Did I goof up by getting this case instead of a Mid-tower one?

VincentVolaju

So I started buying my parts recently for my build, a Ryzen 5 3600 with a B450M Mortar Max M-ATX board. I was going to go with a normal standard mid tower case, but I thought having a micro-ATX board in a mid case would look a little weird. So I searched for M-ATX cases and found this one.

https://www.amazon.com/Antec-VSK10-Window-Functional-Micro-ATX/dp/B07T8LJGRT/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Antec+vsk10+window&qid=1587698071&sr=8-1

It looked good enough, was only $50 where I live, and figured I'd go with that. So I bought it through a local shop and am waiting for it to be delivered. The page I bought it from only had a few photos, and none of them were the color coded ones like the link I just sent. In the link I just sent you can see the size that different components take up in the case. The big red square for example, is the size of a M-ATX board. The problem I just noticed now from seeing that photo, is the fact that when you put a M-ATX board in that case, it covers up the holes used for routing cables through the back. As soon as I noticed that, I went to the website to cancel the order, but unfortunately, they don't cancel any orders once made; so basically, I'm stuck with this case now.

I imagine building in this case will be a pain, especially with the 5 fans I planned to put in. On top of that, I am guessing the cable management is going to look horrible because it seems like everything is going to have to come through the 1 hole on the far right side of the case?

What would you guys do in this situation? Keep buying the rest of the parts and try to do the build in this case anyway? Or just take -$50 loss and buy a different case?

4 minutes ago, foldingNoob said:

mATX will not cover up the holes for routing.

Really? In this photo though it looks like the 3 holes that are normally used for routing cables from front to back are covered up by the board, no?

matx.jpg

The hole you could be use instead, is the one in between the two SSD mounts. Plenty of clearance for 24 pin, 8 pin, 6 pin, etc.

And really, worst case, you can always just punch a hole in the PSU shroud to allow a cable or two to go through it.

Edit : It really depends on the board you get, @foldingNoob found a picture with an mATX board that lets you use those routing holes. Here's another mATX board that doesn't allow you to use those holes.
H98gCIA.png

But we can see there's plenty of clearance for everything regardless.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

1 minute ago, VincentVolaju said:

Really? In this photo though it looks like the 3 holes that are normally used for routing cables from front to back are covered up by the board, no?

https://imgur.com/BXC0SSc

depends on your motherboard, but you still have another hole for your power cable, and that is all you need for that side of the board. It's nothing to worry about.

Hey there. I took a look at the Antec VSK10. I agree that cable management will be a little difficult, but I think it's still possible to have clean cable management, especially if you plan your building process right. I see a few gaps where cable routing might be possible:

605947762_AVSK10-CableHoles.png.a15018e3cd0c62fff0b8c6dc39b7376a.png

The tiny slots just above the motherboard are above the standoff screw holes (isn't obstructed by the motherboard) and should be accessible for connecting cables towards the motherboard (CPU power, fan cables, etc.). The hole right above the PSU may or may not be accessible, I'm not sure how much clearance you have once you install your PSU there.

Tip: If the PSU shroud is removable, I'd recommend connecting the power cables to the motherboard first, before connecting them to the PSU.

Personal Opinion: If you're looking for alternatives, the Cooler Master Q300L is a good M-ATX case. It's mesh/perforated front panel lets plenty of fresh air into the case, it's got magnetic front and top panel dust filters for easy removal and cleaning, and offers more flexible cable management options. Currently available for $44.03 on Amazon (sold and shipped by Amazon).

Edit: I'm pretty certain that the B450M MORTAR MAX M-ATX motherboard will obstruct some cable routing holes. The width of the board aligns with the right-most standoff screw spot, which suggests the board will overlap over some routing holes. See spoilers for an example of an actual M-ATX board in the Antec VSK10, and a rough, scaled edit of a MORTAR MAX inside the Antek VSK10.

Spoiler

707261627_AVSK10-M-ATX.png.6b21d4910b13d9fa2f8698e2c206fc10.png

Note that the three vertical holes in the middle of the case and the one horizontal hole just to the right of the PCIe slots are completely obscured by the M-ATX motherboard.

951173331_AVSK10-StandoffHoles.png.e1785d2cc41fd0f04a1b0b461e11ca41.png2054327285_MORTARMAX-StandoffHoles.png.df4150f2f84b7506c04a3d3b8ac8d7d8.png

Right: Antec VSK10. Left: MSI B450M MORTAR MAX.

Standoff screw holes highlighted in orange.

1537119012_AVSK10-MORTARMAX.png.23bc1dcd3a59ba651811b85cb1db85d8.png

B450 MORTAR MAX within the Antec VSK10. Note the aligned standoff screw holes, and the obscured cable routing holes.

正直に生きる、一度きりの人生だから

Keeb Weeb LinksCustom Mechanical Keyboards | #KeebWeebClub

'Chew Builds: Hoshī (PC) | Okashī (PC) | K-4398 (Keeb) | Eighty #391 (Keeb) | R2-968 (Keeb) | MGK64 (Keeb)

Thanks for all the advice guys! I think since I can't return it, I'm just going to try and build in it anyway.

I'm not sure which cables will need to be routed from where. I know that the big 24min mobo cable, and the 8pin/6pin cable for the GPU need to come from that right side with the covered holes. But as someone else mentioned, I can use the big hole between the 2 SSD spots. If that's all I need for the right side of the board, then that should be fine, assuming I can fit cables through the top and bottoms of the case, although, I feel like those might be covered too. I guess I'll have to see.

