What do they mean!????

Goku1814

What are the differnces between a ATX vs ATX12V psu?

Edited by Goku1814

2 minutes ago, Goku1814 said:

What are the differnces between a ATX vs ATX12V psu?

ATX is the old standard.  This was back before the CPU got it's power from the +12V rail.

ATX12V means it has the additional 4-pin to provide +12V to the CPU VRM.

pretty much ^

QUOTE ME  FOR ANSWER.

Main PC:

Spoiler

|Ryzen 7 3700x, OC to 4.2ghz @1.3V, 67C, or 4.4ghz @1.456V, 87C || Asus strix 5700 XT, +50 core, +50 memory, +50 power (not a great overclocker) || Asus Strix b550-A || G.skill trident Z Neo rgb 32gb 3600mhz cl16-19-19-19-39, oc to 3733mhz with the same timings || Cooler Master ml360 RGB AIO || Phanteks P500A Digital || Thermaltake ToughPower grand RGB750w 80+gold || Samsung 850 250gb and Adata SX 6000 Lite 500gb || Toshiba 5400rpm 1tb || Asus Rog Theta 7.1 || Asus Rog claymore || Asus Gladius 2 origin gaming mouse || Monitor 1 Asus 1080p 144hz || Monitor 2 AOC 1080p 75hz || 

Test Rig.

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 3400G || Gigabyte b450 S2H || Hyper X fury 2x4gb 2666mhz cl 16 ||Stock cooler || Antec NX100 || Silverstone essential 400w || Transgend SSD 220s 480gb ||

Just Sold

Spoiler

| i3 9100F || Msi Gaming X gtx 1050 TI || MSI Z390 A-Pro || Kingston 1x16gb 2400mhz cl17 || Stock cooler || Kolink Horizon RGB || Corsair CV 550w || Pny CS900 120gb ||

Tier lists for building a PC.

Motherboard tier list. Tier A for overclocking 5950x. Tier B for overclocking 5900x, Tier C for overclocking 5800X. Tier D for overclocking 5600X. Tier F for 4/6 core Cpus at stock. Tier E avoid.

(Also case airflow matter or if you are using Downcraft air cooler)

Spoiler

Gpu tier list. Rtx 3000 and RX 6000 not included since not so many reviews. Tier S for Water cooling. Tier A and B for overcloking. Tier C stock and Tier D avoid.

( You can overclock Tier C just fine, but it can get very loud, that is why it is not recommended for overclocking, same with tier D)

Spoiler

Psu tier List. Tier A for Rtx 3000, Vega and RX 6000. Tier B For anything else. Tier C cheap/IGPU. Tier D and E avoid.

(RTX 3000/ RX 6000 Might run just fine with higher wattage tier B unit, Rtx 3070 runs fine with tier B units)

Spoiler

Cpu cooler tier list. Tier 1&2 for power hungry Cpus with Overclock. Tier 3&4 for overclocking Ryzen 3,5,7 or lower power Intel Cpus. Tier 5 for overclocking low end Cpus or 4/6 core Ryzen. Tier 6&7 for stock. Tier 8&9 Ryzen stock cooler performance. Do not waste your money!

Spoiler

Storage tier List. Tier A for Moving files/  OS. Tier B for OS/Games. Tier C for games. Tier D budget Pcs. Tier E if on sale not the worst but not good.

(With a grain of salt, I use tier C for OS myself)

Spoiler

Case Tier List. Work In Progress. Most Phanteks airflow series cases already done!

Ask me anything :)

im only wondering bc all of the other power supplies ive ever purchased dont say ATX12V

10 minutes ago, Goku1814 said:

Then is this just a standard psu? https://www.newegg.com/cougar-bxm700-700w/p/N82E16817553043?Item=N82E16817553043 thats the psu ive bought recently.

Yes.

9 minutes ago, Goku1814 said:

im only wondering bc all of the other power supplies ive ever purchased dont say ATX12V

Really?  What PSUs are these?  Do they not have the additional CPU connector?

ATX:

• 20 pin motherboard standard
  • Molex connectors req.
  • Has also -12V, -5V and 3.3V rails.
  • Focusesses power on the 5V rail.
  • Mostly just the 1 rail.

