I want to buy a new gpu, but my setup is from 2012

vaskotheory

Hi, i want to buy a new gpu for my setup which is really old.Its a HP prebuild.

Specs

i5 2400

ram 6gb(2+4) ddr3

amd 7750 

psu 450watt

ssd 500gb (recently i bought)

I ll buy a new pc in like 2-3 months , when 10gen comes out .

But i have the money to buy a decent gpu.

I saw linus new video and he used a 1660ti on an old pc like mine and i was thinking maybe i can get decent perfomance on games with a better gpu.

Multiplayer games is what i live for . csgo /valorant/ fortnite/pathofexile/apexlegends

I want to buy either one of these cards.

https://www.gigabyte.com/gr/Graphics-Card/GV-N166TOC-6GD/sp#sp

https://www.gigabyte.com/gr/Graphics-Card/GV-N166SOC-6GD/sp#sp

I play all games on low graphics and 144hz .(currenty i play all games on 1024x768 or 1280x720)

Thanks for whoever responds.

I feel like your CPU will hold you back if you decide to upgrade your GPU

A girl who loves to love.

you might consider waiting on the gpu until your ready for the build. prices will probably go down the closer it gets to next gen gpu's.

Yeah I agree on the other 2 but out of the grafis card you said get the cheapest on of the 2 there pretty much the same thing the ti had more cores but the super has a higher memory clock

6 minutes ago, vaskotheory said:

10th gen is kind of a joke, doesn't seem like it'll even be any faster than 9th gen aside from clock speeds.

Just grab an R5 3600 + B450 MSI MAX Board + 16GBs 3200mhz or 3600mhz CL16 RAM

for the GPU an RX 470-580 8GB should be $100 or less and is fine for 1080p gaming.

your i5 2400 is probably more like a 45fps CPU at this point for AAA games.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

I wouldn't consider a GTX 1660Ti, rather a GTX 1660S. But your CPU will currently be a bottleneck. 

"Tolerance is the lube that helps the dildo of dysfunction slip into the ass of a civilized society" - Plato 427-347 BC

"Tolerance and apathy are the last virtues of a dying society" - Aristotle 384-322 BC

"Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment" - Lebiniz 1st of July 1646 - 14th of November 1716

18 minutes ago, vaskotheory said:

Specs

i5 2400

ram 6gb(2+4) ddr3

amd 7750 

psu 450watt

ssd 500gb (recently i bought)

I ll buy a new pc in like 2-3 months , when 10gen comes out .

But i have the money to buy a decent gpu.

I saw linus new video and he used a 1660ti on an old pc like mine and i was thinking maybe i can get decent perfomance on games with a better gpu.

Multiplayer games is what i live for . csgo /valorant/ fortnite/pathofexile/apexlegends

I want to buy either one of these cards.

https://www.gigabyte.com/gr/Graphics-Card/GV-N166TOC-6GD/sp#sp

https://www.gigabyte.com/gr/Graphics-Card/GV-N166SOC-6GD/sp#sp

I play all games on low graphics and 144hz .(currenty i play all games on 1024x768 or 1280x720)

Thanks for whoever responds.

cpu and ram will bottleneck any card you get.

10th gen seems like a joke. 9th gen is really the top for gaming right now.

if you max out any one part the other parts will hold it all back

get something like a r5 3600 and a rx580 and get 16 gb ddr4 ram.

stuff is cool. stuff that has fancy lighting is cooler. stuff that has fancy lighting and works is the coolest.

i game so i know a bit abt gaming tech, not much abt professional tech.

writing this as i finish a 3 hour D2 sesh so excuse anything wrong.

You will see a massive improvement in games coming from a 7750, I had issues years ago with my GCN1 R9 280. I can't imagine how terrible the drivers are nowadays and how terribly games will run on a 1gb card. GTA V barely even worked on my HD5870 and required an SSD just so it could load in and out textures. Between having a 1gb card and 6gb of memory, I can't even imagine the actual bottlenecking going on from the system waiting around to shuffle your memory.

Ignore the people telling you it's not worth it boo hoo bottlenecks, upgrading to a 1660 Super or similar is going to at the very least double your frame rates in newer games if not triple them. If your current build can power whatever cards you've been looking at, I wouldn't wait to buy it at all as you're always going to see a performance increase when upgrading to a card that's multiple times more powerful, period.

6gb isn't enough memory nowadays though, 8gb still really isn't enough but it's generally considered the minimum. I'd highly suggest picking up a used 16gb kit of ddr3 for $40~ locally if you can but 8gb dimms are generally fairly expensive. I've lucked out and picked up some low profile kingston for $11 each but expect ebay used prices to be about the same as new is...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4GB-DDR3-PC3-12800U-KINGSTON-KHX1600C9D3K6-24GX/184280580535

Those should work, I personally would buy only one and mix it with what you have but two is acceptable as well.

I run a 10 year old 6c/12t Xeon X5675 with a GTX 1080 at 1440p144 and am generally bottlenecked by the GTX 1080 in brand new games. Yeah sure 4c/4t can be a problem, and sure a i5-2400 can't be overclocked which is what sandy/ivy bridge was amazing for but it definitely isn't anywhere near as much of a problem as a HD7750.

As other have said, the CPU will most likely be bottleneck, BUT if you want, playing at higher resolution will be the ultimate equalizer, will take load off CPU. Then the performance will be much more balanced.

But I agree with first Aimi, I would wait to build a whole new platform if I were you.

BRRRT!

PC

Spoiler
  • ASUS TUF GAMING B550M Plus
  • Ryzen 5 5600X undervolted
  • Gigabyte VISION OC RTX 3070 undervolted
  • 32GB Teamgroup Dark Alpha 3600 MHz CL18
  • Corsair TX750M
  • Fractal Design Meshify C Mini

Sim Equipment

Spoiler
  • Logitech Extreme 3D Pro & Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle