Desk mic that won't pick up mechanical keyboard?

SacredChili

I tried using the blue snowflake on my desk but it picks up my mech keyboard waayyy to much and my skype friends always complain. Is there a mic that wont do this? Also I have dt 880's if anyone would want to reccomend a good mod mic to. I would only use the mic for VOIP/skype uses.

Unless you get like a clip on mic or a mic that's behind your keyboard, they'll still hear it.

CPU: Intel core i5 3570 Motherboard: Gigabyte-H77-DS3H Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB  GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7950 Twin Frozr III Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB  PSU: Seasonic G Series 550W

Acer Aspire S7 Overview Sennheiser PC360

I tried using the blue snowflake on my desk but it picks up my mech keyboard waayyy to much and my skype friends always complain. Is there a mic that wont do this? Also I have dt 880's if anyone would want to reccomend a good mod mic to. I would only use the mic for VOIP/skype uses.

http://www.amazon.com/Zalman-Zm-Mic1-Sensitivity-Headphone-Microphone/dp/B00029MTMQ

|CPU: Intel 5960X|MOBO:Rampage V Extreme|GPU:EVGA 980Ti SC 2 - Way SLI|RAM:G-Skill 32GB|CASE:900D|PSU:CorsairAX1200i|DISPLAY :Dell U2412M X3|SSD Intel 750 400GB, 2X Samsung 850 Pro|

Peripherals : | MOUSE : Logitech G602 | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) | NAS: Synology DS1515+  - WD RED 3TB X 5|ROUTER: AC68U

Sound : | HEADPHONES: Sennheiser HD800 SPEAKERS: B&W CM9 (Front floorstanding) ,  B&W CM Center 2 (Centre) | AV RECEIVER : Denon 3806 | MY X99 BUILD LOG!

well a desk microphone will always pick it up, just get something closer to your mouth, like a clip on mic, that solves the issue(but I personally hate this option, so i tell my friends to QQ)

CPU: Intel Core i7 2600k | Mootherboard: ASUS P8z68v-Pro | GPU: EVGA GTX780Ti 3GB | RAM: Kingston HyperX Genesis 8GB (4GBx2) 1600mhz | PSU: Corsair AX760 | STORAGE: Samsung 840 Pro 512GB | COOLER: Noctua NH-C14 | CASE: Fractal Design Define R4 Pearl Black | Operating SystemWindows 7 Professional 64-bit |

You could get a shock mount or a holder for your microphone to hold it closer to your mouth.

You could get a shock mount or a holder for your microphone to hold it closer to your mouth.

ehhh, i really dont want all that. I like to keep it simple. Probably gonna take Noble's advice and try something like that. From what i've seen it looks cheap and effective.

I believe dynamic microphones wont pick up as much noise as condensers but they wont sound as great.

You're better off putting o-rings on your keys to dull the sound if you want to run a desk mic. That said if you have MX Blues like me, pretty good chance it will still pick up the clack of the keys

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770k | Mobo: MSI Mpower Max | Cooling: Cryorig R1 Ultimate w/ XT140 front Fan | GPU: EVGA GTX 770 Dual SC SLI | Case: NZXT H440 | Case Fans: Phanteks PH-140SP x5 | PSU: EVGA Supernova P2 1000W | RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer | SSD: Kingston HyperX 3k 120GB | HDD: Seagate Barracude

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 | Mouse: Razer Deathadder 2013 | Headphones: Sennheiser HD438s | Mousepad: Razer Goliathus Control | Monitor 1: Benq XL2430T | Monitor 2: BenQ RL2455HM 

You're better off putting o-rings on your keys to dull the sound if you want to run a desk mic. That said if you have MX Blues like me, pretty good chance it will still pick up the clack of the keys

This still doesn't solve the problem. o-rings only prevent the bottom out noise from smacking your keycaps down.

Enjoy those tacos now, for in 1000 years they will be illegal... eh Ha Ha Ha! I think we all know why.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Give tacos ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Poker 2 KB Review

Isn't that where most of the noise on Red/Black/Brown switches comes from, the key bottoming out? I mean, I know the blues make the click sound (I'm using an MX Blue right now), but do the others make noise apart from when they bottom out?

