Help, my stream is VERY choppy...

Computer specs:

i3-4130 (2c,4t)

8gb of RAM

GTX 1050

The stream: 

(Yes, I play roblox)

Any idea on how to at least get 30 fps stream?

(Any questions about my config can just ask me) 

IMG_20200526_202458.jpg

IMG_20200526_202510.jpg

IMG_20200526_202525.jpg

2 minutes ago, General K3nobi said:

Computer specs:

i3-4130 (2c,4t)

8gb of RAM

GTX 1050

Use NVENC instead of x264.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

7 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

Use NVENC instead of x264.

I tried, it's way worse

Have you selected NVENC or NVENC new?

Gamesystem: X3700, 32GB memory @3200mhz, GTX1080 Hybrid

Unraid system: Epyc 7352, 24/48, 96GB ECC buffered @2666mhz, 2x GT710, GTX1050Ti

Just now, Caennanu said:

Have you selected NVENC or NVENC new?

In th3 setting there's only an option for Nvenc new and x264. So yeah I selected Nvenc new

allright, up your bitrate to 6000. see if that helps

and turn very fast to normal, for cpu.

Unraid system: Epyc 7352, 24/48, 96GB ECC buffered @2666mhz, 2x GT710, GTX1050Ti

4 hours ago, Caennanu said:

allright, up your bitrate to 6000. see if that helps

and turn very fast to normal, for cpu.

Yeah, like that will help to dropped frames.

@General K3nobi, whats you upload speed? Also whats your CPU usage while this happens? Dropped frames can be because of 3 reasons. CPU can't handle encoding (NVENC should fix that), upload can't handle bitrate (you need 2mbps up at minimum, 5mbps to be sure) or Twitch servers are having issues.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

2 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

Yeah, like that will help to dropped frames.

@General K3nobi, whats you upload speed? Also whats your CPU usage while this happens? Dropped frames can be because of 3 reasons. CPU can't handle encoding (NVENC should fix that), upload can't handle bitrate (you need 2mbps up at minimum, 5mbps to be sure) or Twitch servers are having issues.

it might? i have little to no information to go on.

If it doens't help, i'd ask the questions you were asking, but as a moderator you probably know its a process to elminate all causes, going for the easiest options first.

Stating 'facts' is a way to support too i geuss.

@General K3nobi any succes so far? maybe additional troubleshooting done that gave some sort of result?

2 minutes ago, Caennanu said:

it might? i have little to no information to go on.

If it doens't help, i'd ask the questions you were asking, but as a moderator you probably know its a process to elminate all causes, going for the easiest options first.

Stating 'facts' is a way to support too i geuss.

My status as moderator means I know the rules of the forum, it does not correlate to anything hardware/software-wise. I DO however have experience in low- and mid-range streaming. And have had dropped frames because of all three mentioned things. If there would not have been screenshot with dropped frames counter showing 11%, I would not have posted at all.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

1 minute ago, LogicalDrm said:

My status as moderator means I know the rules of the forum, it does not correlate to anything hardware/software-wise. I DO however have experience in low- and mid-range streaming. And have had dropped frames because of all three mentioned things. If there would not have been screenshot with dropped frames counter showing 11%, I would not have posted at all.

Alright, fair enuff.

Let's focus on his problem and try to solve it together!

So cpu is a 2 core cpu with 4 threads, running at or around 3,4ghz. even tho i cannot find any system requirements (or atleast, recent ones) i'd say in theory this should be enough.

Now i am wondering, is this pc dedicated to streaming, as in you're not gaming on it and are using a 2 pc setup, or are you gaming on this pc too? Incase of the latter: Can you show us your utilization of the cpu and memory (task manager) with just the game running? So we can see if there is any headroom to stream with at all?

example: image.png.da363e43c9afd9e84546801db510f96f.png

Can you post us a screenshot of a random internet speedtest. So we can see if your connection can handle it? ( i recommend ookla)

WARNING! DO NOT screenshot your IP Address.

example: image.png.f7d93d336cc8c9b33434ed55eb14693c.png

I'm having nothing but trouble with OBS too, same GPU. Even the preview is shockingly bad.

1 minute ago, Curious Pineapple said:

I'm having nothing but trouble with OBS too, same GPU. Even the preview is shockingly bad.

Aha that stuff helps. Can you perhaps show us how hard your GPU is at work? with and without streaming?

(with nvenc you shouldn't see much difference in utilization)

Just now, Caennanu said:

Aha that stuff helps. Can you perhaps show us how hard your GPU is at work? with and without streaming?

(with nvenc you shouldn't see much difference in utilization)

It's pegged, I have a GTX650 as a second GPU in an attempt to sort out the issue. No change, I get a wierd alternating black/white chequered pattern across chunks of the image. It's bad in Sea of Thieves main build, not as bad in an insiders edition (not recording, just previewing). When I do record it's really jittery, no dropped frames just really laggy.

CPU usage is 25-35%, dual Xeon

Just now, Curious Pineapple said:

It's pegged, I have a GTX650 as a second GPU in an attempt to sort out the issue. No change, I get a wierd alternating black/white chequered pattern across chunks of the image. It's bad in Sea of Thieves main build, not as bad in an insiders edition (not recording, just previewing). When I do record it's really jittery, no dropped frames just really laggy.

CPU usage is 25-35%, dual Xeon

OKay, with the 1050 you're using NVENC right? cause i don't think the 650 supports NVENC and only H256.

