Problem with dark rock pro 4

ElvisRudan33

I recently purchased a dark rock pro4 from be quiet and i am having issues with higher temps than what I had when I was using my hyper 212 evo rgb edition. With the hyper 212 I was running around 63c while playing video games and it never went higher than that and after installing the be quiet cooler. My temps actually went up to about 71-73c. I reapplies thermal paste and used multiple different types and no change. One thing I did notice was that when applying a new thermal paste application. My temps would be really reasonable and then when I shut my system down and go back and play my temps shoot up higher. I have checked the mount and it seems fine. Any tips as to why this is occurring? 

Fan curve?

Quote me for a reply, React if I was helpful, informative, or funny

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

3 minutes ago, Gundar said:

Fan curve?

So in the bios I have both fans running on performance mode which is roughly 1200 rpm I haven’t tried full speed but I also thought it might’ve been my fan curve but tried to make sure it was that so I don’t think it is that.

Did you change your case with the cooler?

AMD blackout rig

Just now, Gundar said:

Did you change your case with the cooler?

No I have the same case as before

Are you using any fan splitters? And how did you measure the temps? Did you constantly monitor temps, was it the same game, and thermal paste actually performs better when you let it dry in but I don't think it changes drastically or maybe you got a bad banch of the thermal paste. If you're going to try and monitor temps I would suggest using something like cinebench r20 becuase it's the same thing every time and did you upgrade your cpu becuse if temps were doing fine why would you change cooler?

AMD blackout rig

1 minute ago, Gundar said:

Are you using any fan splitters? And how did you measure the temps? Did you constantly monitor temps, was it the same game, and thermal paste actually performs better when you let it dry in but I don't think it changes drastically or maybe you got a bad banch of the thermal paste. If you're going to try and monitor temps I would suggest using something like cinebench r20 becuase it's the same thing every time and did you upgrade your cpu becuse if temps were doing fine why would you change cooler?

I am using the included fan splitter it came with. Also I have ryzen master on while playing to monitor the temps and I was monitoring temps in the same game whenever I was under load.i also didn’t let it dry in so that’s one thing I could try. I also don’t think I got a bad batch of paste because the consistency was good and I didn’t upgrade but I wanted just some more cooling potential because I was planning on overclocking the chip. 

Trying using something other than ryzen master becuase i've heard that it doesn't report really well try something like this

https://openhardwaremonitor.org/

While were at it did you overclock the cpu before you did the benchmark?

AMD blackout rig

7 minutes ago, Gundar said:

Trying using something other than ryzen master becuase i've heard that it doesn't report really well try something like this

https://openhardwaremonitor.org/

While were at it did you overclock the cpu before you did the benchmark?

I did not overclock it yet and hardware monitor was reporting similar temps maybe a degree or two of variation

Temps should be significantly better with a DRP4 vs a hyper 212. Seems likely that the cooler was not seated correctly. Double check this and your thermal paste application by physically removing the cooler and re-seating it again.

AMD Motherboard Tier List  GPU Cooling Tier List  PSU Tier List  A Dive Into Custom Keyboards & Mechanical Switches

NEWCOMERS Remember to ' Reply ' to comments in order for people to see them, this is done by clicking the arrow icon at the bottom of a comment (Quote).

My Builds:

MEGA Desk Build

Blueberry Pi  R9 3950X  Asus X470 ROG Crosshair VII Hero Wi-Fi ATX  Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 4x16GB 3200MHz CL16  EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC Black Edition 11GB  EVGA P2 850W w/ Blue Sleeved Cables  Cryorig R1 Universal (Blue)  2x Corsair Force MP510 4TB w/ Asus Hyper m.2 V2  Corsair ML Pro Blue LED Fans  Fractal Design Meshify C TG ATX Mid Tower  

Asus ROG SWIFT PG348Q 100Hz IPS G-Sync UW  Dell UltraSharp U3419W 60Hz IPS UW  Custom TOFU96  Corsair Scimitar Pro RGB 

