I'm conflicted about consoles vs PC

loolou78

The most important thing is that you're having fun.

PC benefits from allowing you to have complete control over your hardware, and more games than you'll ever know what to do with, all performing as optimally as you can afford.

If that doesn't entice you over the plug and play nature of consoles, then by all means play an Xbox, Switch, or Playstation instead.

I'll say there is one huge plus to PC over at least Playstation: if you like to play in multiple languages, Playstation fucking sucks. There are so few North America release PS4 games you can play with Japanese subs and Japanese UI. Sure lots of US games from Japan will offer Japanese voice option, but how fucking hard would it be to put the option for Japanese subtitles into say Yakuza 0 or Persona 5 Royal. Shit drives me nuts that I’m going to have to import Persona 5 Royal from Japan to play in Japanese. At least Yakuza 0-2 I can probably snipe on Steam when they get cheap and be able to play in full Japanese. Actually I'm kind of waiting for next week's Steam Sale to see if there are any Yakuza deals to pick up Persona 4 Golden so I can play in Japanese since the North American Vita version that I already bought and played a billion times doesn't let you.

I have a ton of North American versions of Japanese PS3/PS4 games and the only one that I can play in full Japanese is NieR Automata. Can't do it on any of the Yakuza games, can't do it on Persona 3/4/5, can't do it on Odin Sphere Leifthrasir or Dragon's Crown or Ni No Kuni or Okami. WTF Sony? Wonder if XBox does the same shit.

I say get the PS5 then save money for a good gaming PC. I only play certain online games on my PC but I just prefer to sit back on my recliner and game on my PS4 Pro (or Xbox One X). But this is coming from a software developer that works on a computer all day.

I am in a similar situation as you. There's at least one exclusive in each console I owned that made me glad I bought the system, but then I wanted to get the flexibility PC gives me. For that, I decided to have them both. I will get an expensive PC first, because I will also use that for my work & hobbies, and not just for gaming, then by the time I buy a PS5, a good amount of exclusives would be on it already.

On 6/19/2020 at 4:57 AM, SteveGrabowski0 said:

Game cost isn't too bad on PS4. I buy most of my games for $20 to $30 and snipe a lot of quality $5 - $10 stuff too. Switch though, god the games are expensive on it.

At least the only games you really get in switch are the Nintendo releases. 

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

Price gap isn't that big when you look at it. Steam asks stupid amount of money for some games, even months after release. Sony and Microsoft work hard over the past years to make proper "sales".

I would suggest getting a PC and then getting a PS5/Xbox Series X later on. For me, exclusive games are the only reason to get a console. Waiting a year or two while looking at the games you might want to play is better than getting a console early on and being dissapointed looking at the library.

4 hours ago, Javavia said:

I would suggest getting a PC and then getting a PS5/Xbox Series X later on. For me, exclusive games are the only reason to get a console. Waiting a year or two while looking at the games you might want to play is better than getting a console early on and being dissapointed looking at the library.

I'd recommend the opposite honestly for someone with no gaming PC right now. Mainly because the PS5 / Series X are going to be way cheaper than a similarly spec'ed PC this fall while maybe in 2-3 years you'll have gpus that can leave PS5 and Series X in the dust for say $400US. Unless you're mainly into first person shooters and strategy games which suck with a controller.

7 hours ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

I'd recommend the opposite honestly for someone with no gaming PC right now. Mainly because the PS5 / Series X are going to be way cheaper than a similarly spec'ed PC this fall while maybe in 2-3 years you'll have gpus that can leave PS5 and Series X in the dust for say $400US. Unless you're mainly into first person shooters and strategy games which suck with a controller.

I second this as well. Sony and Microsoft aren't going to release another console for years to come (maybe another mid cycle release but that's at least 4 years away) but with PC traditional there have been major GPU releases every 1-2 years (unfortunately as of late it's been 2-3). 

On 6/18/2020 at 10:57 PM, SteveGrabowski0 said:

Game cost isn't too bad on PS4. I buy most of my games for $20 to $30 and snipe a lot of quality $5 - $10 stuff too. Switch though, god the games are expensive on it.

I actually managed to get the Division 2 for $5 on Live so good deals definitely do exist for console.

On 6/19/2020 at 4:57 AM, SteveGrabowski0 said:

Switch though, god the games are expensive on it.

Not just switch, a while ago, I picked up a Wii, mainly to play Mario games. And games are weirdly expensive, like New Super Mario Bros Wii and Mario Kart Wii both cost like 25$-30$ each. It just doesn't make sense to pay that much for more than decade old games, they aren't even rare, or collectors edition. And of course I ended up modding the Wii since it's so easy to do so over spending 3 times de amount I spent on console for 3 games.

6 hours ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

And of course I ended up modding the Wii since it's so easy to do so over spending 3 times de amount I spent on console for 3 games.

So you pirated the games...

6 hours ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

And games are weirdly expensive, like New Super Mario Bros Wii and Mario Kart Wii both cost like 25$-30$ each. It just doesn't make sense to pay that much for more than decade old games, 

Eh, seems pretty reasonable for what was a $60 game. Maybe a little high as $20 seems like the sweet spot for a $60 game once it gets to a certain age but I wouldn't say it is unreasonable. 

I'll also add that Nintendo games (on their console) are complete games, no missing part behind a pay wall, no poor value DLCs/microtransactions (and even then, those are limited), no poor value/complex series of editions to pick, no loot boxes or any sort of real money based gambling systems. Genuine old style game, the way games should be made, and look how much they sale. Outside of indie studios, Nintendo and CD Projekt Red are pretty much the only companies left that makes quality games. I have no problem buying any Nintendo game. Heck, technically speaking, I don't even need to read reviews. The worst I'll get is a pretty good game, as experience. And it only goes up from there.

• 1 month later...
On 6/14/2020 at 12:15 AM, Gundar said:

Except when a new mario games come out.

If he's older than five years old than i doubt mario is going to win him over.