In that case, from the information provided so far, i'd say the nvenc on 1050's isn't powerfull enough, while it is according to the support list nvidia's provided . . 

6 minutes ago, Caennanu said:

OKay, with the 1050 you're using NVENC right? cause i don't think the 650 supports NVENC and only H256.

In that case, from the information provided so far, i'd say the nvenc on 1050's isn't powerfull enough, while it is according to the support list nvidia's provided . . 

650 does support NVENC according to nVidia. I get the same result using CPU too. What didn't give me trouble was gaming inside a VM, and using NDI to stream to a second VM that then did the encoding using the CPU.

8 minutes ago, Curious Pineapple said:

650 does support NVENC according to nVidia. I get the same result using CPU too. What didn't give me trouble was gaming inside a VM, and using NDI to stream to a second VM that then did the encoding using the CPU.

alright, not doubting you, here's my source tho: https://developer.nvidia.com/video-encode-decode-gpu-support-matrix

so then maybe it is windows scheduler? asuming you lock resources to the VM's. If so, can you set affinity of the game to 1 core, and affinity of obs to another, see if that works?

image.png

Just now, Caennanu said:

alright, not doubting you, here's my source tho: https://developer.nvidia.com/video-encode-decode-gpu-support-matrix

so then maybe it is windows scheduler? asuming you lock resources to the VM's. If so, can you set affinity of the game to 1 core, and affinity of obs to another, see if that works?

(can't find the option anymore, searching as this is posted incase you want to search with me)

I ditched the VM setup at the weekend. I just started the game and has insane tearing up the screen. Dropped settings to lowest and resolution to 900p. Now running a smooth 120FPS. at 10% util. v-sync enabled caps at 60 and about 40% GPU usage. CPU usage still good. Just reinstalled OBS and going to see how it goes now I've more than halved the GPU utilisation.

okay been googling a bit.

appearantly you need atleast driver version 390.77. Can you check your driver version, make sure its higher?

Running perfect at 540p, 150 FPS, single core usage getting up near 80%, GPU up near 100% and recording is silky smooth. Slowly start raising settings and resolution, and at 1080 is goes to dog crap again.

Driver version is 441.87, I think the 1050 is not quite enough for more demanding games and recording/streaming. Odd that with NDI it worked fine though.

5 minutes ago, Curious Pineapple said:

Running perfect at 540p, 150 FPS, single core usage getting up near 80%, GPU up near 100% and recording is silky smooth. Slowly start raising settings and resolution, and at 1080 is goes to dog crap again.

Driver version is 441.87, I think the 1050 is not quite enough for more demanding games and recording/streaming. Odd that with NDI it worked fine though.

very odd indeed. so streaming at 720p(ish) works just fine for you? which is what the original poster was having issues with.

Just now, Caennanu said:

very odd indeed. so streaming at 720 works just fine for you? which is what the original poster was having issues with.

Not streaming, just recording. I reinstalled OBS and let it auto configure just for recording. The higher the quality/resolution, the worse it got. I think the card is just not up to the job. Also if you scroll to the bottom of the NVENC list you linked to, there's a button for a complete list and the GTX6540 is in there with a single NVENC encoder with 2 concurrent sessions.

Seems the 1050 is giving a few people issues with streaming/encoding. 2GB may not be enough VRAM for more demanding games.

19 hours ago, Caennanu said:

Alright, fair enuff.

So cpu is a 2 core cpu with 4 threads, running at or around 3,4ghz. even tho i cannot find any system requirements (or atleast, recent ones) i'd say in theory this should be enough.

Now i am wondering, is this pc dedicated to streaming, as in you're not gaming on it and are using a 2 pc setup, or are you gaming on this pc too? Incase of the latter: Can you show us your utilization of the cpu and memory (task manager) with just the game running? So we can see if there is any headroom to stream with at all?

Can you post us a screenshot of a random internet speedtest. So we can see if your connection can handle it? ( i recommend ookla)

Can't do it right now cause my bro won't let me play the pc (d*ckhead, in their defence it is his tho but I did bundle up some money for the pc too >:( ) but I can tell you the internet speed tho. Now, it is not from the pc directly but I can tell you, it's fast, adequate for pretty much anything. (Pic is just for a worst case scenario imagination, it is wifi and taken from my bedroom so yeah pretty bad)

About the cpu usage tho, well I can tell you one thing, it is all over the place, can't remember the exact number, just remember that its not pegged at 100% all the time

Oh and this a 1 pc setup20200527_233347.thumb.png.b93d8e77eac842e43a5f4429d5e8b1e9.png

here it is lad (this is using the nvenc encoder)speed.png.71d088a512698d63ad6a7e82ab4da89f.pngutilization.png.44244e43e5a5131572697a75f36c01ab.png)

On 5/27/2020 at 3:49 AM, Caennanu said:

Alright, fair enuff.

Ok now I've switch to NVENC encoder and play a cpu heavy game like CSGO and it's pretty good now. It's just that I don't plan to play CS all day and actually wants to play a bit of Roblox. So yeah, it's definately better, just not at the level that I want.

On 5/29/2020 at 11:44 AM, General K3nobi said:

Ok now I've switch to NVENC encoder and play a cpu heavy game like CSGO and it's pretty good now. It's just that I don't plan to play CS all day and actually wants to play a bit of Roblox. So yeah, it's definately better, just not at the level that I want.

Could be Twitch then. Have you tried to stream with YT to see if its better?

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv