I live 2.5 miles from a city but can't get internet?

Need_Not

Every single website other than satellite internet says my address is not recognized which means I can't get internet?! How close do I have to be? I'd think 2.5 miles is close enough!

Just some random guy who has a gaming computer to play on his Minecraft server

3 minutes ago, NZgamer said:

Can you not even get VDSL internet out there? Surley there's a phone line going out there. If not, maybe you might want to think about throwing a 4g aerial on your roof and using 4g for your internet

Where would I get the 4g from? I thought 4g is for mobile data

Just now, Need_Not said:

Where would I get the 4g from? I thought 4g is for mobile data

You can get 4g for homes, not the best, but much better than satalite.

Also look for a wisp in your area, they should have coverage in a area like yours.

Or run your own cable.

5 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

You can get 4g for homes, not the best, but much better than satalite.

Also look for a wisp in your area, they should have coverage in a area like yours.

Or run your own cable.

How would i know who/what the wisp is from to even buy something from it?

Also what would running my own line do?

But my main question was how close do I have to live?! Like can it not go 2.5 miles?

6 minutes ago, Need_Not said:

How would i know who/what the wisp is from to even buy something from it?

Also what would running my own line do?

Google wisps in your area, there high speed wireless links.

Did you call the isps in your area, normally you can pay extra for a cable to be ran to your house. The webistes aren't great, you normally have to call for a more advanced setup.

5 minutes ago, Need_Not said:

But my main question was how close do I have to live?! Like can it not go 2.5 miles?

The distance from the city doesn't really matter, its weather or not a isp has a line running down your strett already.

3 minutes ago, Skipple said:

Do you live on a new development or new road?

Country so kind of in the middle of nowhere

But not... Idk why I can't get dsl if that's just a phone line 

Edited by Need_Not

1 hour ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Google wisps in your area, there high speed wireless links.

Did you call the isps in your area, normally you can pay extra for a cable to be ran to your house. The webistes aren't great, you normally have to call for a more advanced setup.

The distance from the city doesn't really matter, its weather or not a isp has a line running down your strett already.

Is wisp internet even that good? Because they look almost as bad as satellite price and speed

1 hour ago, NZgamer said:

Can you not even get VDSL internet out there? Surley there's a phone line going out there. If not, maybe you might want to think about throwing a 4g aerial on your roof and using 4g for your internet

I mean I have a phone line yeah but is dsl that fast? And I can't even get dsl providers to work when I go to their websites 

6 minutes ago, NZgamer said:

Yeah you can get 100mbps through DSL. In NZ before we got fibre, everyone's internet was on DSL. It's on the way out, but it still works.

But like let's say... my house is 40 years and I haven't used any sort of phone line in 7 years won't the cable be old and outdated so it won't be able to support such speeds? Also what kind of upload would something like that be 

12 minutes ago, Need_Not said:

Is wisp internet even that good? Because they look almost as bad as satellite price and speed

If its setup well, you can get gig speeds with good latency over it. satellite is very bad with latency.

12 minutes ago, Need_Not said:

I mean I have a phone line yeah but is dsl that fast? And I can't even get dsl providers to work when I go to their websites 

Call your carrier, they will tell you what plans they ahve availabe.

Also talk to your neighbors and ask how their getting internet.

2 minutes ago, Need_Not said:

But like let's say... my house is 40 years and I haven't used any sort of phone line in 7 years won't the cable be old and outdated so it won't be able to support such speeds? Also what kind of upload would something like that be 

DSL is all about getting usable speeds on very crappy cabling, not great, but suprising how much data they can get on those cables.

I don't know much about networking so how does cable internet work like I get that it's a cable but is it underground or what? Because if it is I'd probably have to live in a modern city home 

Dang! Xfinity was $35/m for 12m and 100mbps! Ahhh it was such a good deal and i want it so bad but they use cable 

Just now, Need_Not said:

I don't know much about networking so how does cable internet work like I get that it's a cable but is it underground or what? Because if it is I'd probably have to live in a modern city home 

Dang! Xfinity was $35/m for 12m and 100mbps! Ahhh it was such a good deal and i want it so bad but they use cable 

You can easiy setup a old home with cable or fiber,the big questions if it the ran it down your street. Call up concast and others and see how much it will cost for them to do that.

9 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

If its setup well, you can get gig speeds with good latency over it. satellite is very bad with latency.

I think you're referring to 'dedicated radio backhaul' versus 'wisp data speed/volume plan offered to consumers'

9 hours ago, Need_Not said:

If it's available it's your best play.  

PC : 3600 · Crosshair VI WiFi · 2x16GB RGB 3200 · 1080Ti SC2 · 1TB WD SN750 · EVGA 1600G2 · Define C