2080 ti + 1080 ti running hot

I have been running a system with a gigabyte 1080ti turbo mostly for 3d modelling and rendering. My primary software is cinema 4d and octane render. I recently decided to buy a gigabyte aorus x 2080ti  to use in addition to the 1080 ti. However, I did not realize that my motherboard did not have much space between the pcie slots and the two cards are almost touching. the issue might be solved if i could put the 2080ti on the bottom, since the 1080ti is a slimmer blower style card. However, there are some necessary connectors on the motherboard getting in the way. 

I ran octane bench just to see how bad the heat would be and it was pretty bad. the 2080ti ran about 86c and the 1080ti ran 90c for most of the benchmark. However, my score increased from 313 with just the rtx card to 428 with both. from what I understand about octane bench this is a pretty significant increase and took almost half the time.

I am worried though that these temps could severely damage the cards (especially since the 1080ti does not have a backplate) and I am considering using only the rtx card or replacing it with a slimmer blower style rtx card. 

Can someone tell me what would be the best option? thanks

unnamed.jpg

1 minute ago, Chrober24 said:

Just remove the case side panel?

What case is it?

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

4 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Just remove the case side panel?

What case is it?

nzxt h700.

I thought about that but I live in los angeles in an apartment with no ac so i have my windows open all the time. can't even keep my desk clean so i don't want all of that getting in my pc.  

it's also 34c outside right now and will probably get hotter as the summer goes so those temps would go down a little in a cooler climate

1 minute ago, Chrober24 said:

nzxt h700.

I thought about that but I live in los angeles in an apartment with no ac so i have my windows open all the time. can't even keep my desk clean so i don't want all of that getting in my pc

Case is really closed off for airflow, could always get something like an H500 mesh with 2 200mm fans for intake.

Should also totally come buy my 1950X system down in san diego for a dedicated rendering workhorse...

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

take side panel off and put a box fan blowing into the case for added airflow on low. This will solve your temp problems 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

2 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Case is really closed off for airflow, could always get something like an H500 mesh with 2 200mm fans for intake.

Should also totally come buy my 1950X system down in san diego for a dedicated rendering workhorse...

would love to but I don't have money for more new parts right now. I'm in the middle of my thesis. Also, I do mostly graphics rendering so threadripper would only help a little

To be honest, the temps are fine. I had two GTX 980s running in SLI for over 1 year at 94°C and 98°C under load.

Of course you would want them to be lower for better performance, but if you're fine with the current performance you get, then leave it as it is.

Personally I would get a new case with better airflow.

47 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

To be honest, the temps are fine. I had two GTX 980s running in SLI for over 1 year at 94°C and 98°C under load.

Of course you would want them to be lower for better performance, but if you're fine with the current performance you get, then leave it as it is.

Personally I would get a new case with better airflow.

High temps are going to impact the lifespan of the capacitors

Spoiler

Just now, Streetguru said:

High temps are going to impact the lifespan of the capacitors

True.

I don't think it matters.

2080 ti down clocks at those temps. 

My FTW3 Ultra has to stay in the low 70s to get good performance. I average 2040mhz with the defult fan curve and 2100 mhz with a custom cure. I could not do that at 86c.

As for it hurting no. Not unless you have messed with the bois. 2080 tis throttle at 84c stock and 88c with the power limit all the way up. 

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

Perhaps it could help to get some more airflow through the case? :)

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

Update: I was able to rearrange some cables to get the 2080ti on the bottom allowing for a good bit more space between the cards. Now i'm seeing slightly better temps: 70c on the 2080ti and 83c on the 1080ti. 

I did run into an issue where my renderings were crashing with the monitors plugged into the 2080ti (bottom pcie slot). to my knowledge both slots are pcie x 16 so i did not think it would be an issue. seemed quite odd to me. but connecting the monitors to the 1080ti in the top pcie slot solved that issue. 

for all the people suggesting to remove the side panel: i did that and did not receive any better temps. The issue with that is that I live in los angeles and do not have air conditioning so the ambient temps are around 30-35c during the day.  I am planning on getting a small desktop ac and point it at the intake for my pc. maybe that will help some.

i live in s fl. so i do have worst temps  in house then you. but that front case is not helping at all.

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

8 hours ago, dogwitch said:

i live in s fl. so i do have worst temps  in house then you. but that front case is not helping at all.

i've started removing the front panel while rendering to get better airflow. it doesn't have any effect on temps. it runs about 10c cooler in the morning and late at night so the outside temp is definitely a big factor. i think the reason the 1080ti is getting so hot is that its a blower style card so its just sucking hot air from the gap between the cards now. the only thing i can think of now is to have actively cooled air blowing into the case. 

15 hours ago, Chrober24 said:

Update: I was able to rearrange some cables to get the 2080ti on the bottom allowing for a good bit more space between the cards. Now i'm seeing slightly better temps: 70c on the 2080ti and 83c on the 1080ti. 

