How to plug in Phanteks P400S LED Strip To Case?.

Just now, Dibowac4178N said:

you have to plug it in to your motherboard. otherwise it wont work

QUOTE ME  FOR ANSWER.

Main PC:

Spoiler

|Ryzen 7 3700x, OC to 4.2ghz @1.3V, 67C, or 4.4ghz @1.456V, 87C || Asus strix 5700 XT, +50 core, +50 memory, +50 power (not a great overclocker) || Asus Strix b550-A || G.skill trident Z Neo rgb 32gb 3600mhz cl16-19-19-19-39, oc to 3733mhz with the same timings || Cooler Master ml360 RGB AIO || Phanteks P500A Digital || Thermaltake ToughPower grand RGB750w 80+gold || Samsung 850 250gb and Adata SX 6000 Lite 500gb || Toshiba 5400rpm 1tb || Asus Rog Theta 7.1 || Asus Rog claymore || Asus Gladius 2 origin gaming mouse || Monitor 1 Asus 1080p 144hz || Monitor 2 AOC 1080p 75hz || 

Test Rig.

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 3400G || Gigabyte b450 S2H || Hyper X fury 2x4gb 2666mhz cl 16 ||Stock cooler || Antec NX100 || Silverstone essential 400w || Transgend SSD 220s 480gb ||

Just Sold

Spoiler

| i3 9100F || Msi Gaming X gtx 1050 TI || MSI Z390 A-Pro || Kingston 1x16gb 2400mhz cl17 || Stock cooler || Kolink Horizon RGB || Corsair CV 550w || Pny CS900 120gb ||

Tier lists for building a PC.

Motherboard tier list. Tier A for overclocking 5950x. Tier B for overclocking 5900x, Tier C for overclocking 5800X. Tier D for overclocking 5600X. Tier F for 4/6 core Cpus at stock. Tier E avoid.

(Also case airflow matter or if you are using Downcraft air cooler)

Spoiler

Gpu tier list. Rtx 3000 and RX 6000 not included since not so many reviews. Tier S for Water cooling. Tier A and B for overcloking. Tier C stock and Tier D avoid.

( You can overclock Tier C just fine, but it can get very loud, that is why it is not recommended for overclocking, same with tier D)

Spoiler

Psu tier List. Tier A for Rtx 3000, Vega and RX 6000. Tier B For anything else. Tier C cheap/IGPU. Tier D and E avoid.

(RTX 3000/ RX 6000 Might run just fine with higher wattage tier B unit, Rtx 3070 runs fine with tier B units)

Spoiler

Cpu cooler tier list. Tier 1&2 for power hungry Cpus with Overclock. Tier 3&4 for overclocking Ryzen 3,5,7 or lower power Intel Cpus. Tier 5 for overclocking low end Cpus or 4/6 core Ryzen. Tier 6&7 for stock. Tier 8&9 Ryzen stock cooler performance. Do not waste your money!

Spoiler

Storage tier List. Tier A for Moving files/  OS. Tier B for OS/Games. Tier C for games. Tier D budget Pcs. Tier E if on sale not the worst but not good.

(With a grain of salt, I use tier C for OS myself)

Spoiler

Case Tier List. Work In Progress. Most Phanteks airflow series cases already done!

Ask me anything :)

Errr let me think.. :P

There is a cable.... in your case it has a label that says something like "only for use with Phanteks led strip". Look for it, let me know if you cant find it so I'll take a look inside mine but it should be in the front somewhere.

I have experience with the strange lighting setup in my Phanteks Enthoo Luxe case. It says that it is Aura Sync compatible, which is only half true. The 4-pin connector lines up, and the LEDs work, but the colors are out of sync because Phanteks does not have the RGB lines in the same order as ASUS. I have to do a little bit of modification (like seriously very little, see photos below) to get it to work, but it does.

Point is, if the reason you don't want to connect it to the motherboard is that the lights don't work properly, post photos and I or someone else should be able to set you straight. Also, if it is another problem, still post photos, and I'll see if I can help you anyway.

20170914_215843.jpg

20170914_220021.jpg

20170914_225943.jpg

Engineer, electronics enthusiast, maker. My devices/tech:

Spoiler

Desktop (Main): i7-7700k/EVGA FTW3 RTX 3090/32" Curved QLED monitor

Desktop (HTPC): Ryzen 3-3200G/RX 580

Handheld: ASUS ROG Ally Z1 Extreme

Laptop: ASUS ROG Strix G15 Advantage

VR: Quest 2

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra

Dev Boards: TI MSP430/Arduino Uno/Raspberry Pi 4/esp32

Sound: Sony WH-1000XM4, HyperX Quadcast

Camera: Sony a6300 w/ 18-135mm kit lens

2 hours ago, aDoomGuy said:

Errr let me think.. :P

There is a cable.... in your case it has a label that says something like "only for use with Phanteks led strip". Look for it, let me know if you cant find it so I'll take a look inside mine but it should be in the front somewhere.