Work Rig  ThreadRipper 3970X  Asus Prime TRX40 Pro ATX  G.Skill RipjawsV 8x32GB 3200Mhz CL16  Nvidia Quadro RTX 6000 24GB  Corsair HXi 1000W  EVGA CLC 360 AIO  8x Sabrent Rocket 2TB w/ 2x Asus Hyper m.2 V2   Arctic P12 Fans  Phanteks P400A ATX Mid Tower 

Plotting Machine 1  ThreadRipper 2990WX  AsRock X399 Taichi ATX  Kingston HyperX Fury 8x16GB 2666Mhz CL18   Nvidia Quadro K600 1GB  Corsair RMx 850W  EVGA CLC 360 AIO ‖ 2x Sabrent Rocket 2TB & 2x Sabrent Rocket 4TB w/ Asus Hyper m.2 V2  Arctic P12 Fans  Rosewill RSV-L4500 4U  5x Dell DS60 60-bay JBOD w/ 1.2PB of HDD Storage  HP 22U Half Rack

Plotting Machine 2  R9 3950X  Asus TUF X570-Plus Wi-Fi ATX  G.Skill RipjawsV 4x16GB 3200Mhz CL16   Nvidia Quadro K600 1GB  Corsair RM 650W  Noctua NH-D15s Chormax ‖ 4x Corsair MP600 Force 1TB W/ Asus Hyper m.2 Gen4  Arctic P14 & P12 Fans  Silverstone FARA R1 ATX Mid Tower

J.A.R.V.I.S.  R9 3900XT  Asus B550-I ROG STRIX Wi-Fi ITX  G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16  EVGA GTX 1080 SC2 iCX 8GB  Corsair SF 750W Platinum  Corsair H100i Pro AIO  Noctua NF-A12x15 Chromax Fans  FormD T1 SFF ITX Case  

LG 75UM8070PUA 4K UHD 120Hz IPS HDR TV  Corsair K63 Cherry MX Red Special Edition Wireless  Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless

Archive Server  R3 2200G  Asus B450-I ROG STRIX Wi-Fi ITX  Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16 White  Vega Integrated Graphics  EVGA P2 750W  Prism Wraith Cooler  ITX Open Bench  2x HP SAS Expander  LSI-SAS9211  220TB of HDD Storage

SFF ITX Home PC  i5-7500  MSI B250I Gaming Pro Wi-Fi AC ITX  G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x8GB 2800MHz  Intel Integrated Graphics  Seasonic SSP Flex ATX 300W PSU  Cryorig C7  Velka 3 rev 1.2 SFF ITX Case (Grey)  

Laptop  Dell XPS13 2-in-1 7390 (2020)  i7-1065G7  32GB 3733MHz LPDDR4x  Intel Integrated Graphics  1TB NVME M.2  UHD+ (3840 x 2400) InfinityEdge Touch Display 

Keyboard Collection  GMMK Full Size  TOFU96 90%  ‖ KBD8x MKII TKL ‖ Drop CTRL High Profile TKL ‖ KBD Bella 75% ‖ GMMK Pro 75% ‖ XD84 Pro 75%  KBD67 V2 MKII 65%  KBD67Lite 65%  TOFU65 65%  KBD Blade 60%  Drop Carina 60%  Southpaw75 60% w/ Left Numpad  OLKB Preonic V3 Ortholinear ‖ CosPad XD24  ‖ KBDPad MKII

Key Cap Collection  GMK Boba Fett  GMK Red Samurai  GMK Laser CyberDeck +Novalties  GMK Arch  MaxKey B&W  Drop MT3 Camillo ‖ Matt3o MT3 /dev/tty  KBDfans Biip Torii Ext-2048  ePBT Less But Better +Novalties  EnjoyPBT Dolch  WinMix Mustard  Drop Skylight Horizon & Slate ‖ Glorious Black Aura   

