Email client, that starts with Windows minimised, and closes to tray.

Looking for an mail client, that will start with Windows minimised, and can be closed to the system tray?

I've tried several email clients, and have yet to find one that can achieve this with out having to resort to batch files, or addons, most of which are no longer being maintained

Thanks.

Microsoft Mail? I'm getting notifications right now when it's closed...

Mozilla Thunderbird ?

I remember I used an extension to have it minimize to system tray, before the feature existed.

If it doesn't auto hide at startup I'm sure you can find (or make) an extension to minimize to system tray at launch.

10 minutes ago, ShadySocks said:

Microsoft Mail? I'm getting notifications right now when it's closed...

Windows Mail doesn't give me notifications unless the program is running, but I'm using a local account, are you using a local account, or microsoft account on your system?

6 minutes ago, mariushm said:

Mozilla Thunderbird ?

I remember I used an extension to have it minimize to system tray, before the feature existed.

If it doesn't auto hide at startup I'm sure you can find (or make) an extension to minimize to system tray at launch.

I've used Thunderbird for many years, the addons that use to achieve this are no longer working in the latest version, and are no longer maintained.

Is this really most important factor if we're talking about email clients? There is only few good email cleans on the market. Looking for something that may work bad, but starts minimized is not the best idea.

There is something called EmailTray. I tested it years ago, but this is not good email client.

The Windows version of my main Android client has option to close to tray. But as its bit buggy on Windows and missing some features, like start with Windows, you might need to request feature like this and wait for several months to get it.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

You can go on freelancer.com or some place and pay someone 10-20$ to make a small application that you can put in startup which starts Thunderbird (or another client), waits until it's initialized and then minimizes it (putting it to system tray or whatever)

You may even be able to ask someone there to take a free extension and update it to work, for that amount of money....

You could do the same with a batch file and using start.exe with its parameters (start minimized, start in background etc)

2 hours ago, homeap5 said:

Is this really most important factor if we're talking about email clients? There is only few good email cleans on the market. Looking for something that may work bad, but starts minimized is not the best idea.

There is something called EmailTray. I tested it years ago, but this is not good email client.

Just checked it out, and I agree, EmailTray sucks. :)

1 hour ago, mariushm said:

You can go on freelancer.com or some place and pay someone 10-20$ to make a small application that you can put in startup which starts Thunderbird (or another client), waits until it's initialized and then minimizes it (putting it to system tray or whatever)

You may even be able to ask someone there to take a free extension and update it to work, for that amount of money....

You could do the same with a batch file and using start.exe with its parameters (start minimized, start in background etc)

I'm currently running a batch file using nircmd, to start and minimise Thunderbird, then using a third party program called TBtray to close it to tray.

I'm getting sick of having to stuff around with Thunderbird every time they do an update, I'm about to reload Windows in a week or so, was after a few suggestions to try some other clients before I do.

1 hour ago, MaxPower4U said:

I'm currently running a batch file using nircmd, to start and minimise Thunderbird, then using a third party program called TBtray to close it to tray.

I'm getting sick of having to stuff around with Thunderbird every time they do an update. (...) was after a few suggestions to try some other clients (...).

I was using/testing lot of email clients. Eudora, The Bat!, Opera Mail, Sylpheed, Poco Mail, Thunderbird, eM Client etc. Of course many more that I installed, tested for a while and remove because they was total crap or has very limited functionality.

Since Eudora 7 is no longer available (and usign only US encoding without UTF support), Opera Mail is discontinued (but still decent email client if you want), Thunderbird is slow as hell, Sylpheed is text only (and not so fast too), The Bat! has full of bugs and upgrade policy is a joke (plus - search is slow and new versions have nothing really new except price) - my choice is eM Client. Free up to 2 accounts and not so expensive if you want to use more than 2 accounts (and has lifetime upgrade option).

So:

1. eM Client (free up to 2 accounts)

2. Opera Mail (similar to eM Client, with less functions, but free for unlimited accounts).

BTW. Opera Mail has even better indexed search than eM Client (not faster, just better made).

Both programs have notifications (eM Client much better and reliable).

Just do not use eM Client 8 beta yet, use 7th version. 8 is still very buggy.

1 hour ago, MaxPower4U said:

I'm about to reload Windows in a week or so (...)

Any specific reason besides the common erroneous opinion that you have to do it from time to time?

I bet you have many more interesting things to do other than pointless "cleaning". If it works - it works. Focus on email client. :)

I ran eM Client for a few weeks, It didn't start minimised, I had to disable "Run on system startup", and place a shortcut that was set to run minimised in the start folder.

It was actually quite good, but I kept getting an error when i shut the PC down. That was a few months ago though, I'll reinstall it and give it another try.

Reload is just to clean up the system, not really the Windows 10 side of things, just all the orphaned shit from all the programs I've tested over the last few years.

27 minutes ago, MaxPower4U said:

Reload is just to clean up the system, not really the Windows 10 side of things, just all the orphaned shit from all the programs I've tested over the last few years.

Believe me, it's not needed.

I have lot of programs, tools, old crap, games etc. And system works the same good as new. It's not a truck that if you remove heavy boxes, can drive faster. Cleaning Windows is unnecessary work.

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/4/2020 at 5:39 PM, homeap5 said:

Believe me, it's not needed.

I have lot of programs, tools, old crap, games etc. And system works the same good as new. It's not a truck that if you remove heavy boxes, can drive faster. Cleaning Windows is unnecessary work.

Well, if you'd know the way Windows Registry works, you'd also like to clean up your Windows after some time.

3 hours ago, H.Lo said:

Well, if you'd know the way Windows Registry works, you'd also like to clean up your Windows after some time.

You apparently don't know how it works. It's database that works the same fast no matter how big it is. But you may believe myths if you want.