I did run into an issue where my renderings were crashing with the monitors plugged into the 2080ti (bottom pcie slot). to my knowledge both slots are pcie x 16 so i did not think it would be an issue. seemed quite odd to me. but connecting the monitors to the 1080ti in the top pcie slot solved that issue. 

for all the people suggesting to remove the side panel: i did that and did not receive any better temps. The issue with that is that I live in los angeles and do not have air conditioning so the ambient temps are around 30-35c during the day.  I am planning on getting a small desktop ac and point it at the intake for my pc. maybe that will help some.

58 minutes ago, Chrober24 said:

i've started removing the front panel while rendering to get better airflow. it doesn't have any effect on temps. it runs about 10c cooler in the morning and late at night so the outside temp is definitely a big factor. i think the reason the 1080ti is getting so hot is that its a blower style card so its just sucking hot air from the gap between the cards now. the only thing i can think of now is to have actively cooled air blowing into the case. 

What motherboard are you running, also what CPU?

It looks like a "Tomahawk" motherboard...?

The bottom slot could be PCI-E X4 (electrically) instead and coming from the motherboard chipset, again, depends on the motherboard.

That might be the cause / factor of the crashing issue.

70*C and 83*C doesn't seem to bad now.

83*C might cause the GPU to fall out of max Boost state, though.

How does your case fan / airflow set-up look like?

Have you considered removing the front dust filter to improve airflow?  -- just temporary, to reduce the airflow restriction coming from the front intake fans.

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

1 hour ago, -rascal- said:

What motherboard are you running, also what CPU?

It looks like a "Tomahawk" motherboard...?

The bottom slot could be PCI-E X4 (electrically) instead and coming from the motherboard chipset, again, depends on the motherboard.

That might be the cause / factor of the crashing issue.

70*C and 83*C doesn't seem to bad now.

83*C might cause the GPU to fall out of max Boost state, though.

How does your case fan / airflow set-up look like?

Have you considered removing the front dust filter to improve airflow?  -- just temporary, to reduce the airflow restriction coming from the front intake fans.

Motherboard is x299 tomahawk ac

I would much rather have the rtx card in the top slot to maximize its performance, but for the reasons listed above, that is not possible. I'm still getting about 1935MHz with stock settings so it seems to be performing okay

cpu is i9 7900x (not the best, but this was my first build and didnt quite know what I was doing yet)

airflow setup: 3x 120mm intake fans on front, 1x 240mm exhaust fan on back, x62 kraken aio on top with fans pulling air out of case

I tried removing the filter, the top panel, and the glass for better airflow while rendering. temps did not change. 

I'm pretty happy with the performance now (gpu rendering is about twice as fast). would love to have cooler temps though so I'm not sweating all day while working

11 minutes ago, Chrober24 said:

Motherboard is x299 tomahawk ac

I would much rather have the rtx card in the top slot to maximize its performance, but for the reasons listed above, that is not possible. I'm still getting about 1935MHz with stock settings so it seems to be performing okay

cpu is i9 7900x (not the best, but this was my first build and didnt quite know what I was doing yet)

airflow setup: 3x 120mm intake fans on front, 1x 240mm exhaust fan on back, x62 kraken aio on top with fans pulling air out of case

I tried removing the filter, the top panel, and the glass for better airflow while rendering. temps did not change. 

I'm pretty happy with the performance now (gpu rendering is about twice as fast). would love to have cooler temps though so I'm not sweating all day while working

Ah okay...the two PCI-E X16 slots are definitely running at X16 / X16, and directly through the CPU's PCI-E data lanes.

Weird you are encountering that issue...

Okay if the temperatures don't change, then case airflow is not the problem.

35*C room / ambient along it enough to offset the temperature.

35*C and 48*C delta over ambient is pretty good .... with crappy airflow cases you can be seeing 50*C ~ 60*C+ deltas.

Have you also tried setting up a custom fan curve, or a more aggressive fan speed?

THAT said, given that the GTX 1080 Ti is a blower style card, it will inherently run warmer...compared to an open-style cooler, like the RTX 2080 Ti.

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

6 minutes ago, -rascal- said:

Ah okay...the two PCI-E X16 slots are definitely running at X16 / X16, and directly through the CPU's PCI-E data lanes.

Weird you are encountering that issue...

Okay if the temperatures don't change, then case airflow is not the problem.

35*C room / ambient along it enough to offset the temperature.

35*C and 48*C delta over ambient is pretty good .... with crappy airflow cases you can be seeing 50*C ~ 60*C+ deltas.

Have you also tried setting up a custom fan curve, or a more aggressive fan speed?

THAT said, given that the GTX 1080 Ti is a blower style card, it will inherently run warmer...compared to an open-style cooler, like the RTX 2080 Ti.

I emailed otoy (rendering software company) as well as gigabyte (gpu company) to see if they knew the cause, but i have not heard back

both of my cards have curves set to reach max rpms at 50c. this is pretty aggressive and loud, but i don't care much about sound. I expected the 1080ti to run a bit hot because it reached into the low 70s on its own. I imagine the culprit now is just the fact that it is pulling air straight off of the 2080ti backplate so the temps aren't going to change much unless i blow cold air directly on the cards. 

I guess i could return my aorus extreme and get the waterforce version haha