Twitter Will Let Employees Work From Home Permanently

TempestCatto

Thanks to the current pandemic, most companies that continue to operate now do so out of most employees homes. Twitter is no exception here, and it wouldn't be surprising if more companies follow suit.

Some staffers, because of the nature of their work, will be required to come in to the office. But “if our employees are in a role and situation that enables them to work from home and they want to continue to do so forever, we will make that happen,” Twitter said in a statement. “If not, our offices will be their warm and welcoming selves, with some additional precautions, when we feel it’s safe to return.”

My mother is an outside sales rep for a global gas company. She honestly does have to travel and be on location. But the rest of her employees, that she's in charge of, could honestly do the same here.

“We were able to flip the switch very quickly and we saw no significant change in productivity as people started working from home every single day,” Dorsey told analysts. “So as we emerge out of the stay-at-home orders, I think it gives us a lot more optionality, gives our employees a lot more optionality.”

Not surprising that the transition went well for them. After all, the are indeed an online based tech company.

Think of how much money these people will save not having to commute daily. Lucky bastards.

Honey mustard: https://variety.com/2020/digital/news/twitter-work-from-home-forever-coronavirus-1234604586/?fbclid=IwAR1AIIeIqMNSsfv6lJC1NOVE2C5UFOZQHphbzqKJ9eEaOAV5KGAoZFTRvzI

This news post is brought to you by the LTT store. Check out the new line of merch, get hydrated, and stay cabled managed with LTTstore.com!

It's going to be interesting to see how many companies are going to do the same. It makes sense since they would be saving money for example by not having to have as big of a space for all of the employees, which would result in lower rent/lease costs for a smaller office and lower heating/cooling bill, etc. I remember before states started enacting a stay at home policy and companies were deciding whether to allow employees to work from home, some were saying that if employees worked from home it would result in lower productivity. What I am wondering is, if they are right and working from home does result in lower productivity, would the cost savings outweigh the decrease in productivity?

29 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

Think of how much money these people will save not having to commute daily. Lucky bastards.

I for one, get cabin fever real bad. I'm non-essential, yet still leave the house every day. I love driving, but I love getting out of the house even more. It at least makes me feel productive..

Work Rigs - 2015 15" MBP | 2019 15" MBP | 2021 16" M1 Max MBP | Lenovo ThinkPad T490 |

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X  |  MSI B550 Gaming Plus  |  64GB G.SKILL 3200 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference RX 6800  |  WD Black SN750 1TB NVMe  |  Corsair RM750  |  Corsair H115i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  Dell S2721DGF  |

Fun Rig - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X  |  MSI B550 Tomahawk  |  32GB G.SKILL 3600 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference 6800XT  | Creative Sound Blaster Z  |  WD Black SN850 500GB NVMe  |  WD Black SN750 2TB NVMe  |  WD Blue 1TB SATA SSD  |  Corsair RM850x  |  Corsair H100i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  LG 27GP850  |

58 minutes ago, The_russian said:

It's going to be interesting to see how many companies are going to do the same. It makes sense since they would be saving money for example by not having to have as big of a space for all of the employees, which would result in lower rent/lease costs for a smaller office and lower heating/cooling bill, etc. I remember before states started enacting a stay at home policy and companies were deciding whether to allow employees to work from home, some were saying that if employees worked from home it would result in lower productivity. What I am wondering is, if they are right and working from home does result in lower productivity, would the cost savings outweigh the decrease in productivity?

Most highly skilled workers have been found to actually do better work at home the majority of the time, sometimes thinking they have more to prove.  Those that do have a drop in productivity, for example due to crying babies or the like, tend to also make up for it in short order as well.  Lower end workers though, do have more of a tendency to slack off and just think they'll be fine since it can't be seen.  So it highly depends on the level of worker.

In tech companies, it is actually semi-common for positions that don't require constant direct interaction or secrecy/confidentiality, to pay for good internet service on top of a salary, if a person is working from home primarily and only coming into the office for some meetings or similar.

1 minute ago, justpoet said:

In tech companies, it is actually semi-common for positions that don't require constant direct interaction or secrecy/confidentiality, to pay for good internet service on top of a salary, if a person is working from home primarily and only coming into the office for some meetings or similar.

Interesting, time to email my boss about getting a gigabit connection to my house 😁

3 minutes ago, The_russian said:

Interesting, time to email my boss about getting a gigabit connection to my house 😁

Fiber to the home is awesome!  😄 

it would be cool to move to a small country village that is cheap and still be earning big city bucks. Actually that might cause wages to fall for future employees because remote workers will work for less. There is also the saying, if you can do your job from home then it can be done from a cheaper country.

i'm thinking my company will allow people to continue to work from home. i wouldn't work from home everyday, want to be able to get out of the house and see the people i work with. But would love to be able to say "i feel like working from home/the office tomorrow" and just do it.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

16 minutes ago, foldingNoob said:

it would be cool to move to a small country village that is cheap and still be earning big city bucks. Actually that might cause wages to fall for future employees because remote workers will work for less. There is also the saying, if you can do your job from home then it can be done from a cheaper country.

You mean outsourcing?

Man the number of times I've sent teleworkers back to their office to repair their credential files for VPN access or fixing simple AD account issues... 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

Remote work is probably the best thing to come out of the entire pandemic. UBI (if it happens) might be a close second.

I’ve become so lazy at with study idk if it’s a good idea. 

I knew that would be happening. Indeed, it's interesting to see how many companies will make remote work permanent.