H100 Fans - Corsair SP Thoughts

[TABLE=class: message-display]

[TR=class: message m_nohighlight open]

[TD=class: subject]

Hello Everyone,

Picked up a Corsair H100 for my system at quite a steal ($40 U.S. from Amazon Warehouse Deals). In any event, I was looking at fans for the cooler, and I was wondering how the SP120's (either High performance or quiet edition) are compared to the stock fans. I currently have a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo air cooler installed as well as several Cooler Master Fans in my HAF 932 but even with voltage step down connectors, they are the most annoying fans sound wise. I am looking for something that is quiet and still provides excellent performance and cooling. As the title suggests, I have been looking into the SP120's especially with the attractive price per fan (twin packs) as opposed to the Noctua NF-F12.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Chris

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

7900X, Asus X670-E ROG Strix , 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000, 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB NVME, Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME,  EVGA RTX3080TI FTW3

EVGA Supernova P2 1000 PSU w/ CableMod, Asus Xonar DSX, Lian Li Galahad 360, Hyte Y60, Corsair K70, EVGA Torq X10, (1) Alienware AW3418DW Ultrawide, (1) Acer Predator XB271HU 1440P, Logitech G535

The SP120 are a great fan, being optimised for static pressure enables them to be used best against a radiator, thus great for all in one systems like the H100. The newer version ( H100i) comes pre packed with SP120 - esque fans, so that should give you an indication how well these fans perform. Also have a look at NOCTUA NF P12, these too perform very well.

Without knowing, how are the HP SP120's as opposed to the Quiet Edition. Obviously the CFM is cut in half due to the slower rotation, but I assume the HP are rather quiet as well.

7900X, Asus X670-E ROG Strix , 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000, 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB NVME, Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME,  EVGA RTX3080TI FTW3

EVGA Supernova P2 1000 PSU w/ CableMod, Asus Xonar DSX, Lian Li Galahad 360, Hyte Y60, Corsair K70, EVGA Torq X10, (1) Alienware AW3418DW Ultrawide, (1) Acer Predator XB271HU 1440P, Logitech G535

if you go for silent operation, consider the Corsair Fans arent the best undervolting Fans. Id personally go with Scythe Gentle Typhoons. (1150rpm for siltent or 1850rpm for performance)

I have an H100 using the stock fans plugged into the pump housing; with a 3 pin connection to my mobo CPU header and I can't control the fan RPM. So unless the SP120s have the PWM lane (4pin) to plug directly into your CPU header (to enable you to control the fan speed), you're not going to be able to dictate the RPM easily. I would go with the Noctua NF-F12s as they are PWM and can connect to your CPU header via a 'Y' 4 pin splitter or, if you have an optional CPU header on your mobo, you can plug into this, giving you full control over the RPM using a something like FanXpert2. I'm waiting for an RMA on my H100 at the moment and will be fitting the NF-F12s once I get it all sorted.

EDIT: I'm aware of Corsair Link to control the fan speeds, but from recent accounts, it isn't running all that smoothly currently. I'm sure this will be fixed soon. Another point to make; using PWM is better for the longevity of your fans as opposed to voltage regulating/pulsing to alter the RPM.

I most likely wouldn't undervolt the Corsair fans. Due to the fact that there is a high performance edition vs. the quiet edition, I am looking for pure performance from either fan set. Maybe I will just go with the Performance edition. They can't be any louder than my Cooler Master fans.

Corsair SP fans honestly aren't the best option for a radiator environment. They have a round as opposed to square design so a lot of air just gets pushed right backwards off of the radiator instead of going through it. Also like others have said they apparently don't undervolt well. For other options look at Silverstone Air Penetrators, BeQuiet Silent Wings 2, or Scythe Gentle Typhoons.

Also, I know you said you don't want to spend this kind of money but NF-F12's are another great option. That would have been my first recommendation had you not said you didn't want to pay that much. The other fans I listed are a bit pricey as well but they're all very good fans.

Workstation: 3930k @ 4.3GHz under an H100 - 4x8GB ram - infiniband HCA  - xonar essence stx - gtx 680 - sabretooth x79 - corsair C70 Server: i7 3770k (don't ask) - lsi-9260-4i used as an HBA - 6x3TB WD red (raidz2) - crucia m4's (60gb (ZIL, L2ARC), 120gb (OS)) - 4X8GB ram - infiniband HCA - define mini  Goodies: Røde podcaster w/ boom & shock mount - 3x1080p ips panels (NEC monitors for life) - k90 - g9x - sp2500's - HD598's - kvm switch

ZFS tutorial

SP120 Quiet editions are a lot more silent than the stock fans, but they also make your CPU run a little bit hotter by a couple of degrees(I don't know exactly). If your willing to sacrifice a couple of degrees for silence, then go for it.

Source:

I have SP120 Performance Ed. fans undervolted to 7v with the included connectors. These are quieter then the SP120 Quiet Ed. at full speed and have a bit better static pressure. Just don't use them on fan controllers. The motors on mine whined something aweful, but with thr 7v resistor are nice and happy...

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

I got my Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO on push/pull with 2 SP120 Quiet Ed. and at 4.5ghz (1.25v) my 3570k under P95 load will top at 70-75c throughout the cores.

Id say thats excellent and as much hate as SP120 get for leaking, id say its a good investment considering its price.

If you want you can go for the p12's from noctua tho ;)

Look into some Noctua NF-F12's. :)

Noctua NF-F12 are really good for rads. They also undervolt without any problems if they are still loud for you.

Try to find a good deal on them if you can. You will not be disappointed!

I was using the stock fans on my H100 then moved to the performance SP120s. The SP120s are quieter on startup and with my 3770k at idol, the temps were around 5'C lower and at 100% load my CPU was 8'C lower using the SP120s rather the the stock fans. I only use them in pull configuration on the radiator and my 3770k at full load @4.4GHz on Prime95 doesn't go over 72'C.

12600k | MSI MEG S280 | SSUPD Meshilicious | Asus ROG STRIX Z690-I | Crucial 16GB 4800MHz CL38 | MSI Gaming 980Ti | CM V850 SFX | WD SN850 1TB, WD SN550 1TB 
Pi 4TB NAS | Asus VG27AQ, Asus PB278Q | Logitech G Pro X Superlight | Glorious G-HXL-STEALTH | Keychron K4 V2 | Sennheiser HD 599 w/ Fiio E10