Mechanical Key Switch Collection  Zealios V2 65g  Zealios V2 78g ‖ Zilents V2 67g  Tealios V2 67g  C³ Kiwi ‖ C³ Tangerine  Invyr Holy Panda  Durock T1 67g  Kailh Box Thick Jades ‖ Kailh Box Royal ‖ Kailh Box Heavy Dark Yellow ‖ Kailh Box Heavy Burnt Orange  Kailh Box White  Kailh Box Red  Kailh Pro Purple  Kailh Pro Burgandy  Gateron Ink Black V2  Gateron Black  Gateron Yellow  Gateron Brown  Gateron Green  Gateron Blue ‖ Cherry MX Black ‖ Cherry MX Brown ‖ Cherry MX Red

If possible try pluggin in all the fans into seperate headers. While you're at it make a custom fan curve.

AMD blackout rig

3 minutes ago, TheDailyProcrastinator said:

Temps should be significantly better with a DRP4 vs a hyper 212. Seems likely that the cooler was not seated correctly. Double check this and your thermal paste application by physically removing the cooler and re-seating it again.

I did that multiple time and no improvement. The thermal paste application covers the entire ihs and there isn’t any visible areas where there isn’t enough of the paste.

3 minutes ago, Gundar said:

If possible try pluggin in all the fans into seperate headers. While you're at it make a custom fan curve.

I’ll try that and see if there is an improvement thanks!

1 minute ago, ElvisRudan33 said:

I did that multiple time and no improvement. The thermal paste application covers the entire ihs and there isn’t any visible areas where there isn’t enough of the paste.

Weird, plug one fan into the CPU fan header and the other into another header/ CPU opt fan header (no splitter cable) and see what happens. 

AMD Motherboard Tier List  GPU Cooling Tier List  PSU Tier List  A Dive Into Custom Keyboards & Mechanical Switches

NEWCOMERS Remember to ' Reply ' to comments in order for people to see them, this is done by clicking the arrow icon at the bottom of a comment (Quote).

My Builds:

MEGA Desk Build

Blueberry Pi  R9 3950X  Asus X470 ROG Crosshair VII Hero Wi-Fi ATX  Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 4x16GB 3200MHz CL16  EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC Black Edition 11GB  EVGA P2 850W w/ Blue Sleeved Cables  Cryorig R1 Universal (Blue)  2x Corsair Force MP510 4TB w/ Asus Hyper m.2 V2  Corsair ML Pro Blue LED Fans  Fractal Design Meshify C TG ATX Mid Tower  

Asus ROG SWIFT PG348Q 100Hz IPS G-Sync UW  Dell UltraSharp U3419W 60Hz IPS UW  Custom TOFU96  Corsair Scimitar Pro RGB 

Work Rig  ThreadRipper 3970X  Asus Prime TRX40 Pro ATX  G.Skill RipjawsV 8x32GB 3200Mhz CL16  Nvidia Quadro RTX 6000 24GB  Corsair HXi 1000W  EVGA CLC 360 AIO  8x Sabrent Rocket 2TB w/ 2x Asus Hyper m.2 V2   Arctic P12 Fans  Phanteks P400A ATX Mid Tower 

Plotting Machine 1  ThreadRipper 2990WX  AsRock X399 Taichi ATX  Kingston HyperX Fury 8x16GB 2666Mhz CL18   Nvidia Quadro K600 1GB  Corsair RMx 850W  EVGA CLC 360 AIO ‖ 2x Sabrent Rocket 2TB & 2x Sabrent Rocket 4TB w/ Asus Hyper m.2 V2  Arctic P12 Fans  Rosewill RSV-L4500 4U  5x Dell DS60 60-bay JBOD w/ 1.2PB of HDD Storage  HP 22U Half Rack

