Powering RAM

If you constantly supply RAM a voltage with a battery and use a diode for one way power then if you remove power to the PC and give it power again will the PC be as you left it

Please tag me @Windows9 so I can see your reply

Do you mean, will the data be intact or something like that? Memory is more complex than just a simple voltage. When your systems goes into standby, the data is not only kept available but also the board and cpu still on, in a reduced capacity. If you loose that aspect, the stored information will no longer be viable.

RAM has a refresh cycle where data is read and rewritten to keep it "in memory", so simply keeping it powered probably isn't enough. Easier option: Just use "Hibernate", which is built into Windows and writes the RAM contents to disk so that the PC can be powered off.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

SRAM just needs power, but computers use DRAM which loses its contents in less than a 10th of a second. The RAM controller needs to constantly refresh the RAM (read contents and write them back) for it to hold its data. So no, won't work.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Well to be clear you can make it work, put your PC in standby mode and it'll do exactly that and anything else that's needed to be able to resume :P 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

2 hours ago, Eigenvektor said:

RAM has a refresh cycle where data is read and rewritten to keep it "in memory", so simply keeping it powered probably isn't enough. Easier option: Just use "Hibernate", which is built into Windows and writes the RAM contents to disk so that the PC can be powered off.

Just saying theoretically, not actually going to do it

Please tag me @Windows9 so I can see your reply