Yeah I have the cable, but I don't know which end of the led strip It should be connected. I tried the long end and short end of the cable but I end up with a loose end, and when I don't end up with a loose end, It still won't light up.

[02-05-2020_00_00.]

Edit: I'll be adding pictures so you guys can see what I mean. [02-05_2020_00_01.]

7 hours ago, Dibowac4178N said:

Yeah I have the cable, but I don't know which end of the led strip It should be connected. I tried the long end and short end of the cable but I end up with a loose end, and when I don't end up with a loose end, It still won't light up.

[02-05-2020_00_00.]

Edit: I'll be adding pictures so you guys can see what I mean. [02-05_2020_00_01.]

The LED strip is daisy chainable is it not? Did you connect the SATA power connector? If you do not connect the SATA power then it will not light up.

18 hours ago, SavageNeo said:

you have to plug it in to your motherboard. otherwise it wont work

No, I have a P400S, the LED lights on Phantek cases aren't standards, the plug will fit but they moved the RGB around so synching won't work.

@Dibowac4178N

I'll try to get pictures of my connections when I get home

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

21 hours ago, Dibowac4178N said:

[02-05-2020_00_00.]

Alright, so typically, this is how the wiring is set up:

-You have a Molex or SATA power connector from your power supply that connects to its female counterpart coming from the Phanteks lighting controller. Pretty sure Phanteks use the SATA power connector.

-You have the lighting controller for the case lighting (if you purchased one, or your light strips or case came with one you will have one). Mine is mounted on the same board as the power led and power button, in the first front panel expansion bay. The lighting controller will have typically 1-4 ports for connecting lighting strips and the like (mine has 2, see the white blocks in the first photo below). This where you plug in any Phanteks compatible lighting components (and I'll get to why I say Phanteks compatible in a moment).

-Now, you have more than one way to configure your lighting setup. You can use it without the motherboard connectors and no software control which limits you to the colors and patterns available from your lighting controller. This also means that any strips you use MUST BE MADE TO WORK WITH THE CONTROLLER or use the same standard, even if it is not specifically validated to work together. To do this, you must also plug in the SATA/Molex connector mentioned earlier. In order for the lights to all work, they must be daisy chained. Start with connecting JUST ONE strip and see if it works. If it does, add another. They should connect only one way as each strip should have a male connector at one end, and a female at the other. It shouldn't matter what you connector first as nearly all lighting components will have both connectors. Just make sure you plan your layout so you can fit the LEDs where you want in the case.

-OR, the DIY way, which will allow you to skip the manufacturer forcing you to buy their lighting strips, and allow you to use the motherboard's RGB connectors (in most cases). This is what I have done. For this method, DO NOT PLUG IN THE LIGHTING CONTROLLER POWER (SATA/MOLEX) AND DO NOT PLUG THE STRIPS INTO THE CONTROLLER. We won't be using the controller, just daisy chaining the lights and using the power and data that the motherboard provides. Any other components on the lighting controller board (like mine also had USB ports on the same board) will get their own power elsewhere. There are several RGB lighting standards out there, but I am sure Phanteks uses the one as follows: 4pins: a)12V power b)Red channel c)Blue channel d)Green channel. The order of your channels may vary. The first thing you'll need to do is check your motherboard's manual to make sure that you have a compatible connector onboard. If your Phanteks lighting controller has the 12 V, R,G,B connections, then you'll want to find out if your motherboard has a 4pin RGB header with 12V, and it needs to be NOT THE ADDRESSABLE RGB HEADER. That is for a completely different type of strip.

Next, take a look at the way the connectors are built on your lighting strips. With the power off on your power supply, verify that they insert correctly into the proper port on the motherboard. If they do, GREAT! If not, do the non-DIY method.

In order to ensure the colors on your case lighting match with your STRIX motherboard (or any other lighting you run from the mobo), you will need to swap the wires. Don't worry, though! This doesn't require soldering or anything.

First, which wire is 12V based on the writing on your lighting controller? It will probably be the right- or left-most one. Make a mark on the wire (not the connector) with permanent marker or something similar to indicate the 12V power wire. YOU MUST DO THIS.

Again, with the power supply off, you plug the connector into the motherboard. Does the 12V wire line up with the 12V connection on the motherboard? 12V should be written on the board or in the manual, make sure you are not looking at the connector reversed/turned around. You do NOT want to mistakenly send 12V into the wrong wire. If it matches, GREAT!

Now you just have to match the RGB Channel wires, and if you get them wrong, no damage will occur, your colors will just be out of sync. If the 12V wire doesn't match, you need to follow the next step for both it and the RGB Channels.

If you examine the male connectors on your LED strips (the ones that fit the motherboard connections), you'll notice that using a knife or precision screwdriver, you can CAREFULLY lift the plastic tabs on the connector and pull each wire out of the connector. Pay attention to the orientation of the wire, as it is important to reinsert them properly into the connector when you are done. You will either have to do trial and error to match the RGB Channels, or figure it out based on the motherboard writing/diagram in the manual and the writing on the lighting controller. Again, BE CAREFUL TO MATCH THE 12V WIRE CORRECTLY.

