New SD Express card spec is nearly four times faster than the current one

Windows9

https://www.theverge.com/2020/5/19/21264389/new-sd-express-card-specification-four-times-faster

The SD Association, the group that sets the standards for memory cards, announced a new SD 8.0 specification for SD Express memory cards today that will allow the cards to transfer data at a rate of nearly four gigabytes per second, in large part thanks to utilizing PCIe 4.0 and NVMe interfaces commonly found in solid-state drives. That faster transfer rate could be useful as new technologies, like 8K video, create ever-larger files, which in turn require faster throughput if you want to transfer data in a timely manner.

Specifically, the 8.0 specification allows for transfer speeds of up to 3,938 megabytes per second, according to an SD Association white paper. That’s a significant jump from the maximum transfer speeds of 985 megabytes per second you’d find in cards built to the SD 7.0 and SD7.1 specs, which utilized the slower PCIe 3.1 interface. The new specification will be available on SDHC, SDXC, and SDUC memory cards, says the SD Association, which means it could theoretically be used on a 128TB SDUC card, which is currently the highest amount of memory supported by an SD card.

Although the spec was announced today, that doesn’t mean you can run to Best Buy and pick up a new card with the SD 8.0 specification — you’ll have to wait until memory card makers actually implement the specification into upcoming products. You’ll also need devices that read the cards on the hardware end — like laptops, cameras, and card readers — to support the spec, a process that’s likely to take quite a while.

Please tag me @Windows9 so I can see your reply

39 minutes ago, Windows9 said:

https://www.theverge.com/2020/5/19/21264389/new-sd-express-card-specification-four-times-faster

Although the spec was announced today, that doesn’t mean you can run to Best Buy and pick up a new card with the SD 8.0 specification — you’ll have to wait until memory card makers actually implement the specification into upcoming products. You’ll also need devices that read the cards on the hardware end — like laptops, cameras, and card readers — to support the spec, a process that’s likely to take quite a while.

Honestly I have little hope when even modern devices don't come with the previous specs. Take the Surface Book 2 as a good example - it was a flagship Microsoft device just a few years ago, yet it came with UHS-2, and that is despite UHS-3 being released almost a year prior to that. And still some devices even today only come with UHS-2.

“I like being alone. I have control over my own shit. Therefore, in order to win me over, your presence has to feel better than my solitude. You're not competing with another person, you are competing with my comfort zones.”  - portfolio - twitter - instagram - youtube

2 hours ago, Windows9 said:

And prepare yourselves for sticker shock, too.  IF these new cards follow the same pattern as the current hyper-fast CFExpress cards, they're going to bankrupt you to purchase them.  Reliable 512GB CFE cards are still $600(!)  Less reliable ones exist for much less money, but, well, you get what you pay for.  So if this new SD spec and cards follows that, then you'll see very large, but very expensive SD cards come out at first.  And likely stay very expensive until more and more of them are available.

Editing Rig: Mac Pro 7,1

System Specs: 3.2GHz 16-core Xeon | 96GB ECC DDR4 | AMD Radeon Pro W6800X Duo | Lots of SSD and NVMe storage |

Audio: Universal Audio Apollo Thunderbolt-3 Interface |

Displays: 3 x LG 32UL950-W displays |

Gaming Rig: PC

System Specs:  Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Extreme | AMD 7800X3D | 64GB G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 6000MHz RAM | NVidia 4090 FE card (OC'd) | Corsair AX1500i power supply | CaseLabs Magnum THW10 case (RIP CaseLabs ) |

Audio:  Sound Blaster AE-9 card | Mackie DL32R Mixer | Sennheiser HDV820 amp | Sennheiser HD820 phones | Rode Broadcaster mic |

Display: Asus PG32UQX 4K/144Hz displayBenQ EW3280U display

Cooling:  2 x EK 140 Revo D5 Pump/Res | EK Quantum Magnitude CPU block | EK 4090FE waterblock | AlphaCool 480mm x 60mm rad | AlphaCool 560mm x 60mm rad | 13 x Noctua 120mm fans | 8 x Noctua 140mm fans | 2 x Aquaero 6XT fan controllers |

Pretty sure I saw this awhile go.

Good to see that SD cards are catching up on UFS speeds.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

That's nice. This reminded me of Samsung UFS micro SD card. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

4 hours ago, Windows9 said:

Likely? No, you absolutely need SD Express card slots, there's an entirely extra row of pins. If you don't have such a slot, then it runs at compatible speeds using the pins available:

image.png.2b5757a1cdc33ae00aafc1be880122e3.png

src: Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SD_card

Take note of what happens on a UHS-II and USH-III host.

UHS-III doesn't really exist yet in the market and they already made a new faster standard?

That do seem somewhat pointless.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

15 minutes ago, Kisai said:

Likely? No, you absolutely need SD Express card slots, there's an entirely extra row of pins. If you don't have such a slot, then it runs at compatible speeds using the pins available:

image.png.2b5757a1cdc33ae00aafc1be880122e3.png

src: Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SD_card

Take note of what happens on a UHS-II and USH-III host.

So it's worse than UHS-II/III unless both the card reader and card is it?

That's weird and makes me think it won't really be a "thing" untill it's actually a must. (Rather than just a convenience)

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking