Want to use a gtx 980m from a laptop and transfer this over to a desktop buld

Budget (including currency): 

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: 

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

I have existing parts from my MSI GT 70 2qe dominator. The motherboard fried on it during a bios update. I attempted resetting the CMOS 

the original build can be found here https://www.msi.com/Laptop/support/gt70-2qd-dominator

All the parts should function fine aside the motherboard, I just think it would be better to utilize the parts into a desktop build with a better processor. I am just wondering how it could be slotted onto a desktop build.

I know ITX builds in the past utilized the 980m. I just dont think I can get a new motherboard for the laptop and figured I would be better off buying an AMD Ryzen chip with some new ram and a new harddrive and just utilizing the gtx 980m with 8gb of vram.

I am not looking for a specific build type, Dont care if its small or big, I just want to know of a motherboard that would work. The processor is also still fine. Nothing is Soldered on the board. cpu is completely removable, gpu completely removable.

My question is more aimed at what motherboard can i put these parts in, how can i cool these parts?    

Just now, Shimejii said:

You cannot use a 980m on a desktop.

there's desktops that use it already in itx form factor that are old. I am just unfamiliar with the what kind of slot I need to utilize it. what kind of motherboards are compatible. If This isnt possible what motherboard would i need to transfer it to to make it work. Im sure there is some way to rig this up

there might be a weird adapter if its a physical (no idea what that connection is called) card but GENERALLY laptop stuff doesn't work with desktops unless its a socketed cpu.

Just now, nebgreenfox said:

there's desktops that use it already in itx form factor that are old. I am just unfamiliar with the what kind of slot I need to utilize it. what kind of motherboards are compatible. If This isnt possible what motherboard would i need to transfer it to to make it work. Im sure there is some way to rig this up

you need to check if your gpu is soldered if it is then NO GO. if its not maybe theres an option.

You cannot use a 980m on a normal desktop computer. Those ITX setups just used the laptop internals and put them into a case.

Just now, Shimejii said:

You cannot use a 980m on a normal desktop computer. Those ITX setups just used the laptop internals and put them into a case.

well so this is the type of build i am looking for. Just something where i can utilize these parts because I cant find a replacement motherboard

1 minute ago, Ohsnaps said:

you need to check if your gpu is soldered if it is then NO GO. if its not maybe theres an option.

GPU and CPU are not soldered on completely removable. I want to just find a way to utilize the parts because i cannot find a replacement motherboard for the laptop.

while im sure there is some knock off product, or way to ghetto rig it, it's a bad idea. just get an actual pci gpu.

You are relly much better off selling that gpu and getting a good desktop gpu

But is your carad mxm? Can you show a picture?

Here is a adapter, but id really stay away from these, There made for dev work, or made for server, neither of these you want. https://www.ebay.com/itm/MXM3-to-PCIe-AMD-Riser-Card-for-MXM3-based-AMD-GPUs-w-o-GPU/112812107426?hash=item1a442026a2:g:pDwAAOSwceNageeJ

You can also get boards like this that have mxm, but this board seems to have the low power mxm slot that won't fit your gpu, and doesn't have a heatsink. https://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-700629-601-System-board-assembly-for-MXM-UMA-WIN/162985123673?hash=item25f2ab9f59:g:RNgAAOSwkm9ax~Py

Really, don't do this.

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

You can also get boards like this that have mxm, but this board seems to have the low power mxm slot that won't fit your gpu, and doesn't have a heatsink. 

On top of that, there aren't any proper MXM equipped motherboards that feature a current gen socket, the best available is 1151 v1, skylake and the like.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

You are relly much better off selling that gpu and getting a good desktop gpu

But is your carad mxm? Can you show a picture?

Here is a adapter, but id really stay away from these, There made for dev work, or made for server, neither of these you want. https://www.ebay.com/itm/MXM3-to-PCIe-AMD-Riser-Card-for-MXM3-based-AMD-GPUs-w-o-GPU/112812107426?hash=item1a442026a2:g:pDwAAOSwceNageeJ

You can also get boards like this that have mxm, but this board seems to have the low power mxm slot that won't fit your gpu, and doesn't have a heatsink. https://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-700629-601-System-board-assembly-for-MXM-UMA-WIN/162985123673?hash=item25f2ab9f59:g:RNgAAOSwkm9ax~Py

Really, don't do this.