I'm more than happy to send more photos and assistance if you need it!

20170914_215843.jpg

20200502_154157.jpg

Spoiler

On 5/1/2020 at 1:19 PM, Nimoy007 said:

I have experience with the strange lighting setup in my Phanteks Enthoo Luxe case. It says that it is Aura Sync compatible, which is only half true. The 4-pin connector lines up, and the LEDs work, but the colors are out of sync because Phanteks does not have the RGB lines in the same order as ASUS. I have to do a little bit of modification (like seriously very little, see photos below) to get it to work, but it does.

Point is, if the reason you don't want to connect it to the motherboard is that the lights don't work properly, post photos and I or someone else should be able to set you straight. Also, if it is another problem, still post photos, and I'll see if I can help you anyway.

Do you have the original Phanteks Ennthoo Luxe?

I have a Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Tempered Glass Edition, and I have no problems hooking up the bult-in case RGB lights to my motherboard.

Both on my ASUS X99 Deluxe II via the 4-pin RGB header, and now on my Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master.

You need to buy the RGB adapter though; you cannot directly hook it up to the 4-pin RGB header out-of-the-box.

http://www.phanteks.com/PH-CB_RGB4P.html

15884620557945046229108934171925.jpg

@Dibowac4178N If you just want to power the LED strip without hooking it up to the motherboard, you nee to power it with a SATA cable.

You use the buttons at the top/front of the case to change the color, etc.

This video might help.

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

Not sure you properly read my posts here, @-rascal-, because you'll notice that I just gave OP an entire novel on how to connect the RGB. Yes, I do have the original Luxe, but I managed to do it without the adapter. You definitely don't HAVE to have it. As long as you're willing to do a little DIY, it's easy. Now, the build I've done is overkill with the lighting, and I'm definitely not suggesting everybody go out and do what I've done, but this is the lighting setup I've got:

EPILEPSY WARNING: THE FOLLOWING VIDEO CONTAINS SEQUENCES OF BRIGHT, RAPID VISUALS. PLEASE VIEW WITH CAUTION.

Spoiler

On 5/1/2020 at 6:00 PM, Dibowac4178N said:

[02-05-2020_00_00.]

@Dibowac4178NHas any of this helped? I don't want to hijack your thread, here! Lol

Spoiler

On 5/4/2020 at 3:31 AM, Nimoy007 said:

@Dibowac4178NHas any of this helped? I don't want to hijack your thread, here! Lol

I am gonna look Into It and check and see If It will help, also any help is like welcome so no worries about "hijacking" lol.

[05-05-0220_16_32.]

Also how do I connect the front panel cable?. [16_54.]

Edited by Dibowac4178N
I want to add more to my comment.

On 5/5/2020 at 10:32 AM, Dibowac4178N said:

Also how do I connect the front panel cable?

Sorry for the delayed reply!

I'm assuming you're talking about the Power button, Reset, HDD activity LED, etc when you say front panel. If you were talking about the lighting, disregard this post and let me know what part exactly you mean.

The front panel connectors are usually in the lower right-hand corner of your motherboard. Check the manual for the layout of the connections if it isn't written directly on the motherboard. If you have the individual connectors for HDD activity, Pwr button, etc, note that the polarity of buttons shouldn't matter, so as long as you connect them to 2 pins labelled for the right button you should be fine. LEDs are different, but if you plug them in the wrong direction, you can always unplug and put them in the right way without damage.

Spoiler

On 5/12/2020 at 5:44 PM, Nimoy007 said:

Sorry for the delayed reply!

I'm assuming you're talking about the Power button, Reset, HDD activity LED, etc when you say front panel. If you were talking about the lighting, disregard this post and let me know what part exactly you mean.

The front panel connectors are usually in the lower right-hand corner of your motherboard. Check the manual for the layout of the connections if it isn't written directly on the motherboard. If you have the individual connectors for HDD activity, Pwr button, etc, note that the polarity of buttons shouldn't matter, so as long as you connect them to 2 pins labelled for the right button you should be fine. LEDs are different, but if you plug them in the wrong direction, you can always unplug and put them in the right way without damage.

Oh I meant the front panel of the case, the front panel of the P400S Case has this short build in RGB Strip on the front. 

I should've been clearer on that as front panel can mean multiple things although I thought you knew what I meant, but now you do. :D

[14-05-2020_19-46.]

Edit: I figured out how to plug It In with the Phanteks Adapter. [14-05-2020-22_10.]

Edited by Dibowac4178N
I figured out how to plug in the RGB Adapter on the front panel of my Case, well one way atleast.

On 5/14/2020 at 1:46 PM, Dibowac4178N said:

I figured out how to plug It In with the Phanteks Adapter.

Oh, sweet! Hope everything is solved, then!

Spoiler