Now you can stream yourself freezing to death - 5G base stations build on Mount Everest

williamcll

image.png.5082630de5db75f680310cc2a97192ef.png

With the ever increasing investment into the development around the Himalayas, The Chinese side of the mountain range now have 5G (non mmWave) antennas installed to facilitate better networking to people living within those regions.

Chinese telecoms giants Huawei and China Mobile have chosen the highest mountain in the world to make some kind of point about how great they are at 5G. They put a base station 6,500 meters up Mount Everest, from which they reckon people will be able to access 5G at the summit. We’ve all been there, haven’t we? You get to the top of the world and fancy streaming the footie while you’re up there. Until now bored climbers were forced to talk to each other at the summit, but no longer. There’s a distinctly nationalistic flavour to the stunt too. “It comes on the 60th anniversary of the first successful ascent of Mount Everest from the northern slope and the 45th anniversary of China’s first official accurate measurement of Mount Everest,” declared the press release. “Significantly, the 5G network on Mount Everest will provide communication services for the 2020 Mount Everest re-measurement.”

Whether the growing legions of 5G conspiracy theorists will agree is distinctly uncertain. After all, what better way to control the minds of the world than to beam malevolent radiation from the top of it? Having said that, if any of them manage to vandalize this 5G base station they at least deserve top marks for effort. Here’s a diagram to explain why they may be mistaken.

It is also known that a related group was also performing geological studies at the mountain as well and has left as of the time of this post, and installed a GNSS receiver.

CHC Navigation’s P5 geodetic GNSS receiver on May 27 was used successfully by a Chinese team of surveyors to complete the 2020 Mount Everest Elevation Survey. This is the first time that a team of Chinese surveyors has climbed the summit of Mount Everest, and it is also the first time that BeiDou-based Chinese GNSS receivers have been used to measure the height of Mount Everest, known in China as Mount Qomolangma.

CHC-Nav-receiver-Everest-W.jpg

Measuring the height of Mount Everest, especially the summit, is a challenge, not only for the limitation of the human body in such elevation environment, but also for the performance of the GNSS receiver itself.At over 8,800 meters, the minimum temperature can reach -45°C and the atmospheric pressure is only 30 kPa (compared to the normal 101 kPa). All the surveying equipment used is exposed to both low temperature and low-pressure constraints. In addition, the operation of the instruments must be as simple and reliable as possible in such an extreme environment. Surveyors wear thick winter clothing and lack oxygen, making every movement an extreme challenge. Finally, the measurement of the mountain peak must be completed at the first attempt, as re-measurement is impossible.

CHC-Everest-Team-Climbing-W.jpg

The 53 members of the first National Survey Team overcame the difficulties related to the environment, bad weather and the additional impact of COVID-19, and conducted a series of measurements on Mount Everest and surrounding areas such as level, gravity and GNSS. Thirty of the 60 points of the GNSS control network were measured with CHCNAV GNSS receivers, including three of the seven Everest elevation intersection points. On May 27, the CHCNAV GNSS receivers finally reached the summit and successfully completed the task.

Source: https://telecoms.com/504051/huawei-and-china-mobile-stick-a-5g-base-station-on-mount-everest/

https://www.gpsworld.com/chc-navigations-gnss-receivers-reach-everest-peak/

Thoughts: While this news is absolutely useless to the majority of the users of this forum, IT infrastructure for high altitude people are often overlooked. Improving network capabilities is certainly a boon for both the locals and tourists going to the mountain range. However this still haven't solved the issue with pollution and danger of climbing Mt. Everest so that's another problem that technology could solve.

Funfact: the famous Green boots and sleeping beauty corpses were removed a few years ago so some of the dead bodies you see if by chance you are visiting Nepal may be a fresh one.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

This could turn out to be very useful for climbers who get into trouble up the mountain.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

That time when you realize people at the top of mount Everest have faster internet than half your country.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

It's to better spread covid-19 around the himalayas, wouldn't want Tibetans to miss out on the fun

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 hour ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Which wavelength, because a lot of 5G rollouts have line-of-sight and low-range issues.

Also, Sat-Phones have existed for 30 years.

If I remember it's 3.5Ghz

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

2 hours ago, leadeater said:

Find my iPhone trapped climber

I can imagine someone bringing their iPhone to the top of mt. Everest, drop it there, come back down and go "hmmm.. where is my iPhone...?" Use his iPad to locate the phone and go "oh crap..!"

In my eyes every 4G improvement and 5G rollouts are bringing everyone in a first world country closer to faster and more widely covered Internet access. Because we can use the data that we cain from these first rollouts to further improve the Tech and make breakthroughs in the space.

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.