PC Tuneup software in 2020?

KilgoreTrout

I want to keep my computer running fast without reinstalling Windows too often.. 

Using Malwarebytes Premium subscription and was using CCleaner but what is the best software to really keep my computer safe, fast and minimal distractions and hardware usage..

Z390 9900k DDR4

You basically hit the nail on the head already.

Look at background processes to see if anything is taking up too many resources?

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

i don't need software to "tune up" my pc... i just make sure i never install bloat. 

She/Her

2 minutes ago, KilgoreTrout said:

what is the best software to really keep my computer safe, fast and minimal distractions and hardware usage..

Common sense (I'm not joking)

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

18 minutes ago, Twilight said:

i don't need software to "tune up" my pc... i just make sure i never install bloat. 

If you are using Win10 home, it's too late 😉

22 minutes ago, KilgoreTrout said:

I want to keep my computer running fast without reinstalling Windows too often.. 

Using Malwarebytes Premium subscription and was using CCleaner but what is the best software to really keep my computer safe, fast and minimal distractions and hardware usage..

Z390 9900k DDR4

Turn off all the spyware in Win10, use the following program to help.

https://www.geckoandfly.com/25083/free-tools-disable-stop-windows-spying-tracking-you/

Use carefully, some of that stuff *wiill* break functionality (most notably, trying to fucking kill Cortana) but it does improve speed of Win10, especially on modest systems.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

You can try Windows 10 debloater. I have used it personally, but be careful and using custom black list is my recommendation. You can indeed remove bloat with this thing, but you need to be careful what you delete.

Link: https://github.com/Sycnex/Windows10Debloater

"Should a machine not function upon striking the panel marked "on" this is an omen of great ill. The reasons ascribed may be as follows. Firstly, the function of inadequate preparation on the part of the operator. Secondly, the action of the machine whose spirit may refuse the binding of the operator. Thirdly, the malintent of some third party upon the operator or machine. The operator must repeat the ritual from the beginning re-purifying himself, enscribing the runes, intoning the incantations, and striking the panel marked 'on'. An accompanying oath may be made. Should this procedure fail, the operator must recourse to consulting the instruction manual." -Runic Spaceflight - An Introduction: Naval Flight Manual W110E

The tuneup software are mainly snake oil. Installing only what you need, keeping eye of software and processes starting up on boot, and overall will do wonders. CCleaner is good for removing any temp files if you have small boot drive (laptops mainly). Malwarebytes is for malware as the name says, and does about same stuff any AV would do. Its good to have, not saying anything on it. But your own actions are key factor. I haven't used any software regularly in few years to clean PC and haven't noticed anything. But on the other hand I'm aware of my disk space and installed software. Like removing Chrome any time it gets installed by another software.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

You know what you are all right I guess I was hoping for an effective lazy solution.. 

Gonna tinker around but my last Windows 10 installation was getting years old but it was feeling so sluggish, I used to reinstall I swear like once a month cause I was crazy.

The computers I own are all meant to be performance machines.

2 hours ago, KilgoreTrout said:

(...) I used to reinstall I swear like once a month cause I was crazy.

Reason as good as any other. :)

But seriously - you have some tools that may help you to tune up your system. They do nothing more than set registry keys or scheduled tasks, but they may be helpful if you want to have access to all of them without searching internet.

OO ShutUp 10 have set of that keys with easy gui. Also someone yesterday or today starts topic about Defender configurator, which is basically another registry/settings/tasks changer that is easy to use.

Nothing wrong with experimenting as long as you use tools that have possibility to revert changes. And as long as you stop reinstalling system! What is the point of tune up your Windows if you destroy results every month?