Linux is uninstallable on Mac

Boot camp is specifically for windows and always has been.  Linux has always been dual boot.  There is no change here afaik.  There used to be a program called multibeast which was sort of a boot camp that included linux, so one could sort of use boot camp to do linux.  It wasn’t official, it was something some coders cooked up.  That was years ago though.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

the fact your using a macbook and got what he said wrong might mean linux is a little out of your technological range not being rude but being honest

38 minutes ago, xxmonte69xx said:

the fact your using a macbook and got what he said wrong might mean linux is a little out of your technological range not being rude but being honest

Not sure if that “your” was me or the OP.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

14 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Not sure if that “your” was me or the OP.

Think they were referring to OP, you said pretty much what the Apple Support person said. That Linux is unsupported for Bootcamp, but it's possible.   

Just to clarify for OP, Linux isn't blocked from running on Bootcamp, I used to run Ubuntu Server on an old 2011 iMac I had lying around.  It just isn't supported that means a couple of things: 

• The Linux drivers for your mac will not be available on the Apple website, however Mac OS is pretty close to Linux and many mainstream distros like Ubuntu and CentOS have open source drivers included that allow you to do most things. 
  • Apple has no obligation to provide any technical support or warranty for any issues that arise from you incorrectly installing Linux on bootcamp, or any issues with Linux itself and running it on your Mac. It's all on you. 

Bootcamp isn't even that big of a deal honestly, I installed Ubuntu on my old iMac without going through the Bootcamp process, you can just partition the space and install it like you would normally. I do recall something about some metadata or something for the UEFI or Bootloader or something being on the recovery partition of the drive, so make sure to leave it on.  Other than that you should be fine.  And can just reinstall Mac OS whenever you want. 

It would be the same with any PC, most PC manufacturers would probably refuse to support you with any software issues if you are using Linux.  Apple would probably void your warranty all together. 

My advice, if you're using a Mac.  Use it as a Mac.  Theres not much other reason to get a Mac over another system other than the software.  If you want to run Linux, which I'd recommend over Mac OS if you don't need any Mac proprietary software, then you can run it on any device pretty much. 

1 hour ago, Akolyte said:

Think they were referring to OP, you said pretty much what the Apple Support person said. That Linux is unsupported for Bootcamp, but it's possible.   

Just to clarify for OP, Linux isn't blocked from running on Bootcamp, I used to run Ubuntu Server on an old 2011 iMac I had lying around.  It just isn't supported that means a couple of things: 

• The Linux drivers for your mac will not be available on the Apple website, however Mac OS is pretty close to Linux and many mainstream distros like Ubuntu and CentOS have open source drivers included that allow you to do most things. 
  • Apple has no obligation to provide any technical support or warranty for any issues that arise from you incorrectly installing Linux on bootcamp, or any issues with Linux itself and running it on your Mac. It's all on you. 

Bootcamp isn't even that big of a deal honestly, I installed Ubuntu on my old iMac without going through the Bootcamp process, you can just partition the space and install it like you would normally. I do recall something about some metadata or something for the UEFI or Bootloader or something being on the recovery partition of the drive, so make sure to leave it on.  Other than that you should be fine.  And can just reinstall Mac OS whenever you want. 

It would be the same with any PC, most PC manufacturers would probably refuse to support you with any software issues if you are using Linux.  Apple would probably void your warranty all together. 

My advice, if you're using a Mac.  Use it as a Mac.  Theres not much other reason to get a Mac over another system other than the software.  If you want to run Linux, which I'd recommend over Mac OS if you don't need any Mac proprietary software, then you can run it on any device pretty much. 

There used to be Mac specific distros.  It was long ago though.  One was called “yellow dog”.  Probably no longer exists. 

if you have a T2 chip you cannot install to the internal drive iirc. 

if you don't have a T2 chip Linux will work totally fine. i've ran it on a bunch of Mac's before with no T2 chip and it ran just fine, no problems at all once i figured out what wifi driver to install. 

She/Her

1 hour ago, Ashley xD said:

if you have a T2 chip you cannot install to the internal drive iirc. 

if you don't have a T2 chip Linux will work totally fine. i've ran it on a bunch of Mac's before with no T2 chip and it ran just fine, no problems at all once i figured out what wifi driver to install. 

I am a pre-t2 linux on mac user