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770k | Mobo: MSI Mpower Max | Cooling: Cryorig R1 Ultimate w/ XT140 front Fan | GPU: EVGA GTX 770 Dual SC SLI | Case: NZXT H440 | Case Fans: Phanteks PH-140SP x5 | PSU: EVGA Supernova P2 1000W | RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer | SSD: Kingston HyperX 3k 120GB | HDD: Seagate Barracude

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 | Mouse: Razer Deathadder 2013 | Headphones: Sennheiser HD438s | Mousepad: Razer Goliathus Control | Monitor 1: Benq XL2430T | Monitor 2: BenQ RL2455HM 

Isn't that where most of the noise on Red/Black/Brown switches comes from, the key bottoming out? I mean, I know the blues make the click sound (I'm using an MX Blue right now), but do the others make noise apart from when they bottom out?

Unless they're like squeaking, like the spacebar on my 7G, they shouldn't make any sound if you're easy on the keys and don't bottom them out. 

Reviews: JBL J33i   M50s   SRH440   Soundmagic PL50           

Unless they're like squeaking, like the spacebar on my 7G, they shouldn't make any sound if you're easy on the keys and don't bottom them out. 

Your actual finger hitting the key and the movement of the stem is pretty noisy.

Your actual finger hitting the key and the movement of the stem is pretty noisy.

If you smack your keys, sure, but if you just want to, you can be pretty damn quiet, if you don't have blues or greens or whatever other tactile, clicky switches there are. 

Reviews: JBL J33i   M50s   SRH440   Soundmagic PL50           

Yeah, the clack clack is from bottomming out 90% of the time. Clicks of the switch is minor in comparison.

@SacredChili

My little brother has his mic behind his keyboard, and even with rubber domes it is noticeably loud. I had a tripod with my last mic setup, no one complained.

Air 540, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 4770K, SLI EVGA 980Ti, 16GB Vengeance Pro 2133, HX1050, H105840 EVO 500, 850 Pro 512, WD Black 1TB, HyperX 3K 120, SMSNG u28e590d, K70 Blues, M65 RGB.          Son's PC: A10 7850k, MSI A88X gaming, MSI gaming R9 270X, Air 240, H55, 8GB Vengeance pro 2400, CX430, Asus VG278HE, K60 Reds, M65 RGB                                                                                       Daughter's PC: i5-4430, MSI z87 gaming AC, GTX970 gaming 4G, pink air 240, fury 1866 8gb, CX600, SMSNG un55HU8550, CMstorm greens, Deathadder 2013

Actually gaming with a housemate who has a desk mic, I commented on the crunch his keys were making, and that was a rubber dome

• 2 weeks later...

Dynamic mic with a (true) hyper-cardioid pattern

-At2020

-Samson SP01 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000LQLDM2/ref=s9_simh_gw_p267_d0_i3?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0DBSATYP800DK956PRY1&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1688200382&pf_rd_i=507846 (Might get this not sure if I need it.)

- Stand http://www.amazon.com/Stage-DS7200B-Adjustable-Microphone-Stand/dp/B0002M3OVI/ref=sr_1_1?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1394921298&sr=1-1&keywords=at2020+stand (Might get a diff one but this is the concept.)

The setup will most likely be placed behind my keyboard to the side of my desk, it will not be put right up to my mouth.

Scrap the stand and shock mount - get a stand whose vase goes on the floor, and has a boom arm. This way, you can get the Mic closer to your mouth and raise the noise gate high in whatever program you're using.

If you're using Skype, just, don't.

Ok so I don't wannt a boom stand, I really don't want something that big and dont want to do broadcasting or anything.. I just want a nice mic that wont pickup my mx browns. I hate using PTT also, its annoying and sucks while gaming. I have a blue snowflake but it is really bad, sound quality and noise pickup. I was looking at the at2020 and kind of a mini stand but im not sure if that will pick up the noise that much, Thanks for the help.