Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Linux is uninstallable on Mac

Boot camp is specifically for windows and always has been.  Linux has always been dual boot.  There is no change here afaik.  There used to be a program called multibeast which was sort of a boot camp that included linux, so one could sort of use boot camp to do linux.  It wasn’t official, it was something some coders cooked up.  That was years ago though.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

the fact your using a macbook and got what he said wrong might mean linux is a little out of your technological range not being rude but being honest

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, xxmonte69xx said:

the fact your using a macbook and got what he said wrong might mean linux is a little out of your technological range not being rude but being honest

Not sure if that “your” was me or the OP.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Not sure if that “your” was me or the OP.

Think they were referring to OP, you said pretty much what the Apple Support person said. That Linux is unsupported for Bootcamp, but it's possible.   

 

Just to clarify for OP, Linux isn't blocked from running on Bootcamp, I used to run Ubuntu Server on an old 2011 iMac I had lying around.  It just isn't supported that means a couple of things: 

  • The Linux drivers for your mac will not be available on the Apple website, however Mac OS is pretty close to Linux and many mainstream distros like Ubuntu and CentOS have open source drivers included that allow you to do most things. 
  • Apple has no obligation to provide any technical support or warranty for any issues that arise from you incorrectly installing Linux on bootcamp, or any issues with Linux itself and running it on your Mac. It's all on you. 

 

Bootcamp isn't even that big of a deal honestly, I installed Ubuntu on my old iMac without going through the Bootcamp process, you can just partition the space and install it like you would normally. I do recall something about some metadata or something for the UEFI or Bootloader or something being on the recovery partition of the drive, so make sure to leave it on.  Other than that you should be fine.  And can just reinstall Mac OS whenever you want. 

 

It would be the same with any PC, most PC manufacturers would probably refuse to support you with any software issues if you are using Linux.  Apple would probably void your warranty all together. 

 

My advice, if you're using a Mac.  Use it as a Mac.  Theres not much other reason to get a Mac over another system other than the software.  If you want to run Linux, which I'd recommend over Mac OS if you don't need any Mac proprietary software, then you can run it on any device pretty much. 

 __     __     __  __     ______     ______     ______      _____     ______        __     __     __  __     ______     ______     ______  
/\ \  _ \ \   /\ \_\ \   /\  __ \   /\  __ \   /\  == \    /\  __-.  /\  ___\      /\ \  _ \ \   /\ \_\ \   /\  __ \   /\  __ \   /\  == \ 
\ \ \/ ".\ \  \ \  __ \  \ \ \/\ \  \ \ \/\ \  \ \  _-/    \ \ \/\ \ \ \  __\      \ \ \/ ".\ \  \ \  __ \  \ \ \/\ \  \ \ \/\ \  \ \  _-/ 
 \ \__/".~\_\  \ \_\ \_\  \ \_____\  \ \_____\  \ \_\       \ \____-  \ \_____\     \ \__/".~\_\  \ \_\ \_\  \ \_____\  \ \_____\  \ \_\   
  \/_/   \/_/   \/_/\/_/   \/_____/   \/_____/   \/_/        \/____/   \/_____/      \/_/   \/_/   \/_/\/_/   \/_____/   \/_____/   \/_/   
                                                                                                                                          
      __   __   ___                    __           ___       __   ___           
|__| /  \ |__) |__     |    |  |  /\  /__`    |__| |__  |    |__) |__  |  | |    
|  | \__/ |    |___    |    |/\| /~~\ .__/    |  | |___ |___ |    |    \__/ |___ 
                                                                                 
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Akolyte said:

Think they were referring to OP, you said pretty much what the Apple Support person said. That Linux is unsupported for Bootcamp, but it's possible.   

 

Just to clarify for OP, Linux isn't blocked from running on Bootcamp, I used to run Ubuntu Server on an old 2011 iMac I had lying around.  It just isn't supported that means a couple of things: 

  • The Linux drivers for your mac will not be available on the Apple website, however Mac OS is pretty close to Linux and many mainstream distros like Ubuntu and CentOS have open source drivers included that allow you to do most things. 
  • Apple has no obligation to provide any technical support or warranty for any issues that arise from you incorrectly installing Linux on bootcamp, or any issues with Linux itself and running it on your Mac. It's all on you. 

 

Bootcamp isn't even that big of a deal honestly, I installed Ubuntu on my old iMac without going through the Bootcamp process, you can just partition the space and install it like you would normally. I do recall something about some metadata or something for the UEFI or Bootloader or something being on the recovery partition of the drive, so make sure to leave it on.  Other than that you should be fine.  And can just reinstall Mac OS whenever you want. 

 

It would be the same with any PC, most PC manufacturers would probably refuse to support you with any software issues if you are using Linux.  Apple would probably void your warranty all together. 

 

My advice, if you're using a Mac.  Use it as a Mac.  Theres not much other reason to get a Mac over another system other than the software.  If you want to run Linux, which I'd recommend over Mac OS if you don't need any Mac proprietary software, then you can run it on any device pretty much. 

There used to be Mac specific distros.  It was long ago though.  One was called “yellow dog”.  Probably no longer exists. 

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

if you have a T2 chip you cannot install to the internal drive iirc. 

if you don't have a T2 chip Linux will work totally fine. i've ran it on a bunch of Mac's before with no T2 chip and it ran just fine, no problems at all once i figured out what wifi driver to install. 

Resident Apple Sheep - She/Her

MacBook Pro 13" Early 2015 | i5 5257U | Intel Iris 6100 | 8gb Ram | 120gb SSD | macOS

PC | Dual Xeon X5650 | R9 290X | 32gb Ram | 500gb SSD | Supermicro X8DT3-LN4F | Manjaro Linux

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Ashley xD said:

if you have a T2 chip you cannot install to the internal drive iirc. 

if you don't have a T2 chip Linux will work totally fine. i've ran it on a bunch of Mac's before with no T2 chip and it ran just fine, no problems at all once i figured out what wifi driver to install. 

I am a pre-t2 linux on mac user

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×