[Solved] external usb 3.0 hdd vs internal hdd?

Go to solution Solved by Electronics Wizardy,
2 minutes ago, abcdefghivjklmnop said:

Will the 3.5 inch hdd last less than the internal one since its connected via usb 3.0 whilst still being in a safe place?

usb won't make it last any shorter

Will the 3.5 inch hdd work as an external hard to other pc's and be read and used?

Yea you can plug it into other systems

Will the 3.5 inch hdd be slower than the internal hdd if both will be probs 5400 rpm/ 7200rpm for the 3.5 inch (if im lucky lol).

The external hdd should be faster as 3.5 hdds are normally faster, and usb won't be limiting here.

Hi there once again im asking for your help lol, I have a laptop which supports m.2 and a hdd, im running only a ssd for now (240gb) and only have 130 left and I recently found out my laptop does support usb 3.0 but only on 2 ports. 

My plan:

Get a 2.5 inch hdd 1tb Or a 3.5 inch 3tb hdd with a dock for it + power and connect it to the laptop via a usb 3.0 port.

My questions are:

Will the 3.5 inch hdd be slower than the internal hdd if both will be probs 5400 rpm/ 7200rpm for the 3.5 inch (if im lucky lol).

Will the 3.5 inch hdd last less than the internal one since its connected via usb 3.0 whilst still being in a safe place?
Will the 3.5 inch hdd work as an external hard to other pc's and be read and used?

Thankyou for reading and hopefully you guys can help me out. 

The external hdd should be faster as 3.5 hdds are normally faster, and usb won't be limiting here.

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

Oh okay thanks. btw will even usb 2.0 hurt the performance compared to an internal 2.5 inch hdd?

Just now, abcdefghivjklmnop said:

Oh okay thanks. btw will even usb 2.0 hurt the performance compared to an internal 2.5 inch hdd?

yea usb 2 will be pretty slow, a good amount slower than a hdd.

Buying an external hard drive will give you a lower quality HDD, the one that's a bare drive being of higher quality.

If you plan to use it constantly, then buy the bare drive.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

1 minute ago, dizmo said:

Buying an external hard drive will give you a lower quality HDD, the one that's a bare drive being of higher quality.

bare drive you mean the ones without the casing? 

1 minute ago, dizmo said:

any evidence to support that? Many external hdds are filled with desktop grade drives inside them, like the barracuda ones.

I just used a hard drive dock. Then I can buy any HDD or SSD and pop it in and out at will.

19 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

any evidence to support that? Many external hdds are filled with desktop grade drives inside them, like the barracuda ones.

Many external drives contain 3.5" drives, just like the bare drives you buy for your desktop. /r/DataHoarder has a plethora of posts from data storage enthusiasts about different means of archiving data, some of which go over a process known as "shucking" where one buys & extracts the 3.5" HDD from an external USB drive to use in a server. However, the particular drives inside can be of lower quality, depending on what the manufacturer has decided to put inside.

You can read more about different types of drives that manufacturers have been rather shady about disclosing at the link below.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2020/04/caveat-emptor-smr-disks-are-being-submarined-into-unexpected-channels/

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | REDACTED - 50GB US + CAN Data for $34/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

May I humor you with a Samsung QVO 1 TB SSD. It is 2,5" and can read/write 500+ MB/s.

28 minutes ago, abcdefghivjklmnop said:

Yes, SSD are quite faster.

29 minutes ago, abcdefghivjklmnop said:

Depends on use case, how much you read and write and what kind of hdd you compare it to.

30 minutes ago, abcdefghivjklmnop said:

Sure. It should be able to work as an internal too if you remove it from the cabinet. (least in most cases)

7 minutes ago, Aree Soothsayer said:

I just used a hard drive dock. Then I can buy any HDD or SSD and pop it in and out at will.

Thats what im literally gonna do lol 

7 hours ago, abcdefghivjklmnop said:

bare drive you mean the ones without the casing? 

Yes.

7 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Not that I can provide. If you really want, you can look through the Seagate rep's posts. He's the one that mentioned it.

He said even though they're branded Barracuda, they're not the same quality drives that you'll get when you buy one through a retail chain.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red