Old parts, etc being disposed of from past LTT projects.

I saw recently in a post so by no means an official channel that when LTT does dispose of items(that will no longer be stored for future builds) it usually attempts to sell them first (i.e. ebay) and then packs them of to ewaste if they do not sell.

I would like to make a modest suggestion. Whenever I upgrade if I don't keep my working parts as back ups in case of emergency failure, I try to find a good new home for them. I have always given them to someone who couldn't pay me but could really need the benefit those parts would give. It has been my way of paying it forward for whatever negativity I may sow in the world. I see so many less fortunate people in video posts. I was just thinking, maybe a part in the LTT forums could be made into a place where members could buy/sell/give away their old gear. LTT could even post links to their ebay sales and if the items don't sell then maybe allow them to perhaps be given away before just packing everything off to ewaste?

I am practically non-existent in the forums, but just thought this might be an idea that could provide a lot of benefit and tech love to all.

Thanks for all who took the time to read my little post.

Have you link? LMGs way of dealing with used hardware is that they will first and foremost store it. Anything they've got from manufacturers will be difficult to sell as there's no warranty and some of those are engineering samples. They do sell some stuff, mainly things they have bought themselves, but sometimes others too. Stuff that they can't use in future projects. And if stuff is too broken or too old to be used, or sold, they most likely give it as eWaste. eWaste handler in their area being FreeGeek.

Giving away hardware isn't as easy as it is for individuals. They'd need to either setup vetting system themselves or use middleman to find who actually needs it and who wants it just for bragging rights.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

10 hours ago, Canadian Sandman in R.O.K. said:

was just thinking, maybe a part in the LTT forums could be made into a place where members could buy/sell/give away their old gear.

Unless you are specifically referring to LTR as a company, wouldn’t the Classifieds action just be that?

10 hours ago, Canadian Sandman in R.O.K. said:

I was just thinking, maybe a part in the LTT forums could be made into a place where members could buy/sell/give away their old gear.

We do have that already.

There's a classified section on the forum

https://linustechtips.com/main/forum/89-classifieds/

But you need a minimum of 100 posts, first.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

11 hours ago, Canadian Sandman in R.O.K. said:

Whenever I upgrade if I don't keep my working parts as back ups in case of emergency failure, I try to find a good new home for them. I have always given them to someone who couldn't pay me but could really need the benefit those parts would give. It has been my way of paying it forward for whatever negativity I may sow in the world.

You must be a very nice person even to think about it that way.

I find sometimes I have a similar problem getting rid of old hardware.

Where I live they want to charge a person to get rid of everything.

I really hate that because I feel like I already paid way more then the stuff was worth to buy it in the first place.

It ought to be free and easy to just drop off old electronics, pc parts, whatever.

Like what the heck do I do with a 4750 graphics card that quit working a long time ago lol and the three other dud cards in the box with it.

Not to mention old computers, TV's and other junk.

It really makes me mad every time I end up paying to throw away that kind of stuff.

I often imagine a scene in my head where one of those big players in this industry is talking about all the charitable stuff their company is doing around the world. Just then a 13 year old kid comes in and hits him in the head with an old keyboard. Saying in a loud cracking teenage voice "Hey, why don't you clean up your own backyard mess first."  😆

That makes me feel a little better. 😁

17 hours ago, Canadian Sandman in R.O.K. said:

I saw recI was just thinking, maybe a part in the LTT forums could be made into a place where members could buy/sell/give away their old gear.

We have the classifieds section for that https://linustechtips.com/main/forum/89-classifieds/.

As for them giving hardware away, I think it's wise not to as you'll end up inviting beggars onto the forums. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

8 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

Anything they've got from manufacturers will be difficult to sell as there's no warranty and some of those are engineering samples.

I also don’t know the legality of selling items they were provided for free. 

a lot of what they get is sponsored by the manufacturer so LMG wouldn’t have paid for it, therefore it would be suuuper unethical (or potentially illegal) to profit from it. Even giveaways have huuuge regulations and cross country compliance can be a pain.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