I got carpal tunnel from gaming...;[ (story and questions)

Itachi_Uchiha

Hi recently I got carpal tunnel syndrome. Apparently it has several causes, those are; Misplacement of hand on keyboard, over extending wrist, and muscle strain from typing/gaming. I have done all of this wow xD. My hand started twitching after one looong try hard gaming session for 10 hours last night. To be honest, Carpal Tunnel sucks. It makes ur hand and forearm have terrible pain and every couple seconds ur fingers spas out like crazy (for me its my left hand only).

Now im buying rest pads for my keyboard and gonna try to break the habit of poping my wrist (overextending my wrist forwards and backwards until it pops). and the worst part THe break from gaming. 

ik this is a random post just wanted to share this on this website.(I love this website)

TLDR any suggestions or exercises that will ease the pain or maybe share your experience with carpal tunnel syndrome if you've had it. Thanks!

Please help me out and donate to my go fund me to help get parts for a gaming pc. Any amount is useful. Thanks! (dm for link)

Have you actually gotten yourself diagnosed with an RSI or are you self diagnosing?

Is its actually diagnosed CTS or did you just have a sore arm and wrist and assume it's CTS? 

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

ive had ct. ended up surgery on both wrists. 1 year recovery... 2 to 3 weeks of full wrap (only barely can use fingers). 4 to 12 weeks braces (wrists are weak as hell) rest of years time strengthening back up your wrists.....but will say this, was a year of annoyance but afterward is complete relief. but wrist strength will not be as strong as before.

just a fyi in case they recommend it. which they usually do

6 hours ago, circeseye said:

ive had ct. ended up surgery on both wrists. 1 year recovery... 2 to 3 weeks of full wrap (only barely can use fingers). 4 to 12 weeks braces (wrists are weak as hell) rest of years time strengthening back up your wrists.....but will say this, was a year of annoyance but afterward is complete relief. but wrist strength will not be as strong as before.

just a fyi in case they recommend it. which they usually do

Thanks for letting me know man

Please help me out and donate to my go fund me to help get parts for a gaming pc. Any amount is useful. Thanks! (dm for link)

I just got back from the doctor for the same thing (carpal tunnel) so let me also ask if you've seen a doctor about it or if you're self-diagnosing

Like others have mentioned, you should get diagnosed by a doctor first if you're actually worried about it. You're probably just dealing with a little bit of strain right now, unless it's something that occurs often, regularly, and has been getting gradually worse.

I'm studying design and my hands and forearm can get a little bit tight after holding a pencil for 6 hours straight and it's very much like what you're describing. Usually it relaxes and the pain subsides after some forearm and hand stretches and a day or two of rest. One good stretch is to put your arm straight out in front of you with your finger tips pointed toward the ceiling, and with your other hand, softly pull the tips of your fingers back towards your arm. Rubbing the forearm and hand helps a lot too. But above all, just rest your hand for a day and a night.

I think we will start to see an increase in these disorders over time. Gaming has become quite common. Like anything has its extremes - 10 hours is not healthy at all. I wonder if this applies to office work as well. 

This is a solution I rarely see people use;

I have my keyboard at a slight angle 8~18 degrees, it helps and it doesn't affect functionality, I only do this when playing games because only my left hand is on the keyboard. This is the most helpful imo, I have it slightly angled to the right (not crazy like those chinese csgo players).

I recommend making yourself level and not straining your wrists and look into ergonomic peripherals

I'm self diagnosing right now. Can't see docter cause of covid. I get mild pains for hours every day and it hurts to pick up stuff very heavy with my left hand. 

dont game for 10 hours!!! Go outside and get some proper exercise. My first stop would be a physiotherapist not a doctor.

I have arthritis in my fingers (actually I think it's everywhere but only diagnosed in fingers),  I think from the sounds of it I would rather have CT.  That can be fixed with surgery.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I have a mechanical keyboard (reds) where my fingers and joints would ache after awhile. For about 13 bucks, I picked up the Rosewill O-Ring kit (part# RO-100T). It's a kit that help you pop off each key cap to install a little rubber o-ring to dampen the impact on keystroke. So far, it's been a big help! In fact, I can't recall the last time I had a joint ache since installing them. As always, YMMV.

23 hours ago, Itachi_Uchiha said:

I'm self diagnosing right now. Can't see docter cause of covid. I get mild pains for hours every day and it hurts to pick up stuff very heavy with my left hand. 

Cool it and rest your arms on something soft instead of the table.

And see a Doctor. Selfdiagnosing...Jesus.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

On 5/8/2020 at 12:55 PM, RorzNZ said:

I think we will start to see an increase in these disorders over time. Gaming has become quite common. Like anything has its extremes - 10 hours is not healthy at all. I wonder if this applies to office work as well. 

For sure we will see an increase, the problem isn’t gaming in particular, but like you said, prolonged unhealthy gaming sessions.

you can get ct from playing guitar, sewing, typing, hell I used to tear apart boxes for hours after big shipments, and got diagnosed with mild carpel tunnel, had to wear a wrist brace and take some anti inflamatory.

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

42 minutes ago, scuff gang said:

For sure we will see an increase, the problem isn’t gaming in particular, but like you said, prolonged unhealthy gaming sessions.

you can get ct from playing guitar, sewing, typing, hell I used to tear apart boxes for hours after big shipments, and got diagnosed with mild carpel tunnel, had to wear a wrist brace and take some anti inflamatory.

Gaming isn’t the problem, I agree, but there are some games with an addictive nature, that make you want to play more - which I guess is the goal of most marketable commodities. This in particular is a concern and we are seeing a rise in gaming-related health problems as a result. 

But as you say carpal tunnel and other gradual health conditions can result of both gaming and other activities - especially desk jobs.