ATX12V:

• 24pin motherboard connector standard. (can take of 4 to make compatible with 20pin as well)
  • If more then 20Amps it has multiple 12V rails.
  • Mostly focused on powering the 12V rails.

etc, there is more. Google for the facts. :)

Both should work on current motherboards, but expect in the future to only be capable of using ATX12V PSU's.

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

Just now, HanZie82 said:

ATX:
20 pin motherboard standard
Molex connectors req.
Has also -12V, -5V and 3.3V rails.

Focusesses power on the 5V rail.

Mostly just the 1 rail.

ATX12V:
24pin motherboard connector standard. (can take of 4 to make compatible with 20pin as well
If more then 20Amps it has multiple 12V rails.

Mostly focused on powering the 12V rails.

etc, there is more. Google for the facts. :)

ATX12V also has -12V and +3.3V.  

ATX12V does not always have multiple +12V rails and often has +12V rails that are over 20A.

"Google for the facts".  LOL!!!!!!!!

4 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

That's a fire cracker, not a power supply

There's nothing wrong with that power supply.

15 minutes ago, Goku1814 said:

Then is this just a standard psu? https://www.newegg.com/cougar-bxm700-700w/p/N82E16817553043?Item=N82E16817553043 thats the psu ive bought recently.

Yeah i cannot recomend this PSU like @5x5 correctly said. Only use that if you're a volunteer for the fire department...

5 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

ATX12V also has -12V and +3.3V.  

ATX12V does not always have multiple +12V rails and often has +12V rails that are over 20A.

"Google for the facts".  LOL!!!!!!!!

Where did you get that erroneous information from? ATX12V doesn't use negative rails anymore...

My bad i misunderstood that part. They removed all negative rails BUT the -12V. But i got the rest correct.

And it is a requirement of the ATX12V standard to use multiple rails if over 20A.

I dont know where you got your information but you are clearly misinformed...
http://www.ieca-inc.com/images/ATX12V_PSDG2.0_Ratified.pdf

Screenshot_30.png

No, chill ...

ATX is really old standard ... the old versions of the standard had -5v, in newer versions -5v is deprecated, only -12v is still present because it's still used in serial ports, for serial communication.

ATX 12v just means they extended the old ATX standard by adding more wires with 12v, and the connectors to power the processor with 12v - the 4 pin or 8 pin cpu power connectors , the extra 4 pins that are added to the 20 pin motherboard connector to form the standard 24 pin connector ( really old motherboards could work with 20pin motherboard connector and didn't require separate cable to power cpu)

While the atx standard specification may say that if the power supply produces more than 20A there should be multiple "rails" of 12v, in practice there are power supplies which have a single rail with more than 40-60A of current... so don't mind that, ignore it.

So pretty much any modern atx power supply is that atx 12v variety.

There's a very recent development made by intel, a variation called ATX12VO or something like that  which just means the power supply produces only 12v, and has different connectors ... it doesn't have that standard 24pin atx connector anymore.

3 minutes ago, HanZie82 said:

Where did you get that erroneous information from? ATX12V doesn't use negative rails anymore...
And it is a requirement of the ATX12V standard to use multiple rails if over 20A.

See page 11 in that pdf :

image.png.95e652403e1660414560008b6bcb9f64.png

13 hours ago, HanZie82 said:

My bad i misunderstood that part. They removed all negative rails BUT the -12V. But i got the rest correct.

Screenshot_30.png

guidelines.gif.60d40505c25fb35b2efb12344c770f94.gif

The pdf you linked to is for ATX12V 2.0. From 2003. Back in 2003 a popular graphics card would have been something like the ATI Radeon 9800 XT. A 60W card that drew power from the AGP slot and from an additional 4pin molex connector. Nowadays you have 250W+ cards that draw power through PCIe connectors. Standards change.

Really you could just look at the label on your power supply to see that there isn't a 20A limit on 12V rails. Your profile specs show you have a Corsair RM750x (2018). The RM750x is a single rail PSU. It has a single 12V rail which is rated to provide up to 62.5A (62.5A x 12V = 750W).

Corsair is a reputable company when it comes to their PSUs. Since you bought and use one of their power supplies I'm sure you trust the people at Corsair who work on developing their PSUs to understand the ATX12V specifications, yeah...?

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

I pretty much ignored this thread when I was told I was misinformed.

I get all my entertainment from people calling Jon ignorant. If I were him I'd be going "DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM".