Game making

jameshumphries47

alright guys im learning python and i really want to make games in teh future, what languages do i need to learn.??

thanks 

~James

Check out my current projects: Selling site (Click Here)

If($reply == "for me to see"){

$action = "Quote me!";

}else{

$action = "Leave me alone!";

}

You can make games with pretty much any language.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

what is the best I guess java?

$action = "Quote me!";

}else{

}

There is no best to games code, try start using Unreal game engine, go through all different dynamics of that. Then proceed to the harder parts of code within it.

Gotta remember to not give up with it, pythons almost a waste of time. But its good to start on a baby language I guess. 

"When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity; when many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion." - Robert Pirsig 

You can make games with pretty much any language.

^^ True that.

I have been programming for about 4 years now and I have realised that it doesn't matter what language you are using. Its the libraries that define a language's usability in a particular field. For game development, most of the people are going to recommend C++ because of the awesome libraries made for it. Some of them are:

But that doesn't mean you can't use other programming languages. For example, Java has game libraries too. The ones which I have used are:

If you want to stick with python, you could use:

So it depends on you. You could switch to C++ or you could stick with python and go ahead.

Abhinav

^^ True that.

I have been programming for about 4 years now and I have realised that it doesn't matter what language you are using. Its the libraries that define a language's usability in a particular field. For game development, most of the people are going to recommend C++ because of the awesome libraries made for it. Some of them are:

But that doesn't mean you can't use other programming languages. For example, Java has game libraries too. The ones which I have used are:

If you want to stick with python, you could use:

So it depends on you. You could switch to C++ or you could stick with python and go ahead.

Abhinav

OMG my friend has the same name as you

System Specs - CPU: i7 4770K - RAM: 8GB(2x4GB) Vengeance Pro - Motherboard: Maximus VI Gene - Case: Modded PowerMac G5 - CPU Cooler: H100i - PSU: AX860i - SSD: Samsung 840 Series 120GB and Kingston V300 120GB - HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - Graphics Card: 2x GTX 780 - Case Fans: SP120s and Spectre 140s - Headphones: HD700, Alpha Dog, SE215

Sony A7R w/ Zeiss 55mm F1.8

what is unity 3d like?

$action = "Quote me!";

}else{

}

what is unity 3d like?

I haven't used unity but from what I have heard it's not a piece of cake but it's easier that other game engines. I would recommend using a 2D library first. That will give you a good understanding of how games actually work. Then you can go ahead with 3D.

One more thing. You can't make complex 3D models in unity 3d. Additional knowledge of programs like blender is needed to make those models.

OMG my friend has the same name as you

Finally!!! Someone knows my name :D

Abhinav

alright guys im learning python and i really want to make games in teh future, what languages do i need to learn.??

thanks 

~James

what is unity 3d like?

As it was being all said, you can code a game in pretty much everything .

Now if you want to be one day in a big studio e.t.c. you can get stuck (literrally :D) with c++, But many studios use unity or UDK engine

I would personally recommend learning Unity 3d , BTW folks, Unity 3d its just a name, you can create 2d , 2,5d games too :), even easier now with 4.0 (or 4.2 ? ) update.

Unity is pretty straight forward, its using javascript or c# (or boo or how its called).  In javascript the coding is really easy, although you need to have some knowledge, its good for learning, and you can create games wiith it that are pretty neat.

Its great because it offers multiplatform development for free , since now  basic version is free to use for small studios and indie devs (as myself).

The problem with UDK i had is, that their licensing is pretty far off.  I dont remember the numbers now. But basically i think you can publish your game, as far as you will not monetize it(even with Ads i think).

Therefore i realy forget about using udk.

So Unity 3d , best community on IRC and pretty much everything on thir community answers (something like stackoverflow, and it is really HUGE); (http://answers.unity3d.com/index.html)

and also you have assetstore where you can buy really anything, starting from free script and models, going forward with AI for 4$ :D, but of course there are expensive stuff too, but i found my self with buying (just because i wanted, not beacuse i needed it to code ) some assets worth around 100 € , and i can program pretty much anything , since i bought from levelbuilders, waypoints, some networking stuff , and you are good to go with every idea.

Of course there is no need to put there any money, at all. 

I coded this game in unitu in about 3 hours with everything for free (assets and most of scripts are mine, just database communication for storing highscores is from unity's wiki (another great thing)).

http://sirpaul.itch.io/asterion

Unity is really great.

Of course you can code in java also, and you can learn a lot, and transfer to another languages . You can run with java really various games, but as seen in real world scenarios sometimes the garbage collector buil-in java makes games in it really hard - performance wise.

I would not get stuck with unity if they did not announce that basic unity is free for indie guys.

but now, its the game development much easier (but dont mistake it for gamesFactory (another game creating thing, but i would get it to my  2 years old son :D )) and you can focus on much more important stuff (optimalization, safe networking, e.t.c. );

So thats my opinion :) hope you'll choose well :) and whoever says python is stupid, it is not. It can really sometimes help you with various things (and google glass SDK is available for python :))  depends on which way you settle.  

Cheers :)

Eve online is written in stackless python, so you could very well use your current language knowledge to write a game. Certainly the language isn't going to stop you from being able to program a game. Some languages do have better tooling in regards to 3D graphics but it can be done in pretty much most languages.

thanks 

~James

if i remeber correctly unity 3d uses c# programming which if you are going to learn any c language i would recomend c# first as from my experience anyway its easier to learn than c++ as its more forgiving. when you have learnt c# from what I have used of c++ it is a similar language just some slightly different syntax. unreal engine is a great engine to work in but i will warn you it likes to crash so make sure you save often if you use it.

if i have stated anything wrong in this status please pick me up on it people thanx :D

Eve online is written in stackless python, so you could very well use your current language knowledge to write a game. Certainly the language isn't going to stop you from being able to program a game. Some languages do have better tooling in regards to 3D graphics but it can be done in pretty much most languages.

The most performance critical areas of Eve are C/C++, it's also a kind of bad example because once things get to out of hand they actually slow down the game. I don't know if that's because it can't handle it or it's just something they thought was a good idea.

I'm pretty sure Cryengine requires C++ inorder to be used to its full while I'm sure that Unity needs Javascript, C# or some other langue which seems to not be that popular. You can mix and match any of those langues in Unity. (So you can have a javascript activating one thing while a C# script activating something else in the same level. At least that's based on my experence and I'm not a programmer I copy pasted/filled in the blanks of scripts I get from the interenet when I made school projects in Unity. Those were fun though:D)

I've chosen C# to start learning a bit, and using NeoAxis Engine (has a free license which IMO is better than Unity) to do so. Can recommend it for games that don't need background loading/ seamless world spaces (so no MMO or sandbox games)

I also really despise Unity, not really working with it, but the resulting games - the feel of gameplay and rendering in most Unity games is shit.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Following XNA tutorials and using MonoGame gives you a fun and powerful C# environment, Unfortunately Monogame still isn't 100% what XNA had but its got extras out of the box for rendering fun.

For those of you who don't know XNA was the framework for the 360 and its been discontinued by Microsoft but Monogame is making it opensource and available on pretty much every other

Most (if not all) high-budget, AAA games are developed (mainly) in C++. It's a very powerful language but learning it is quite difficult. 

Stick to Python for now.