Plotting Machine 2  R9 3950X  Asus TUF X570-Plus Wi-Fi ATX  G.Skill RipjawsV 4x16GB 3200Mhz CL16   Nvidia Quadro K600 1GB  Corsair RM 650W  Noctua NH-D15s Chormax ‖ 4x Corsair MP600 Force 1TB W/ Asus Hyper m.2 Gen4  Arctic P14 & P12 Fans  Silverstone FARA R1 ATX Mid Tower

J.A.R.V.I.S.  R9 3900XT  Asus B550-I ROG STRIX Wi-Fi ITX  G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16  EVGA GTX 1080 SC2 iCX 8GB  Corsair SF 750W Platinum  Corsair H100i Pro AIO  Noctua NF-A12x15 Chromax Fans  FormD T1 SFF ITX Case  

LG 75UM8070PUA 4K UHD 120Hz IPS HDR TV  Corsair K63 Cherry MX Red Special Edition Wireless  Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless

Archive Server  R3 2200G  Asus B450-I ROG STRIX Wi-Fi ITX  Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16 White  Vega Integrated Graphics  EVGA P2 750W  Prism Wraith Cooler  ITX Open Bench  2x HP SAS Expander  LSI-SAS9211  220TB of HDD Storage

SFF ITX Home PC  i5-7500  MSI B250I Gaming Pro Wi-Fi AC ITX  G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x8GB 2800MHz  Intel Integrated Graphics  Seasonic SSP Flex ATX 300W PSU  Cryorig C7  Velka 3 rev 1.2 SFF ITX Case (Grey)  

Laptop  Dell XPS13 2-in-1 7390 (2020)  i7-1065G7  32GB 3733MHz LPDDR4x  Intel Integrated Graphics  1TB NVME M.2  UHD+ (3840 x 2400) InfinityEdge Touch Display 

Keyboard Collection  GMMK Full Size  TOFU96 90%  ‖ KBD8x MKII TKL ‖ Drop CTRL High Profile TKL ‖ KBD Bella 75% ‖ GMMK Pro 75% ‖ XD84 Pro 75%  KBD67 V2 MKII 65%  KBD67Lite 65%  TOFU65 65%  KBD Blade 60%  Drop Carina 60%  Southpaw75 60% w/ Left Numpad  OLKB Preonic V3 Ortholinear ‖ CosPad XD24  ‖ KBDPad MKII

Key Cap Collection  GMK Boba Fett  GMK Red Samurai  GMK Laser CyberDeck +Novalties  GMK Arch  MaxKey B&W  Drop MT3 Camillo ‖ Matt3o MT3 /dev/tty  KBDfans Biip Torii Ext-2048  ePBT Less But Better +Novalties  EnjoyPBT Dolch  WinMix Mustard  Drop Skylight Horizon & Slate ‖ Glorious Black Aura   

Mechanical Key Switch Collection  Zealios V2 65g  Zealios V2 78g ‖ Zilents V2 67g  Tealios V2 67g  C³ Kiwi ‖ C³ Tangerine  Invyr Holy Panda  Durock T1 67g  Kailh Box Thick Jades ‖ Kailh Box Royal ‖ Kailh Box Heavy Dark Yellow ‖ Kailh Box Heavy Burnt Orange  Kailh Box White  Kailh Box Red  Kailh Pro Purple  Kailh Pro Burgandy  Gateron Ink Black V2  Gateron Black  Gateron Yellow  Gateron Brown  Gateron Green  Gateron Blue ‖ Cherry MX Black ‖ Cherry MX Brown ‖ Cherry MX Red

7 minutes ago, TheDailyProcrastinator said:

Weird, plug one fan into the CPU fan header and the other into another header/ CPU opt fan header (no splitter cable) and see what happens. 

I’ll do that when I can and I’ll update thanks btw!

There might be some auto-OC feature in play. So I would advice checking for anything like that. The reason why it might have activated is because cooler actually can dissipate more heat.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I don’t know if this is the case here but.. it seems coolers that worked good on intel cpus don’t work good for amd. It seems the new amd prefers a flat cold plate, like a 212 vs anything that is remotely convex, like most high end coolers.

