Are mechanical drive worth buying over SSD

Emiliawastakenowo

Hey, I want to build a new setup because im moving out of my parents house soon and i wanted to make my pc good that i wont have to worry about it any time soon.

I was thinking of buying a Sansumg 970 EVO + as my OC drive another samsung 1TB ssd. 

I am now thinking should i get a 5 TB hard drive that is fast like SSHD or i should go with a 3 TB SSD.

also i need a lot of space because i want it to last for a while until i need to rebuy or upgrade.

Depends what you store on it. Not everything will see a huge speed difference. Obviously going SSD only is the best option. If you need and want TBs of storage now you can get HDD and be fine, it's cheaper. Can always add SSDs down the line when prices will be even lower. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

2 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

Depends what you store on it. Not everything will see a huge speed difference. Obviously going SSD only is the best option. If you need and want TBs of storage now you can get HDD and be fine, it's cheaper. Can always add SSDs down the line when prices will be even lower. 

hmm just random things you know. thing is i have money to buy it right now and i know if i wont buy it ill probly spend it on clothes or smth.

7 minutes ago, Emiliawastakenowo said:

hmm just random things you know. thing is i have money to buy it right now and i know if i wont buy it ill probly spend it on clothes or smth.

Right, so like media files won't benwfit really unless you do some content creation and such. Some games can ge a good speed boost, many may not see a big improvement so. Also you can put certain games on main SSD though. 

If you think you need more TBs now get HDD that's how I did. Multi TB SSDs are still pricey so. Depends on your need and price. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

HDDs are cheaper on a cost-per-GB basis.

General consensus is that you put your OS and choice apps on an SSD, and the rest of our media or Steam library on the HDD. If you need caching performance for launching games off an HDD, check into PrimoCache as an option; they have a demo you can run.

I would go HD for general storage. More important that requires peed go onto SSD. Also, stay away from 5TB drives. They have a higher than normal failure rate. 

Be sure to @Pickles von Brine if you want me to see your reply!

Stopping by to praise the all mighty jar Lord pickles... * drinks from a chalice of holy pickle juice and tossed dill over shoulder* ~ @WarDance
3600x | NH-D15 Chromax Black | 32GB 3200MHz | ASUS KO RTX 3070 UnderVolted and UnderClocked | Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X570S | Seasonic X760w | Phanteks Evolv X | 500GB WD_Black SN750 x2 | Sandisk Skyhawk 3.84TB SSD 

10 hours ago, Emiliawastakenowo said:

I was thinking of buying a Sansumg 970 EVO + as my OC drive another samsung 1TB ssd. 

I am now thinking should i get a 5 TB hard drive that is fast like SSHD or i should go with a 3 TB SSD.

Hey there. The Samsung 970 EVO is a good choice, it has great performance and you get a good warranty period. For the other drive, generally speaking, a 1-2 TB HDD/SSD will be enough for the average user to store office files, games, light media (music, pictures), and miscellaneous things. I'd only recommend 3+ TB if you're doing content creation, database stuff, or some other special scenario that demands heavy storage.

Also, I think the general consensus is that SSHDs are a sham. Users have usually reported craptastic reliability and only a marginal speed improvement over HDDs. I'd stick with either a HDD or a high capacity SSD if you've got the cash.

Spoiler
7 hours ago, Pickles - Lord of the Jar said:

More important that requires peed go onto SSD.

*snicker*

正直に生きる、一度きりの人生だから

Keeb Weeb LinksCustom Mechanical Keyboards | #KeebWeebClub

'Chew Builds: Hoshī (PC) | Okashī (PC) | K-4398 (Keeb) | Eighty #391 (Keeb) | R2-968 (Keeb) | MGK64 (Keeb)

22 hours ago, Doobeedoo said:

Right, so like media files won't benwfit really unless you do some content creation and such. Some games can ge a good speed boost, many may not see a big improvement so. Also you can put certain games on main SSD though. 

If you think you need more TBs now get HDD that's how I did. Multi TB SSDs are still pricey so. Depends on your need and price. 

oh def nun of those all i do is pics and some cooking recipes i save 

22 hours ago, StDragon said:

HDDs are cheaper on a cost-per-GB basis.