I can send pictures of the internal components tomorrow. a replacement motherboard is like $300 for this laptop. I just feel like I might as well find a desktop equivalent if im going to drop that kind of money on it. The 980m's are selling for dirt cheap on ebay feel like its not worth the time. would enjoy building something with it much more if that makes sense. 

I just reset the cmos today and reapplied thermal paste and it just isnt turning on.                                                              

1 minute ago, Fasauceome said:

On top of that, there aren't any proper MXM equipped motherboards that feature a current gen socket, the best available is 1151 v1, skylake and the like.

so maybe i could just transfer the parts over the a MXM equipped motherboard. I guess i could keep all the same internals, but would need a new cooling system possibly. The CPU is not soldered on. I removed it today when I attempted resetting the cmos and applied new thermal paste to both the CPU and gpu. Its like a small square unit for the GPU thats slotted into something. The CPU chip itself can be completely removed 

so maybe i could just transfer the parts over the a MXM equipped motherboard. I guess i could keep all the same internals, but would need a new cooling system possibly. The CPU is not soldered on. I removed it today when I attempted resetting the cmos and applied new thermal paste to both the CPU and gpu. Its like a small square unit for the GPU thats slotted into something. The CPU chip itself can be completely removed 

getting that new motherboard is your cheapest solution by far. Or sell the laptop as is.

1 minute ago, nebgreenfox said:

The CPU is not soldered on. I removed it today when I attempted resetting the cmos and applied new thermal paste to both the CPU and gpu. Its like a small square unit for the GPU thats slotted into something. The CPU chip itself can be completely removed 

What model CPU do you have?

Even if the 980M is selling for "dirt cheap," it's not even as powerful as a GTX 970, so maybe get a desktop system with this removable cpu, some so-dimm to dimm adapters, and a compatible GPU and motherboard off eBay.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 minute ago, Fasauceome said:

What model CPU do you have?

Even if the 980M is selling for "dirt cheap," it's not even as powerful as a GTX 970, so maybe get a desktop system with this removable cpu, some so-dimm to dimm adapters, and a compatible GPU and motherboard off eBay.

https://www.msi.com/Laptop/GT70-2QD-Dominator/Specification

This is the original build. Im not buying a new gtx 980m with 8gb of vram. I trying to repurpose it because I cannot find a replacement motherboard for it after I fried it during a bios flash. All the parts aside the motherboard should be in working order. I cannot even tell you the original CPU. This thing has been collecting dust since 2017. I already have a new build with an RTX 2060. I just want to put these parts to good use. I dont want to sell them. 

I looked up a YouTube teardown of the laptop, the CPU is not standard so you can not use it in a standard motherboard. If you get an MXM equipped motherboard, you will need a new CPU as well.

Primary PC:

Maybe just get a BIOS flasher and use the desktop to hopefully resurrect the laptop?

No desktop boards will take the 4th gen mobile CPU as is (mods that include a pin-adapter exist in China but that requires a soldering station and they sell the service, not just the adapter), so your best bet is to get another laptop or small form factor desktop that is compatible with the same CPUs and has MXM slot. 

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

If your GPU has MXM form factor, then you can use an adapter like this and use it in ur pcie slot. https://www.notebookcheck.net/Eurocom-MXM3-Riser-Cards-will-power-your-desktop-with-a-laptop-GPU.241042.0.html

I wouldn't really recommend it though. You can literally get a used rx570 for around $80 which will give u a significant boost in performance.

SSD TIER LIST

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X

Mobo - ASRock X470 Taichi

Memory - G.Skill Trident Z RGB (8x2 3200MHz) 

Storage - Sabrent Rocket 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 2TBWD Black 1TB

GPU - MSI GeForce GTX 980Ti LIGHTNING

CaseFractal Design Meshify C

PSUSuper Flower Leadex II Gold 650W

I agree with the forum's general sentiment. Even if this is viable through jimmy rigged connectors and 3rd party drivers, you're still talking about buying old dead socket gear for an old GPU currently worth less that $150. 

Sell what you can for what you can get and buy into a better setup.