IPS vs VA vs TN monitor for gaming

FranciscoGuarda

Hey guys, I'm trying to decide what monitor to buy but found out that there are the 3 types of monitors. IPS, VA and TN. I saw a lot of videos comparing them but I still don't no what to choose. I don't think I wold buy a TN panel because of the quality reproducing the colors. I was thinking about buying a VA monitor but I'm afraid I have problems with ghosting, as a lot of people say. First I was going for an IPS monitor but the response times and the blacks are better on A VA monitor so I don't know. Please help me. Answer me as fast as you can, I need to buy one quickly because I need to work. Thanks. 

Wich models, size, resolution, refresh rate  are we talking?

How much do you do work and how much time is spend gaming on this monitor

FOLDING MONTH 2021! GOGOGO and save on some heating costs 🙂

VA is the in between option. It's what went with mostly for price and had the refresh rate and response time like my older 1080p TN did.

A lot of people complain about motion blur and/or ghosting. I don't really notice it or see it when gaming or media, but I'm sure some people may be more sensitive to it than I am.

I do like my VA cause I don't notice much bad about it. It's just for gaming watch media. Gaming looks great to me.

First watercooled System

Build Name: Frost

Monitor: Alienware AW3423DWF 1800R Curved Ultrawide 3440x1440 QD-OLED 157hz 10 bit 0.1ms

Chassis: Lian Li 011 Dynamic EVO w/ 2x120mm Corsair QL RGB Fans on the bottom 1x120mm on back exhaust

Top Rad & Fans:  Corsair 54mm 360mm w/ 3x120mm Corsair ML Pro RGB Fans

Side Rad & Fans: Corsair 30mm 360mm w/ 3x120mm Corsair QL RGB Fans

Motherboard: Asrock X670E Steel Legend

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D w/ Corsair XC7 RGB Pro w/ Kyrosheet

Memory/RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB DDR5 2x16GB 32GB 6000Mhz

GPU: Asus GeForce RTX 4080 TUF w/ EK-Quantum Vector2 Nickel/Plexi & Backplate

Pump/Reservoir: Corsair XD5 RGB

Coolant: EK Mystic Fog

PSU: EVGA Supernova 1000w G3 w/ custom modmesh black & white cables from cablemod

Boot/OS SSD: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB NVMe

WZ/2042 SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB

Game SSD: Samsung 980 Pro 1TB

Performance/Editing HDD: Western Digital Black 1TB

Storage HDD: Western Digital Blue 1TB

Mouse: Razer Lancehead Tournament Edition/Razer Mamba

Mouse Mat: Corsair MM700 RGB

Keyboard: Razer Ornata Chroma

Microphone: HyperX Quadcast

Headset: Razer Blackshark v2 Pro

Eyewear/Glasses: Gunnar Optiks Razer FPS

Camera: Razer Kiyo Pro

1 minute ago, ChaosCGTV said:

VA is the in between option. It's what I went with mostly for price and had the refresh rate and response time like my older 1080p TN did.

A lot of people complain about motion blur and/or ghosting. I don't really notice it or see it when gaming or media, but I'm sure some people may be more sensitive to it than I am.

I do like my VA cause I don't notice much bad about it. It's just for gaming and  watching media. Gaming looks great to me.

First watercooled System

Build Name: Frost

Monitor: Alienware AW3423DWF 1800R Curved Ultrawide 3440x1440 QD-OLED 157hz 10 bit 0.1ms

Chassis: Lian Li 011 Dynamic EVO w/ 2x120mm Corsair QL RGB Fans on the bottom 1x120mm on back exhaust

Top Rad & Fans:  Corsair 54mm 360mm w/ 3x120mm Corsair ML Pro RGB Fans

Side Rad & Fans: Corsair 30mm 360mm w/ 3x120mm Corsair QL RGB Fans

Motherboard: Asrock X670E Steel Legend

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D w/ Corsair XC7 RGB Pro w/ Kyrosheet

Memory/RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB DDR5 2x16GB 32GB 6000Mhz

GPU: Asus GeForce RTX 4080 TUF w/ EK-Quantum Vector2 Nickel/Plexi & Backplate

Pump/Reservoir: Corsair XD5 RGB

Coolant: EK Mystic Fog

PSU: EVGA Supernova 1000w G3 w/ custom modmesh black & white cables from cablemod

Boot/OS SSD: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB NVMe

WZ/2042 SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB

Game SSD: Samsung 980 Pro 1TB

Performance/Editing HDD: Western Digital Black 1TB

Storage HDD: Western Digital Blue 1TB

Mouse: Razer Lancehead Tournament Edition/Razer Mamba

Mouse Mat: Corsair MM700 RGB

Keyboard: Razer Ornata Chroma

Microphone: HyperX Quadcast

Headset: Razer Blackshark v2 Pro

Eyewear/Glasses: Gunnar Optiks Razer FPS

Camera: Razer Kiyo Pro

IPS and VA response times have gotten better, especially on more expensive monitors.

Personally I switched last month from a TN panel to a IPS and the black levels blew my mind, granted I haven't used a VA monitor.

You might have seen this already, but It's a good introduction video to the differences.

Here are some monitors you might want to consider.

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/asus/tuf-vg27aq

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/lg/27gl850-b

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/lg/32gk850g-b

For the love of god, do not get a VA panel for gaming, the ghosting will drive you crazy! I tried both cheap and expensive ones with high frequenzy rates, its awful even when reading text on a white background. IPS is good if you get one with no backlight bleed,  had a HP 27w monitor with ips panel, black looked glowy gray, and yellow spots of light littered the sides of the panel, contrast was awful with this one. TN panel has fastest display, no blacklight bleed, no ghosting, and gaming monitors today tend to have every single color/contrast option to get it look as best a TN possibly can.