General consensus is that you put your OS and choice apps on an SSD, and the rest of our media or Steam library on the HDD. If you need caching performance for launching games off an HDD, check into PrimoCache as an option; they have a demo you can run.

should i go with some raid on the drives. because one under you said to not go for drives over 5tb

13 hours ago, Eschew said:

Hey there. The Samsung 970 EVO is a good choice, it has great performance and you get a good warranty period. For the other drive, generally speaking, a 1-2 TB HDD/SSD will be enough for the average user to store office files, games, light media (music, pictures), and miscellaneous things. I'd only recommend 3+ TB if you're doing content creation, database stuff, or some other special scenario that demands heavy storage.

Also, I think the general consensus is that SSHDs are a sham. Users have usually reported craptastic reliability and only a marginal speed improvement over HDDs. I'd stick with either a HDD or a high capacity SSD if you've got the cash.

Reveal hidden contents

*snicker*

yessss my sshd right now is 1TB and i save it on it some steam games and work and its unplayable sometimes like my hard drive is on 100% so i def wanted to get a ssd for my games.also is there a way for me to have like a cloud or does it need something spcial ?

29 minutes ago, Emiliawastakenowo said:

should i go with some raid on the drives. because one under you said to not go for drives over 5tb

You can get any capacity you want/need. If you're worried about not picking a drive that's prone to a higher failure rate, I recommend at least reading this article from BackBlaze on failure stats.

That said, it is cheaper to go with one larger capacity drive than it is with smaller ones in a RAID configuration. And depending budget and/or room in your computer case, it would seem more practical to go with just a RAID1 (mirror) configuration for fault-tolerance. RAID1 is like having two tires on one wheel (think 18 wheeler truck). Any one of those tires can blowout while driving and you can still keep on trucking without interruption.

That all said, RAID isn't a backup. You delete the file, it will delete from both drives. I real backup solution involves rotating external media on the shelf, or uploading your data to the cloud someplace. So if you don't have a backup solution in place, do implement one and factor that into your budget as well. And depending on all what you need backed up, something like OneDrive or Dropbox might suffice, but that's entirely up to you.

1 hour ago, StDragon said:

You can get any capacity you want/need. If you're worried about not picking a drive that's prone to a higher failure rate, I recommend at least reading this article from BackBlaze on failure stats.

That said, it is cheaper to go with one larger capacity drive than it is with smaller ones in a RAID configuration. And depending budget and/or room in your computer case, it would seem more practical to go with just a RAID1 (mirror) configuration for fault-tolerance. RAID1 is like having two tires on one wheel (think 18 wheeler truck). Any one of those tires can blowout while driving and you can still keep on trucking without interruption.

That all said, RAID isn't a backup. You delete the file, it will delete from both drives. I real backup solution involves rotating external media on the shelf, or uploading your data to the cloud someplace. So if you don't have a backup solution in place, do implement one and factor that into your budget as well. And depending on all what you need backed up, something like OneDrive or Dropbox might suffice, but that's entirely up to you.

i meant raid for it to be faster i just finished paying my house loan and my car loan so i do want to treat my self with some nice things before i go spending again. and raid might be good for like i want to add some games from the xbox to it because xbox storage is small same with adding pics and all and it would be much faster (from what i know). i mean point is i would want to create a cloud in my home conncted to wifi and have storage for all the things i want to save ect do i need to buy like a diffrent hard drive or smth spacial ?

I haven't a clue about "XBox" storage. I'm assuming you're talking about upgrading your PC. In the event I'm being taken for a ride here....

At this point, I'm just going to recommend you seek out a reputable computer shop in your area. They should be able to consult what the fastest and reliable storage options are for your PC.

Best of luck.

6 hours ago, Emiliawastakenowo said:

also is there a way for me to have like a cloud or does it need something spcial ?

Free cloud storage (with capped capacities per account) like Google Drive and Dropbox are available and good for office files, media files, or backup. If there are any cloud storage services for games that will also let you play those games off the cloud, or if you're asking for server-scale cloud storage, I'm not familiar enough with the topic to recommend anything. 😅

正直に生きる、一度きりの人生だから

Keeb Weeb LinksCustom Mechanical Keyboards | #KeebWeebClub

'Chew Builds: Hoshī (PC) | Okashī (PC) | K-4398 (Keeb) | Eighty #391 (Keeb) | R2-968 (Keeb) | MGK64 (Keeb)