Oxide Games talks about AMD Mantle

qwertywarrior

Mantle, the AMD version of PhysX for doing calculations that can be easily done on the cpu done on the gpu instead. That is what I take away from this. Yes Mantle is a step forward for a better API than DirectX is, but it's nowhere near perfect.

Mantle, the AMD version of PhysX for doing calculations that can be easily done on the cpu done on the gpu instead

no ....

there arnt any calculations done on the GPU

do you know what mantle is ?

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

no ....

there arnt any calculations done on the GPU

do you know what mantle is ?

....You're joking, right?

Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait Edition █ CPU: Intel i7-4790K █ GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 780Ti █ RAM: 8GB AVEXIR DDR3 1600  █ Storage: 120GB Kingston HyperX SSD + 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD 

█ Monitor: 21.5" 1080p 60Hz  PSU: 700w █ Case: Fractal Define R4 █       ...LTT Dark Theme master race.

Project MiniConsole

Mantle, the AMD version of PhysX for doing calculations that can be easily done on the cpu done on the gpu instead. That is what I take away from this. Yes Mantle is a step forward for a better API than DirectX is, but it's nowhere near perfect.

It's nothing like phys x lol

I think comparing it to PhysX is a little harsh, as it does something much more effective than PhysX. 

Mantle is to G-Sync like TressFX is to PhysX at this time

THE BEAST Motherboard: MSI B350 Tomahawk   CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700   GPU: Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X OC  RAM: 16GB G.Skill FlareX DDR4   

PSU: Corsair CX650M     Case: Corsair 200R    SSD: Kingston 240GB SSD Plus   HDD: 1TB WD Green Drive and Seagate Barracuda 2TB Media Drive

....You're joking, right?

what i meant was its not taking work from the CPU and doing it on the GPU

its a very efficient  API that renders 3D graphics

"allows games and applications to utilize the GPU more efficiently, and have much faster draw calls, and makes game development much easier by nearly eliminating hardware abstraction."

i watched the like 2 hours video AMD made its just hard to put it all here

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

I think comparing it to PhysX is a little harsh, as it does something much more effective than PhysX. 

mantle and g-sync are 2 entirely different things...

facepalm_227785.jpg

Real programmers don't document, if it was hard to write, it should be hard to understand.
I've learned that something constructive comes from every defeat.

I'm pretty sure he's just saying that mantle and g-sync is a closer comparison than mantle and physx.

Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait Edition █ CPU: Intel i7-4790K █ GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 780Ti █ RAM: 8GB AVEXIR DDR3 1600  █ Storage: 120GB Kingston HyperX SSD + 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD 

█ Monitor: 21.5" 1080p 60Hz  PSU: 700w █ Case: Fractal Define R4 █       ...LTT Dark Theme master race.

Project MiniConsole

facepalm_227785.jpg

I know that.... but that's a much better comparison than Mantle to PhysX lol

THE BEAST Motherboard: MSI B350 Tomahawk   CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700   GPU: Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X OC  RAM: 16GB G.Skill FlareX DDR4   

PSU: Corsair CX650M     Case: Corsair 200R    SSD: Kingston 240GB SSD Plus   HDD: 1TB WD Green Drive and Seagate Barracuda 2TB Media Drive

I've always suspected that Mantle wasn't that low level and it's nice to see it confirmed. I don't mean that in a bad way either. I was worried that Mantle would be very low level and therefore require huge revisions to work on future GPU architectures. That explains why they said other manufactures could potentially add support for Mantle.

If AMD and Nvidia were to cross license a bunch of stuff then that would be awesome. Mantle and trueaudio on Nvidia, G-Sync, shadowplay, PhysX on AMD. It would benefit everyone.

Interesting read and I am looking forward to see what kind of performance boost we will get in Star Swarm. It's nice to hear that they had an easy time implementing it as well.

I've always suspected that Mantle wasn't that low level and it's nice to see it confirmed. I don't mean that in a bad way either. I was worried that Mantle would be very low level and therefore require huge revisions to work on future GPU architectures. That explains why they said other manufactures could potentially add support for Mantle.

If AMD and Nvidia were to cross license a bunch of stuff then that would be awesome. Mantle and trueaudio on Nvidia, G-Sync, shadowplay, PhysX on AMD. It would benefit everyone.

Interesting read and I am looking forward to see what kind of performance boost we will get in Star Swarm. It's nice to hear that they had an easy time implementing it as well.

It'd be better if all new monitor supported freesync natively without the price hike, but I do agree.

It'd be better if all new monitor supported freesync natively without the price hike, but I do agree.

we will see variable vblank since its a vesa standard set for DP1.3 but i want to see how well its implemented first on monitors that support it

I think you missed the point? And how is it harsh? PhysX calculations can easily be done on the gpu but Nvidia offloads it onto the gpu. That is essentially what Mantle does.

I think you missed the point? And how is it harsh? PhysX calculations can easily be done on the gpu but Nvidia offloads it onto the gpu. That is essentially what Mantle does.

I understand your point but the way you initially said it gives people the impression that you think Mantle is on the same level or produces the same result as PhysX, when obviously Mantle is a bit more than that. 

All is good though

Thanks very interesting link. Little(nothing at all) that I know about the raw coding side of things what I take from this are the following 3 statements:

"we'd like to point out that our Direct3D performance is absolutely outstanding, relative to what is expected. We have spent a huge amount of time optimizing around D3D, and we feel we are actually pretty biased in D3D’s favor. Mantle, on the other hand, we've spent far less time with and currently have only pretty basic optimizations. But Mantle is such an elegant API that it still dwarfs our D3D performance.
"

"Mantle is kind of the disruptive technology that gets everyone rethinking things. Whether this means a new version of OpenGL, or a new version of D3D, we can't say. But it is clear that they will have to adapt if they want to stay relevant.

Some of us have been screaming for change for years. The arguments we got in the past were: 1) it couldn't be faster 2) it would be too hard to use, and 3) we have enough performance, so more isn't useful. We wanted to show that all three of these things are provably false."

And of cause:

"All we did for Mantle was replace the D3D module with a Mantle one. It's about 3,000 to 4,000 lines of code for the Mantle version, which took me personally about two months to write. In terms of support, at least for us, it wasn't terribly difficult." Dan Baker

So all I really think mantle needs to do is bring change and to more than just I piece of hardware. If it's going to be the-next-big-thing or just cause DX and OpenGL to change does not matter.

Also give me both G-Sync Free-Sync I don't care who does it I just WANT IT! ;)

I understand your point but the way you initially said it gives people the impression that you think Mantle is on the same level or produces the same result as PhysX, when obviously Mantle is a bit more than that. 

All is good though

How? All I did was say they offload processing onto the gpu.

How? All I did was say they offload processing onto the gpu.

"Mantle, the AMD version of PhysX for doing calculations"

Don't worry man, I just got the wrong impression, I'm sorry

Well, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that I don't think Mantle will be the great thing everyone is hoping for for quite some time.  I don't think it will offer compelling reason to buy AMD and I think freesync won't be as free as people think it will. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.