What are the other main parts that need to get plugged into the mobo? I think there is a 6pin one for CPU? So that might have to come through the hole on the right as well.

For my fans I am using (https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/gp/product/B07GZHTZ62/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

They don't seem to plug into the mobo, but rather a hub, and that hub gets plugged into the PSU. So I should be able to stick the hub somewhere on the back of the case out of the way.

41 minutes ago, VincentVolaju said:

I know that the big 24min mobo cable, and the 8pin/6pin cable for the GPU need to come from that right side with the covered holes. But as someone else mentioned, I can use the big hole between the 2 SSD spots.

What are the other main parts that need to get plugged into the mobo? I think there is a 6pin one for CPU? So that might have to come through the hole on the right as well.

The below is just a suggestion, you're free to route your cables any which way you like, of course.

2117803883_AVSK10-LabelledHoles.png.97b162b7b2e0a320320a5ab3a9537c26.png357082467_MORTARMAX-LabelledHeaders.png.fffc398ff5a9a25e66d2c21912337d99.png

Left: Antec VSK10. Right: B450M MORTAR MAX.

• 24-Pin (or 20+4-Pin or 20-Pin) ATX Main Power Cable (Motherboard Power): Through Hole 1 to ATX_PWR1.
  • 8-Pin EPS Power Cable (CPU Power): Through Hole 2 to CPU_PWR1.
  • 8-Pin (or 6+2-Pin) PCIe Power Cable (Graphics Card Power): Through Hole 1 (or 6) to Graphics Card.
  • SATA Power Cable (HDD/SATA SSD Power): Through Hole 1 to SATA1, SATA2, SATA3, or SATA4.
  • Case Front Panel Header Cables (Power LED, HDD LED, Reset, Etc.): Through Hole 7 (or 6) to JFP1.
  • Case Front Panel Audio Cable: Through Hole 7 (or 6) to JAUD1.
  • Case Front Panel USB Cables: Through Hole 7 (or 6) to JUSB1 (USB 2.0), JUSB2 (USB 2.0), and/or JUSB3 (USB 3.0).
  • CPU Cooler Power Cable: No routing, plug to CPU_FAN1.
  • Rear Case Fan: Into Holes 2, 3, or 4 to PSU Hub.
  • Top Case Fans: Into Holes 2, 3, 4, or 5 to PSU Hub.
  • Front Case Fans: Into Hole 5 to PSU Hub.

SourceMSI B450 MORTAR MAX Manual by MSI.

正直に生きる、一度きりの人生だから

Keeb Weeb LinksCustom Mechanical Keyboards | #KeebWeebClub

'Chew Builds: Hoshī (PC) | Okashī (PC) | K-4398 (Keeb) | Eighty #391 (Keeb) | R2-968 (Keeb) | MGK64 (Keeb)

3 minutes ago, Eschew said:

The below is just a suggestion, you're free to route your cables any which way you like, of course.

2117803883_AVSK10-LabelledHoles.png.97b162b7b2e0a320320a5ab3a9537c26.png357082467_MORTARMAX-LabelledHeaders.png.fffc398ff5a9a25e66d2c21912337d99.png

Left: Antec VSK10. Right: B450M MORTAR MAX.

• 24-Pin (or 20+4-Pin or 20-Pin) ATX Main Power Cable (Motherboard Power): Through Hole 1 to ATX_PWR1.
  • 8-Pin EPS Power Cable (CPU Power): Through Hole 2 to CPU_PWR1.
  • 8-Pin (or 6+2-Pin) PCIe Power Cable (Graphics Card Power): Through Hole 1 (or 6) to Graphics Card.
  • SATA Power Cable (HDD/SATA SSD Power): Through Hole 1 to SATA1, SATA2, SATA3, or SATA4.
  • Case Front Panel Header Cables (Power LED, HDD LED, Reset, Etc.): Through Hole 7 (or 6) to JFP1.
  • Case Front Panel Audio Cable: Through Hole 7 (or 6) to JAUD1.
  • Case Front Panel USB Cables: Through Hole 7 (or 6) to JUSB1 (USB 2.0), JUSB2 (USB 2.0), and/or JUSB3 (USB 3.0).
  • CPU Cooler Power Cable: No routing, plug to CPU_FAN1.

SourceMSI B450 MORTAR MAX Manual by MSI.

Dude, thank you for taking the time to do that, you're a godsend. I'm going to use this a guide to do all my cables. I should have all my parts by next week, once I get it all put together, I'll post a follow up with what it looks like. Thanks again!

8 hours ago, Eschew said:

2117803883_AVSK10-LabelledHoles.png.97b162b7b2e0a320320a5ab3a9537c26.png

I would just like to mention points 2, 3, and 4 are NOT holes, but punched out cable tie down points. You can see them more clearly from thee back view here:

Antec VSK10 Micro-ATX Case - OptimalTex

To the Top right (of my photo, Top left of Eschews) is the traditional 8 pin EPS connector cutout, which I would use as the Hole 2 callout (the guide is still applicable, just wanted to clarify). 

Hole 7 is also a bit split between two cutouts that are visible from the angle this photo was taken. I'd recommend the left cutout (towards the rear of the case) for HD audio and any RGB cables, and the right for USB2.0, front I/O and maybe PCi-E connectors for your GPU if there's room. 

VSK10

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25