Next Gen ULTIMATE Desk PC Design

ColinLTT
2 minutes ago, B4Quattro said:

I think that hoping the air whould move through a radiator instead of having fans to force it to move through is a bad idea, no mather what kind of radiator you use...

100%, unless they seal every alternative air-path besides the radiators then that's where air is going to go instead.  You'd think they'd realize this considering they made  a video about a watercooled server not that long ago and could see how much effort the OEM made to duct + seal the air from the front fans into the radiators.

They're basically hoping for passive radiators to cool their system down.  It'll maybe work with the surface area they've got but they might as well have committed to it and used a finned aluminum coldplate on the bottom of the desk instead.

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

7 minutes ago, AnonymousGuy said:

Use the port that comes out of the axial end of the radiator.  Even if you have to go a few mm thicker than 1U it's a smarter play than constraining yourself to using shitty 40mm radiators * 6 = $$$$

Build one of them in a 1U ff and post the results, I think you'll run several issues that you haven't considered

Can Anybody Link A Virtual Machine while I go download some RAM?

Next episode coming: 2022

What is actually supposed to go here? Some people put their specs, others put random comments or remarks about themselves or others, and there are a few who put cryptic statements.

It'd be a shame if you guys didn't swap out the lids on those hard drives for some acrylic. Gotta see those platters spin baby!

1 hour ago, unijab said:

But are they silent?

Yes, it doesn't come with any fans but airflow is required as per the manufacturers specifications. That would need to be taken into consideration when designing the overall airflow

1 hour ago, Exile19 said:

Might have a solution to your power woes...
Check out meanwell UHP series power supplies. This psu can go with a single hdplex dc-dc converter.

Basic config would go meanwell UHP 1000 ---> HDPlex ---> Motherboard/HDD

And for gpu just pull power straight off the 12v rails on the Meanwell UHP.

No power bricks required and I would love to see you do a custom paint job on the Meanwell case!

I built a super slim compact pc with this exact configuration.

If you also wanted to flex, you could get a water cooled PHP-3500...

Although I think 3.5kw is a bit much 😂

https://www.meanwell.com/webapp/product/search.aspx?prod=PHP-3500

Instead of putting the motherboard where you can reach it, make or use a docking station/dashboard.

Mine has Power switch, drive/power indicators, USB ports, and at one time it also had Esata and an SD card reader. I'm currently working on a new version with a rotary volume control.

@ColinLTT @LinusTech Which CPU are you guys gonna use ? 3960X or 3970X ? I don't expect Linus to need a 64 Core CPU for his Workstation, or does he ?

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

I was surprised to see HDDs being used. How much local storage is required and could it be done with SSDs instead?

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

We're glad to see those desk frames are getting some good use! :)

Regarding the power supply, what if you took the PC board out of a full size high efficiency PSU and had a series of fans or a flat blower fan (like out of an iMac) blowing air across it?  It might even be possible to attach some small water blocks to the heatsinks to keep things cool and quiet.

8 hours ago, Spotty said:

I was surprised to see HDDs being used. How much local storage is required and could it be done with SSDs instead?

HDDs are still cheaper per GB, so for mass long term storage where speed isn't a problem, they're actually ideal.  They're also more reliable for long term storage.  Magnetic storage will maintain most of its memory even if the HDD is removed and set aside for 20+ years.

Colin!

Before you commit to power bricks look at the Supermicro SuperQuiet power supplies!!

SuperMicro PWS-1K28P-SQ 80Plus Platinum w PMbus and SuperQuiet fans

Supermicro PDB-PT747-4648 Power distributor with graphic output feature

This will get you redundant 1000/1200 watt power supplies that are 1u. You would need to redo the cabling, but you will need to do custom cables for any psu in a build like this.

And you can get usb-pmbus adapters to control the power supplies from a control panel in windows.

They also have a prebuilt case with it all integrated too; SuperChassis 745BTQ-R1K28B-SQ

Could you upload a file where the proprietary data is replaced with just blocks of the same size. so people can have fun with the plans and stay in the tolerances?

Was bored so here is my silly design

ltt.PNG

1 hour ago, VIVO-US said:

Regarding the power supply, what if you took the PC board out of a full size high efficiency PSU and had a series of fans or a flat blower fan (like out of an iMac) blowing air across it?  It might even be possible to attach some small water blocks to the heatsinks to keep things cool and quiet.

Actually I like the take apart a 1U server PSU and water cool it idea...

It might delay the project 😬 but would be really baller.

Can Anybody Link A Virtual Machine while I go download some RAM?

On 6/18/2020 at 9:21 PM, ColinLTT said:

the problem here is finding options with side exits, and deepcool doesnt offer that in their thinner rads - the 40mm rads that DO have it would be nearly touching the glass, which isnt ideal. I'm sure there ARE options, but we went with vendors we have good relationships with as it made CAD that much easier for us. I'm pretty pumped to use positive pressure exhaust and i think it will work great for our use case - just need to be sure the back panel is well sealed up to force the air to go out the only exits, through the radiators. 

hello colin

I saw your video

lets start whit costrains:

1U size in 44- 44,5 mm

height is not enough to fit 120mm fan

hardline tubing

top? is glass or??

so i guess cad office start the engineering whit wood or mdf (i guess 12-14 mm)

Ithink working sheet metal should give you more room. cutting and bending is not so expensive from a professional factory,

even use some part in plexi

fan

OK fan position is for showing off

this parameter cant make me sleep :)

so using low profile fan and low p radiators? also is a great idea to use extruded aluminium bars as table legs,

and became a godd heat exchanger,

Even the bottom of table can be steel or aluminium extrusion.

i Think if you go to blow air inside is a big issue.

maybe is better to extract and separete internal chamber whit transparent wall 😙

the internal walls need some radius and not straight corners.

maybe i draw something

@ColinLTT as followup to @icebreaker, can you please send along some rough / placeholder CAD.  I design wire and cable systems for Electric vehicles and mining equipment so I have the tools to do all the wire routing inside of your desk if you post / share the design files you have in a way you can.  My first thought is a custom built wire harness (DNA near your office does great work or I can help you guys learn to build your own), velcro braid loom covering for cleanliness and ratcheting p-clips that are through hole or adhesive backed (cable ties work but I am guessing you will not want something as permanent)

image.png.b70610d3e22d1e53f9d9145229ccbfe2.png  image.png.690623188b2c2fb47f582de005225692.pngimage.thumb.png.50b3949521faa49465437ec187c7e31e.png

Alphacool make radiators with side mounted tubing exits and I found cad files for them

Also you could build a grid/array of 40mm fans that span the length of the motherboard 

You could have them pulling from the direction of the intake and pushing towards the exhaust this would increase airflow over pcb and ram

• 3 weeks later...

What would you guys use if you were not using an AIO on the CPU?

• 2 weeks later...

with people mentioning aluminium how baller would it be to do the whole desk frame out of a single milled piece like apple and razer do their laptop chassis. you would get strength and have a thinner desk base allowing better component placement and it would look much nicer at the edges as you could round them in some form. Massive waste of aluminium with all the scrap that would come out but it would look cool.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 6/19/2020 at 8:11 AM, Computernaut said:

Next episode coming: 2022

Damn, you cursed us all! 😛

On 11/23/2020 at 10:35 AM, NoBrainer said:

So will we wait until next ice age for this magnificent build to be finished? @LinusTech or do we have an ETA? @ColinLTT

love our work guys.

They recently posted a tweet showing off the LTT reservoir they're using for this, so hopefully that means that things are still progressing and an update isn't far off.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450