Can't open case due to stripped hex screw

I have a Corsair Spec-Omega RGB case and the hex screws have started to strip. I am currently thinking of using a wrench to try to twist it out, but its rounded and is extremely thin and I don't know if it will be able to grip. Does anyone know of a relatively safe (for the case) way to remove it?

drill it out is your only real course of action you can take here. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Do you have a picture of said screw? Where are the screws located?

5 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

drill it out is your only real course of action you can take here. 

This should be the last resort, not the first thing to try.

6 minutes ago, thebrain36 said:

Do you have a picture of said screw?

+1

5 minutes ago, TheZaron said:

I have a Corsair Spec-Omega RGB case and the hex screws have started to strip. I am currently thinking of using a wrench to try to twist it out, but its rounded and is extremely thin and I don't know if it will be able to grip. Does anyone know of a relatively safe (for the case) way to remove it?

Stripped nut/screw extractors would do the trick too, if you have the kit, if not they are relatively expensive to purchase, so pliers or drill it out would be your best bet.

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800X GPU: Reference 5700XT (Asus) Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X470-F RAM: Corsair 32GB Vengeance 3600Mhz PSU: Corsair RM850X White

Cooling: Corsair H115i RGB Storage: 500GB WD SN750 M.2, 4TB Samsung EVO SSD Case: NZXT H500i White

Keyboard: Asus ROG Strix Flare (MX Red) Mouse: Corsair Sabre RGB

49 minutes ago, thebrain36 said:

Do you have a picture of said screw? Where are the screws located?

They are on the corners of my side panel.

IMG_0695.jpg

1 minute ago, TheZaron said:

They are on the corners of my side panel.

Get a pair of vice grips from your garage, size it up with the diameter of the screw and twist as if it were pliers. (Vice grips are OP) 

Option two would be shove some tinfoil (a couple layers at least) in the hole and find a hexbit that fits just a size too big.

Option three would be drilling it out, which would be destruction for the glass and case (aka not a good idea).

The first thing you should do is to put some thick and cut resistant adhesive tape around the screws to prevent your case from being scratched (any more).

Try to get some WD40 on the screw's thread to reduce the force needed.

Then use some water pump pliers or anything else with enough force to grip onto the screw head.

You could also epoxy an old allen key into the battered hole.

If this doesn't work you could cut a slot into the screw head with a Dremel tool and use the biggest flat head screw driver available.

Last but not least: use an emergency hammer to shatter the glass and get a new set of screws and a new side panel. There should be replacement parts available. Ans don't forget to capture it on video! 😅