Ram 2 sticks vs 4 sticks help

Hi guys,

Im going for 32 GB of Ram in my computer Team Group Kit 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 3000MHz Delta Black RGB CL16 (https://www.globaldata.pt/team-group-kit-16gb-2-x-8gb-ddr4-3000mhz-delta-preto-rgb-cl16-m67ag325g260) but they didn't have the 2 x 16 GB of ram Sticks avaible so I had to go with 4 vs 8 GB of Ram Sticks.

I have allways read that its worse to have 4 Sticks instead of 2, but my question how much bad is it? Like is there actually a big difference between the 2 Sticks vs 4 Sticks?

Btw I also have read that the 3200Mhz or + would be better and actually the 3200Mhz were +5 euros the thing is they weren't avaiable and I didn't want to spend more money on the pc so I went for the 3000Mhz ones and i don't think that the speeds difference from 3000 to 3200 or + (up to 3600) make a huge huge difference that you would pay more +70 euros but I can be complete wrong, I dont know very much about Ram :/

Thanks !!!

btw if you're asking whats the build, its this one:

CASE - ATX Phanteks Eclipse P400 Air Black, Tempered Glass, Mesh (Im adding +3 fans to have even more airflow)

CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 3600 

Motherboard - MSI X479 Gaming Plus 

RAM - Team Group Kit 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3000MHz Delta Black RGB CL16

GPU-  MSI RTX 2060 SUPER Gaming X 8GB GD6

HDD - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm 256MB SATA III

SSD - Crucial MX500 1TB M.2 3D

PSU - Semi Modular Corsair TX 650M 80+ Gold

3 minutes ago, JohndaKing said:

I have allways read that its worse to have 4 Sticks instead of 4, but my question how much bad is it? Like is there actually a big difference between the 2 Sticks vs 4 Sticks?

Your platform only supports two channels of memory, so you won't be losing any bandwidth by going with two modules instead four.

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

Short answer:
You're good and there is nothing to worry about.

Long answer:

Having only two sticks of RAM instead of four is better for compatibility and stability. That doesn't mean tho, that it won't work with four sticks.

When it comes to speed, it is true that higher frequencies are generally better for Ryzen processors, but I have also seen that lower frequency RAM outperforms higher frequency RAM and so at the end it doesn't really matter for day to day use. You might miss out on 5 FPS here or there, but no one can really tell for sure.

1 minute ago, r2724r16 said:

Your platform only supports two channels of memory, so you won't be losing any bandwidth by going with two modules instead four.

Sry I meant to say i there is a problem going for the 4 sticks of 8Gb instead of 2 sticks of 32 Gb. I dont know if that awnsers it aswell

4 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

Short answer:
You're good and there is nothing to worry about.

Long answer:

Having only two sticks of RAM instead of four is better for compatibility and stability. That doesn't mean tho, that it won't work with four sticks.

When it comes to speed, it is true that higher frequencies are generally better for Ryzen processors, but I have also seen that lower frequency RAM outperforms higher frequency RAM and so at the end it doesn't really matter for day to day use. You might miss out on 5 FPS here or there, but no one can really tell for sure.

Yea I guess the only additional problem is if I want to change 1 stick I have to change all of them, but im thinking on keeping this build for the next 5 years or so, so its okay.

Yea exactly what i thought Im probably losing 5 fps its okay, Thanks!!

1 minute ago, JohndaKing said:

Sry I meant to say i there is a problem going for the 4 sticks of 8Gb instead of 2 sticks of 32 Gb. I dont know if that awnsers it aswell

I think you meant to say 2 sticks of 16 GB.

No, there's no problem. But it's better to go with the 2x16 GB kit so you can easily upgrade in the future if needed.

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

The number of sticks is NOT the driver of stability (or lack thereof), but it is the number of rank on a channel. One dual rank module per channel is essentially the same load as two single rank modules per channel. 8GB modules are currently single rank. Very old ones (from 2015 or so) might be dual rank. 16GB+ modules are probably dual rank.

3 minutes ago, JohndaKing said:

I don't know if 32GB modules might go beyond dual rank, but certainly 4x8GB is no worse in terms of loading.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

1 minute ago, r2724r16 said:

I think you meant to say 2 sticks of 16 GB.

No, there's no problem. But it's better to go with the 2x16 GB kit so you can easily upgrade in the future if needed.

Yes I meant to say that ahah my bad.

Yea but since Im going to keep the build for the next 5 years or so, its okay, by the time it will need a upgrade i'll just change them all.

Thanks!

2 minutes ago, porina said:

The number of sticks is NOT the driver of stability (or lack thereof), but it is the number of rank on a channel. One dual rank module per channel is essentially the same load as two single rank modules per channel. 8GB modules are currently single rank. Very old ones (from 2015 or so) might be dual rank. 16GB+ modules are probably dual rank.

I don't know if 32GB modules might go beyond dual rank, but certainly 4x8GB is no worse in terms of loading.

Ok! thanks!

4 minutes ago, porina said:

I just bought a AsRock X570 Phantom Gaming 4, which comes with a little piece of paper that says that non-XMP memory support is limited more with 4 sticks of RAM than it is with 2 sticks of RAM. They of course also list differences for SR and DR RAM.