16 minutes ago, Olaw said:

For the love of god, do not get a VA panel for gaming, the ghosting will drive you crazy! I tried both cheap and expensive ones with high frequenzy rates, its awful even when reading text on a white background. IPS is good if you get one with no backlight bleed,  had a HP 27w monitor with ips panel, black looked glowy gray, and yellow spots of light littered the sides of the panel, contrast was awful with this one. TN panel has fastest display, no blacklight bleed, no ghosting, and gaming monitors today tend to have every single color/contrast option to get it look as best a TN possibly can.

I have a VG Samsung LC27HG70 and its perfectly fine. No gohosting noticeable even in Doom eternal on 144FPS Fresync HDR

FOLDING MONTH 2021! GOGOGO and save on some heating costs 🙂

Depends on what you mainly care for. Do you mostly play single player games or online. If not multiplayer games IPS would be great, maybe VA for cheaper.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

13 hours ago, Gaires said:

IPS and VA response times have gotten better, especially on more expensive monitors.

Personally I switched last month from a TN panel to a IPS and the black levels blew my mind, granted I haven't used a VA monitor.

You might have seen this already, but It's a good introduction video to the differences.

Here are some monitors you might want to consider.

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/asus/tuf-vg27aq

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/lg/27gl850-b

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/lg/32gk850g-b

Yeah, I saw that video too, but thanks any way!

6 hours ago, Olaw said:

I really don't know, a lot of people tlak about ghosting on a VA panel but other say that they never had problems with it... It's hard so choose. I found a IPS panel similar to a VA panel that had previously chose but the IPS panel is a bit more expensive and I don't think I can spend much more on a monitor based on my budget. I don't think I would like a TN panel based on every review I saw about them, everyone says the colors are washed and horrible. 

2 hours ago, Doobeedoo said:

Depends on what you mainly care for. Do you mostly play single player games or online. If not multiplayer games IPS would be great, maybe VA for cheaper.

I play both, single and multi-player games, and would use it also for media. I saw an IPS panel similar to a VA that I had previously chose but it was I little bit more expensive and I don't think I can spend much more on a monitor based on my budget. 

18 hours ago, ChaosCGTV said:

VA is the in between option. It's what went with mostly for price and had the refresh rate and response time like my older 1080p TN did.

I do like my VA cause I don't notice much bad about it. It's just for gaming watch media. Gaming looks great to me.

Thanks for the help! 

3 hours ago, FranciscoGuarda said:

I play both, single and multi-player games, and would use it also for media. I saw an IPS panel similar to a VA that I had previously chose but it was I little bit more expensive and I don't think I can spend much more on a monitor based on my budget. 

Well I guess choose if you want a better looking IPS or a VA for cheaper, depends on price you're after.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

21 hours ago, Metallus97 said:

Wich models, size, resolution, refresh rate  are we talking?

How much do you do work and how much time is spend gaming on this monitor

I'll work and play a lot. I thinking on a 1080p, 144Hz and 1ms refresh rate monitor. I saw 2 monitors that caught my attention but you can recommend others if you think I can get a better one with a similar price:

https://www.worten.pt/informatica-e-acessorios/monitores/monitores-pc/monitor-gaming-curvo-samsung-l24cfg73-24-1-ms-144-hz-amd-freesync-6293431

https://www.fnac.pt/Monitor-Gaming-Curvo-FHD-AOC-C24G1-24-Monitor-Monitor-LED/a7497471?gclsrc=ds

18 hours ago, Doobeedoo said:

Around 200 euros. Recommend me a monitor if you can, pls. 

I'd take AOC 24G2U (not the 24G2U5 which is 75Hz) IPS, though 6-bit+FRC but that's not too noticable. Also C24G1 is a good VA monitor.

I edit my posts more often than not

6 minutes ago, Tan3l6 said:

I'd take AOC 24G2U (not the 24G2U5 which is 75Hz) IPS, though 6-bit+FRC but that's not too noticable. Also C24G1 is a good VA monitor.

I was going for the C24G1 but I'm not sure yet. Thanks for the help! 

14 hours ago, FranciscoGuarda said:

Around 200 euros. Recommend me a monitor if you can, pls. 

The C24G1 is not bad, my friend has it. Few more. 

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/monitor/#X=11691,37051&F=584200000,660400000&r=192001080&D=120000,280000&P=4&A=2&m=143,27

1 hour ago, FranciscoGuarda said:

Thanks bro, do you think an IPS on this budget would be better rather than one of these you sent me?

One of these maybe.
https://pcpartpicker.com/products/monitor/#X=11691,32790&F=584200000,660400000&r=192001080&D=120000,280000&A=2&P=2
Yeah they'd be fine. Better colors overall and viewing angles while VA may be better for darker scenes.

8 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

One of these maybe.
https://pcpartpicker.com/products/monitor/#X=11691,32790&F=584200000,660400000&r=192001080&D=120000,280000&A=2&P=2
Yeah they'd be fine. Better colors overall and viewing angles while VA may be better for darker scenes.

Thanks, I'll see them. I saw some comparisons on youtube of IPS vs VA but I got mixed thoughts, I like the dark scenes on the VA but the colors seem more accurate on the IPS, and some VAs panels colors seemed a little bit orange. I don't know. Also seeing a video is not the same thing as seeing in person.