A Question to My Fellow 3rd Gen Ryzen Users...

Go to solution Solved by Just Monika,
10 hours ago, BOOM BOX said:

Just to make sure we're on the same page, dual rank memory @ 3200 MHz means dick all to 3rd gen Ryzen. That's what I'm gathering from your reply.

Yes, 3200 MHz is the maximum memory speed that is guaranteed to work with 3rd gen Ryzen. At that speed you're still running at stock specs.

What is concerning is that your 2600X can't run the stick at 2933 MHz, since you said it can't run at anything higher than 2133 MHz. Assuming your voltage was correctly set to XMP specs, it's possible your stick is bad because 2933 MHz is the 2600X's stock spec and it should work. While I've understand that 1st and 2nd gen Ryzen's memory controllers weren't great, but they should at least work at their stock speed of 2933.

So for context I use to use a R5 2600X that used Corsair Vengeance LPX 1 x 16 GB @ 3200 MHz (under clocked to 2133 MHz or something like that) and I could never get the RAM to clock any higher without running into POSTing issues because it was dual rank.

With that little bit of context my question is this and this is especially for those who like myself got a R9 3950X. If I were to in theory get a set of dual rank memory would I run into any issues trying to get XMP to work or manually "OC" the RAM (i.e. taking dual rank memory from factory clock of 2133 and putting it at 3200 using XMP and not having a single issue)?

Any input would be super useful. I personally know what I want to do I just want to know if dual rank memory is worth it for 3rd gen. Thank you in advance.

2000 series ryzen doesn't have the best memory controller. I can't get the ram on my 2600x to run higher than 2933. Ryzen 3000 series solved that and 3600 ram should work.

Ryzen 3rd gen's default memory spec is 3200 MHz so you should have absolutely no problems running your RAM at that speed, unless your CPU happens to be defective. 3600 is possible with what seems to be 90% of users.

I'm one of the unlucky 10% and my 3900X absolutely refuses to be 100% stable with an FCLK of 1800 MHz and my RAM refuses to stay stable at 3600 MHz. I knocked it down to 1766MHz FCLK/3533 MHz RAM and it was extremely cooperative when tightening timings, strangely. Point is, even my failed lottery landed me just one "step" below running 3600 MHz RAM so you're very likely good to go.

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S | MB: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite | RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V 32GB 3600MHz | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra | Case: Fractal Design Define R6 Blackout | SSD1: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | SSD2: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB | HDD1: Seagate Barracuda 2TB | HDD2: Seagate Barracuda 4TB | Monitors: Dell S2716DG + Asus MX259H  | Keyboard: Ducky Shine 5 (Cherry MX Brown) | PSU: Corsair RMx 850W

37 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

2000 series ryzen doesn't have the best memory controller. I can't get the ram on my 2600x to run higher than 2933. Ryzen 3000 series solved that and 3600 ram should work.

I actually didn't know the mem controllers weren't the greatest. That would explain a lot about why I was having so many issues. Didn't quite answer my question but I do appreciate that little tid bit.

17 minutes ago, Just Monika said:

Ryzen 3rd gen's default memory spec is 3200 MHz so you should have absolutely no problems running your RAM at that speed, unless your CPU happens to be defective. 3600 is possible with what seems to be 90% of users.

I'm one of the unlucky 10% and my 3900X absolutely refuses to be 100% stable with an FCLK of 1800 MHz and my RAM refuses to stay stable at 3600 MHz. I knocked it down to 1766MHz FCLK/3533 MHz RAM and it was extremely cooperative when tightening timings, strangely. Point is, even my failed lottery landed me just one "step" below running 3600 MHz RAM so you're very likely good to go.

So allow me to clarify the question a little bit more and I wish had the booklet that my 2600X came with so I could just show you guys. So on the 2000 series there was a difference in how high you could go with your RAMs clock rates depending on whether it was single rank (memory chips on one side of the RAM PCB) or dual rank (memory chips on both sides of the RAM PCB. The question that I'm trying to answer is this: "Does the performance difference between single rank memeory and dual rank memory still exist on Ryzen 3rd gen?"

I apologize if my original question was confusing and hopefully rephrasing the question more directly pin points the answer.

55 minutes ago, BOOM BOX said:

Sorry I easily confuse myself with rank vs channel. I don't have first-hand experience but over a few months of reading other people's OC experiences, dual vs. single rank only became relevant when OCing to the RAM IC's absolute limits (single rank was easier to reach max OCs). But if I'm reading correctly (I did re-read a few times) you are concerned about being able to reach XMP speeds not absolute limits. In that case, single vs dual rank should not matter as far as I know because running 3200 MHz RAM doesn't involve OCing the memory controller in the case of 3rd gen Ryzen.