I don't have one so I can’t say for sure.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL-B12, 2x TL-K12
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN8501TB, SN850X2TB
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, 2x TL-B14, TL-D14X

3 hours ago, freeagent said:

I don’t know if this is the case here but.. it seems coolers that worked good on intel cpus don’t work good for amd. It seems the new amd prefers a flat cold plate, like a 212 vs anything that is remotely convex, like most high end coolers.

I don't have one so I can’t say for sure.

Well I have watched a few videos which involved an and chip and they used the cooler I am using and it’s fine. But there is always that possibility. 

3 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

There might be some auto-OC feature in play. So I would advice checking for anything like that. The reason why it might have activated is because cooler actually can dissipate more heat.

I have no auto oc feature going. The only thing that is going on is the precision boost overdrive that and uses for these chips which tries and pulls as much performance from the chip when possible. I can try and remedy this by under bolting the system but the problem with that is that I lose performance which was probably negligible. 

UPDATE: so before I switched from my splitter to plugging both fans into separate headers, I changed my fan speed to full speed and it seemed to keep temps down. But, that is totally different from the hyper 212. I eventually took out the splitter and it did stay at the same performance. I’m hitting about 59c in game and about 37-40c at idle Once my system reaches equilibrium with the room temp. I just don’t know how long my fans will last running full blast all the time. They are be quiet fans so they are high quality fans I just wish it didn’t take me running the fans at full speed to get the performance I was wanting. 

I found an article which and individual used the drp4 to cool the 3900x and his temps at idle were 51c and in gaming he had around 69c and stress test he had 80c so I’m confused as to why my hyper 212 evo performed so well. Granted the review is using a much higher tdp chip than mine but not by much in all reality. What’s re your opinions on my normal temps and my temps after the fact?

15 minutes ago, ElvisRudan33 said:

I have no auto oc feature going. The only thing that is going on is the precision boost overdrive that and uses for these chips which tries and pulls as much performance from the chip when possible. I can try and remedy this by under bolting the system but the problem with that is that I lose performance which was probably negligible. 

That sounds like auto-OC to me. Actually reading GamersNexus artcile confirms that its kinda like what MCE is for Intel. So disabling it will mean better temps.

11 minutes ago, ElvisRudan33 said:

UPDATE: so before I switched from my splitter to plugging both fans into separate headers, I changed my fan speed to full speed and it seemed to keep temps down. But, that is totally different from the hyper 212. I eventually took out the splitter and it did stay at the same performance. I’m hitting about 59c in game and about 37-40c at idle Once my system reaches equilibrium with the room temp. I just don’t know how long my fans will last running full blast all the time. They are be quiet fans so they are high quality fans I just wish it didn’t take me running the fans at full speed to get the performance I was wanting. 

Fans are rated to run at full speed. For noise reasons its not most optimal thing. Dark Rock Pro 4 fans are rated for 300 000 h of usage. Thast 30+ years of 24/7 running. We might not be running normal desktops when those fans finally die.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

8 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

That sounds like auto-OC to me. Actually reading GamersNexus artcile confirms that its kinda like what MCE is for Intel. So disabling it will mean better temps.

Fans are rated to run at full speed. For noise reasons its not most optimal thing. Dark Rock Pro 4 fans are rated for 300 000 h of usage. Thast 30+ years of 24/7 running. We might not be running normal desktops when those fans finally die.

Okay thanks. I’ll take a look into turning off auto oc and seeing if that helps me. It shouldn’t drop my performance by a whole lot from what I have seen

Update: so I have firgured out that my case airflow isn’t the best and so I’ll be looking into getting a mesh front panel case. But in the mean time I can pop off the front panel from the case and let more airflow. On tope of that I set a fab curve which is now keeping the system at 38c at idle and around 57-60c in game. Those temps I’m happy with but honestly this cooler isn’t worth the price for what I have been experiencing with it. Other people seem to have lots of success which is great but for me I couldn’t recommend it personally.