Moved to General Discussion =-

@M P please review the Tech News posting guidelines under the Community Standards and adjust your post accordingly. Thank you.

When creating a thread in the News subforum, please make sure your post meets the following criteria:

• Your thread must include some original input to tell the reader why it is relevant to them, and what your personal opinion on the topic is. This needs to be MORE than just a quick, single comment to meet the posting guidelines.
  • Your thread must include a link to at least one reputable source. Most of the time, this should be a respected news site.
  • Your thread should also include quotes from the cited source(s). While you shouldn't just copy the entire article, your quote should give the reader a summary of the article in a way that gives the key details, but also leaves room for them to read the full article on the linked website. Please use quote tags to show that you have copied this content from another site.
  • The title of your thread must be relevant to the topic and should give a reader a good idea of the contents of the thread. Copying the title of the source is permitted but absolutely not required. It should be to the point and not be done in such a way as to mislead a reader, such as clickbait, etc.
  • If your article is about a product or some form of media, images are always appreciated, although they are not required.

Failure to comply may result in your thread being locked or removed without warning.

Edited by SansVarnic
-= Moved to General Discussion =-

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Really curious to see if this will still let you use G-Sync on the LG B9 with an RTX 2080 Ti. If so, this would save me so much money.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

Hmm... interesting. Good question on G-sync compatible support. Wish it came out say half a year ago. At this time, think I'll still hold out for next gen GPU so I can have 4k60+ at decent quality anyway.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Sounds interesting, a bit expensive but many laptops have only HDMI 1.4 due to Intel IGPUs and this could allow 4k60Hz in 4:4:4 or 4k60Hz10bitHDR but in 4:2:0 subsampling.

You can't do HDR 10 at 4k 120hz through display port even on a 2080ti so this doesn't change that. I mean you could do garbage HDR that doesn't require 10bit color but at that point why even do 4k HDR? Anyways this is pretty cool but I would just stick to sdr if I wanted to play at 120hz.

1 hour ago, porina said:

Hmm... interesting. Good question on G-sync compatible support. Wish it came out say half a year ago. At this time, think I'll still hold out for next gen GPU so I can have 4k60+ at decent quality anyway.

I've done some testing with 4k 120 on the 2080 Ti using 4:2:0 and you can technically create a 4k 120hz profile in NVCP. It works, no frame skipping, but text is absolutely awful. I'd love to be able to retain G-Sync compatibility with this adapter as my 2080 Ti is plenty fast enough for the older games I play. I also don't mind the HDR stuff as I don't use HDR anyways. 

10 minutes ago, MageTank said:

I've done some testing with 4k 120 on the 2080 Ti using 4:2:0 and you can technically create a 4k 120hz profile in NVCP. It works, no frame skipping, but text is absolutely awful. I'd love to be able to retain G-Sync compatibility with this adapter as my 2080 Ti is plenty fast enough for the older games I play. I also don't mind the HDR stuff as I don't use HDR anyways. 

Similar position here. I also have a B9, but my fastest two GPUs are a 1080Ti and a 2070 (not super). Currently using the 2070 with the B9 for G-sync Compatible, but next gen seems a good time to upgrade. 

I had wondered if a trick like that would enable higher refresh rates at 4k, but I never did try it. Good to know. I also don't use HDR since nothing I currently care about supports it anyway.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Meanwhile, if your TV is bad enough you'll be lucky to get 4K at all...

(insert rant about HDMI 2.0 adapters that work as expected between GPU and 4K monitor, but can't get the TV to show anything other than 4K30Hz or 1080p60Hz :P)

• 2 weeks later...

I really want linus to test one if these adapters as he has an LG C9 so is the perfect fit. 

On 6/19/2020 at 3:28 PM, MageTank said:

What do I need to do to get this working? 

I've tried custom resolutions but I can't get it to work 

This is now available for purchase on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Club-3D-DisplayPort1-4-4K120Hz-CAC-1085/dp/B08BX49V5V

@linustechtips maybe you could use this to see if you can get 8K 60hz going on an 8k TV with DSC (Samsung ones)?

On 7/3/2020 at 10:40 AM, ST3K3LLY said:

What do I need to do to get this working? 

I've tried custom resolutions but I can't get it to work 

I didn't do anything fancy, just changed colors in NVCP to 4:2:2 and dialed in the 4k 120hz custom resolution and hit test. The quality of text looked abysmal, but it didn't have any frame skipping on the UFO Test. I am using an HDMI cable that is certified for 8k (4k 120) so I don't know if that is helping or not. Also, I updated the TV's firmware yesterday to the latest version and that has since broken my custom resolution, so I recommend avoiding 04.80.02 if you planned on trying this. I am trying to figure out how to roll it back to see if I can get my custom resolution working again.

This latest firmware made a fix to PCM, but I can't figure out why that would break the custom resolutions unless it changes the bandwidth of the port somehow. Oh, and if you do get it working, let me know if you can figure out how to fix the awful looking text. If I can figure that out, it will save me from dropping another $1000+ on a next gen graphics card.

8 hours ago, MageTank said:

I didn't do anything fancy, just changed colors in NVCP to 4:2:2 and dialed in the 4k 120hz custom resolution and hit test. The quality of text looked abysmal, but it didn't have any frame skipping on the UFO Test. I am using an HDMI cable that is certified for 8k (4k 120) so I don't know if that is helping or not. Also, I updated the TV's firmware yesterday to the latest version and that has since broken my custom resolution, so I recommend avoiding 04.80.02 if you planned on trying this. I am trying to figure out how to roll it back to see if I can get my custom resolution working again.

This latest firmware made a fix to PCM, but I can't figure out why that would break the custom resolutions unless it changes the bandwidth of the port somehow. Oh, and if you do get it working, let me know if you can figure out how to fix the awful looking text. If I can figure that out, it will save me from dropping another $1000+ on a next gen graphics card.

The text looks bad purely because you're using 4:2:2... it won't look normal until you use 4:4:4. The thing is that 4k 120Hz 4:4:4 is at the very very edge of DisplayPort 1.4's bandwidth. I would recommend trying a custom resolution using the CVT-RBv2 blanking settings exactly as shown here: https://tomverbeure.github.io/video_timings_calculator. If your NVCP defaults to CVT-RB (not v2) blanking by default, it would have been over the bandwidth limit.