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S | MB: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite | RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V 32GB 3600MHz | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra | Case: Fractal Design Define R6 Blackout | SSD1: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | SSD2: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB | HDD1: Seagate Barracuda 2TB | HDD2: Seagate Barracuda 4TB | Monitors: Dell S2716DG + Asus MX259H  | Keyboard: Ducky Shine 5 (Cherry MX Brown) | PSU: Corsair RMx 850W

1 hour ago, Just Monika said:

Sorry I easily confuse myself with rank vs channel. I don't have first-hand experience but over a few months of reading other people's OC experiences, dual vs. single rank only became relevant when OCing to the RAM IC's absolute limits (single rank was easier to reach max OCs). But if I'm reading correctly (I did re-read a few times) you are concerned about being able to reach XMP speeds not absolute limits. In that case, single vs dual rank should not matter as far as I know because running 3200 MHz RAM doesn't involve OCing the memory controller in the case of 3rd gen Ryzen.

Just to make sure we're on the same page, dual rank memory @ 3200 MHz means dick all to 3rd gen Ryzen. That's what I'm gathering from your reply.

4 hours ago, BOOM BOX said:

I actually didn't know the mem controllers weren't the greatest. That would explain a lot about why I was having so many issues. Didn't quite answer my question but I do appreciate that little tid bit.

So allow me to clarify the question a little bit more and I wish had the booklet that my 2600X came with so I could just show you guys. So on the 2000 series there was a difference in how high you could go with your RAMs clock rates depending on whether it was single rank (memory chips on one side of the RAM PCB) or dual rank (memory chips on both sides of the RAM PCB. The question that I'm trying to answer is this: "Does the performance difference between single rank memeory and dual rank memory still exist on Ryzen 3rd gen?"

I apologize if my original question was confusing and hopefully rephrasing the question more directly pin points the answer.

I think single rank and dual rank has nothing to do with how many 'sides' the RAM chips utilised the PCB. There is 1x16 RAM which has 16 chips of RAM and using both sides of the PCB, but it is a single rank RAM.

However, I think memory supports are limited by the motherboard rather than CPU. AMD only listed the recommended memory support, but thanks to their infinity fabric, they are consider quite versatile and can easily fit any RAM speed that are above than their recommendation.

According to QVL (Qualified Vendor List) X470 Taichi Ultimate does support a Dual Rank RAM up to 3200MHz, but they can only support 2 sticks of the said RAM and only certain RAM model*:

https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/X470 Taichi Ultimate/index.asp#MemoryPR

When you comes to Gigabyte, according to their Aorus X470 Gaming 7 specs, they can support Single Rank RAM up to 3600MHz and Dual Rank RAM up to 3333MHz for Pinnacle Ridge CPU, according to their QVL list.

https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Memory/mb_memory_x470-aorus-gaming-7-wifi-50_pinnacle_190618.pdf

You can see that both motherboard (the X470 ones) have different memory speed that they can support, even though they share the same chipsets. This is because of the tracing of their PCB which limit the speed. A good trace can handle higher speed with less interference.

So, what motherboard are you using? If you are able to find your motherboard manual, or go to their website to check their QVL, it can help you figure your motherboard capability.

*According to the motherboard specification, they can support up to 2933MHz Dual Rank RAM (for Pinnacle Ridge CPU).

https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/X470 Taichi Ultimate/index.asp#Specification

I have ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_spectrum

I apologies if my comments or post offends you in any way, or if my rage got a little too far. I'll try my best to make my post as non-offensive as much as possible.

10 hours ago, BOOM BOX said:

Yes, 3200 MHz is the maximum memory speed that is guaranteed to work with 3rd gen Ryzen. At that speed you're still running at stock specs.

What is concerning is that your 2600X can't run the stick at 2933 MHz, since you said it can't run at anything higher than 2133 MHz. Assuming your voltage was correctly set to XMP specs, it's possible your stick is bad because 2933 MHz is the 2600X's stock spec and it should work. While I've understand that 1st and 2nd gen Ryzen's memory controllers weren't great, but they should at least work at their stock speed of 2933.

6 hours ago, Just Monika said:

Thank you! Now, if you'll excuse me I have to go chuck more money at the deep dark void that is my PC.

kill me (2).PNG