Some entry level Z490 boards cannot handle an overclocked i5-10600K

Mamonos
1 minute ago, 5x5 said:

With Intel unlocked CPUs, you can't get a value board if you want performance to match even stock levels.

Another reason to go AMD.

Some people have been spending too long in the Intel hate echo chamber.  There is nothing wrong with Intel's TDP rating, and it's not Intel's fault motherboard makers don't know how to R+D and design for the expected power draw of said chips. 

Most of us know as a matter of course that the latest Intel CPU's when pushed to higher workloads/freq. can consumer a significant amount of power,  how anyone can assume that motherboard makers should be legitimately unaware of this when we all know it is confusing at best and basic false accusations at worse.      The fact is they either cheaped out on the VRM/design or there is another issue altogether at play.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

They‘ll unfortunately get away with that because „ oc voids your warranty

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

On 6/10/2020 at 9:05 PM, Techstorm970 said:

Meh...sounds like a firmware issue.  Or something that a firmware update would fix, anyway.

This is why I don't rush to buy products right after they come out...

VRM getting too hot because they used cheap stuff/poor design and cooling... how would that be a firmware issue?

MSI GX660 + i7 920XM @ 2.8GHz + GTX 970M + Samsung SSD 830 256GB

It seems to me like they just slapped the Z490 chipset on what probably would have been a B or H series board just so they could get as many boards as possible out at launch

Laptop:

Spoiler

HP OMEN 15 - Intel Core i7 9750H, 16GB DDR4, 512GB NVMe SSD, Nvidia RTX 2060, 15.6" 1080p 144Hz IPS display

PC:

Spoiler

Vacancy - Looking for applicants, please send CV

Mac:

Spoiler

2009 Mac Pro 8 Core - 2 x Xeon E5520, 16GB DDR3 1333 ECC, 120GB SATA SSD, AMD Radeon 7850. Soon to be upgraded to 2 x 6 Core Xeons

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G6 - Platinum (The best colour of any phone, period)

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue

On 6/10/2020 at 12:05 PM, Mamonos said:

The ASUS Prime Z490-P and the MSI Z490-A Pro performed very well in all scenarios, while the other boards (Gigabyte Z490 UD, ASRock Z490 Phantom Gaming 4 and ASRock Z490 Pro4) suffered from thermal throttling or even crashes in pretty much all scenarios.

The Gigabyte Z490 UD failed only once,and didn't throttle at all,you shouldn't put a half decent board with trash like the Asrock boards.

On 6/10/2020 at 11:37 PM, SlimyPython said:

Wait... what happened with AM3+ to relate to this?

Ask my GA-970A-DS3P 😂

In all seriousness though,almost all of the AM3 boards were garbage that thermally throttled even a slightly overclocked FX-8350,

and not to even talk about the FX-9590,which most boards throttled it at stock speeds.

It's a shame because those chips could handle 5GHz no problem,they hold the world record of 8.7GHz after all.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

On 6/13/2020 at 1:52 AM, Vishera said:

Ask my GA-970A-DS3P 😂

In all seriousness though,almost all of the AM3 boards were garbage that thermally throttled even a slightly overclocked FX-8350,

and not to even talk about the FX-9590,which most boards throttled it at stock speeds.

It's a shame because those chips could handle 5GHz no problem,they hold the world record of 8.7GHz after all.

was there actually any boards that handled them well?

✨FNIGE✨

34 minutes ago, SlimyPython said:

was there actually any boards that handled them well?

High end ones yes. The 9590 was a fringe case though. The common 8320/50/70 were fine on almost all boards

2 hours ago, dfsgsfa said:

you are not supposed to overclock 

says intel

You're also not supposed to run reach 125*C on stock clocks