Urgent support guys… (RTX2060 stopped powering on…)

thiago.dalpoz

I`m using a MSI RTX2060 for1 year now after updating my DELL XPS desktop with a new power supply… everything running smoothly until a few hours ago when my screen didn`t appeared when PC turned on.

I`ve changed the monitor output for the motherboard HDMI and windows appeared, working fine.

Opening the case I`ve noticed that the GPU wasn’t powering on.. checked the power connection (just to be sure because I haven’t moved the computer or changed any config), everything ok… I’ve tried changing the power cables but zero response from GPU… PC is now working with the Intel graph card…

Is this probably a out of the blue dead GPU? Any tips I could try if I have no power on the card?

Thanks guys! (the urgency is because I have to finish a massive render for a job…)

4 minutes ago, thiago.dalpoz said:

I`m using a MSI RTX2060 for1 year now after updating my DELL XPS desktop with a new power supply… everything running smoothly until a few hours ago when my screen didn`t appeared when PC turned on.

I`ve changed the monitor output for the motherboard HDMI and windows appeared, working fine.

Opening the case I`ve noticed that the GPU wasn’t powering on.. checked the power connection (just to be sure because I haven’t moved the computer or changed any config), everything ok… I’ve tried changing the power cables but zero response from GPU… PC is now working with the Intel graph card…

Is this probably a out of the blue dead GPU? Any tips I could try if I have no power on the card?

Thanks guys! (the urgency is because I have to finish a massive render for a job…)

Maybe the PSU doesn't have enought wattage?

Laptop: HP Spectre x360 13t, i7 8565u with 16 gigs, 512 gig  nvme ssd, UHD 620 4k

Other laptop: Acer Chromebook cb3 431 with 4 gigs, celeron n3060 with hd 400 and 16 gigs eMMC soon to be a minecraft server?

Remeber to tag people or else they wont see your post.

Just now, ItzCopiouz said:

Wouldn't it still power on and only crash under load?

Just now, ItzCopiouz said:

doubtful, even with an i7 the power draw would be under 400 and sub 400 watt PSUs are hard to come by

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Just now, OddGreyFox211 said:

Wouldn't it still power on and only crash under load?

Not neccesairly if it just doesnt have enough wattage for the default settings

Laptop: HP Spectre x360 13t, i7 8565u with 16 gigs, 512 gig  nvme ssd, UHD 620 4k

Other laptop: Acer Chromebook cb3 431 with 4 gigs, celeron n3060 with hd 400 and 16 gigs eMMC soon to be a minecraft server?

Remeber to tag people or else they wont see your post.

I’ve been using this setup for 1 year with multiple tasks with no issues... (not a power user...) so out of nothing the GPU doesn’t power... this is why I’m thinking is dead....

1 minute ago, thiago.dalpoz said:

I’ve been using this setup for 1 year with multiple tasks with no issues... (not a power user...) so out of nothing the GPU doesn’t power... this is why I’m thinking is dead....

What power supply do you have? People tend to cheap out on them and get something that can short other components. But GPUs dont just suddenly go dead, esspecially not after 1 year

Have you tried reseating the GPU?  I don't know if not being seated properly would negate the power up process, as I have never tried to power a GPU that wasn't in a PCIe slot, but it might be a saftey feature built in.

Doubtful that it is a motherboard issue, but consider going into bios, saving a profile of your settings, and then clearing CMOS on your motherboard - you will have either a button or a set of jumpers you will need to cross, you will need to refer to manual (if you don't know already).

You can see if it works, if it does you can reload your saved profile and see if that is the issue, again, unlikely, but a free test that costs you nothing.

Reseat RAM, I have no idea why this would effect your Graphics card, but again, it doesn't cost anything and eliminates another component from the list.

Does the 2060 have various ports on the back, I am assuming HDMI and DP, could try another port to see whether the port has gone.

5 minutes ago, Dravinian said:

Reseat RAM, I have no idea why this would effect your Graphics card

lol

I’ve tried reseated all components... if the GPU was powering on I could try different ports but it doesn’t power on....

As far as I can tell as you describe it sounds like your card may have died 2 things to check though

(is your 8 pin-to cpu seated all the way, is your 24pin seated) these help supply mobo pci-e power

are the modular psu cables secure in the base

if all else you may be able to warranty your card I just bought my evga card and know it has a 3 year warranty after I registered it

ok, so just I check all possibilities before shipping to MSI tech support... any way that my mother board is defective and this is preventing the GPU to turn on? (in other words, the GPU must be installed both in the power supply and in motherboard to turn on? or just in the power supply?) if true I could try installing in another PC just to check (sorry for the noob question...)

tks!

Edited by thiago.dalpoz

• 2 weeks later...

bump... 

any way that my mother board is defective and this is preventing the GPU to turn on? (in other words, the GPU must be installed both in the power supply and in motherboard to turn on? or just in the power supply?) if true I could try installing in another PC just to check (sorry for the noob question...)

tks!

Do a clear CMOS . Take the battery out wait 10min. If you can try that card on another pc.

On 5/26/2020 at 4:10 AM, thiago.dalpoz said:

ok, so just I check all possibilities before shipping to MSI tech support... any way that my mother board is defective and this is preventing the GPU to turn on? (in other words, the GPU must be installed both in the power supply and in motherboard to turn on? or just in the power supply?) if true I could try installing in another PC just to check (sorry for the noob question...)

tks!

Yes try the card in another PC>

The motherboard can supply about 75w to the card. The rest will draw from the power cable.

1 hour ago, Xkillerpn said:

Do a clear CMOS . Take the battery out wait 10min. If you can try that card on another pc.

ok, should I do any backup prior to those operations?

Any chance to loose data from my HDs as a result?

tks!

20 minutes ago, thiago.dalpoz said:

ok, should I do any backup prior to those operations?

Any chance to loose data from my HDs as a result?

tks!

It will just reset bios setting to its default state. Shouldn't affect your HDD. 

I would call whoever made the card and get an RMA if it's still under warranty. I believe you said you connected the HDMI cable to an HDMI port on the motherboard. You could see Windows so your PC is working fine except for the GPU. You said the GPU was working before so it can't be a PSU issue. At least I don't think it. If your PSU had gone up it wouldn't work at all obviously and it probably would have taken out other parts. 

I do think you are right that the GPU is just dead. You need a new one. If it's under warranty call and get an RMA for it. You might have to pay to send in it in, I mean shipping. I bought GTX 1070 Ti new from a seller on Amazon. It was defective out of the box. I contacted the seller and I even fought with them for a while. They told me to contact MSI and get an RMA. I was really pissed off. I even went through the Amazon customer claim A-Z thing. I can tell you now it's a waste of time. So I got tired of screwing with that BS and sent the GPU to MSI. I paid $400 for the GPU on Amazon, it would have cost me more on Newegg. I saved a bit over $100 buying it Newegg. I had to pay $50 to ship it to MSI. 

RMA's are important. It basically saved me. So use it if you can. They will send you either a new GPU or most likely a factory refurbished model. It's better than nothing. 

I really appreciate all insights guys!

Just reset the Bios, (took off the battery and cleared the CMOS)... no response (no powering) from the GPU... I`ll move to the RMA.

😞

be safe!