[Unofficial LTT] NZXT H440 Owners Club

Hello. I'm in the process of completing my build. I was supposed to get the monitor today, but the big snow/ice storm on the East coast prevented it from being delivered today. The SSD I purchased for my old system, but transferred it over to the new build. I'm still looking for a mouse. I may get a NVMe PCI SSD sometime this year.

I received the i7-6700K, MSI Z170A Gaming M7, and the Enermax ETS-T40-TB, and some Amazon gift cards to use for other components from family as a Christmas presents. I used the gift cards for the RAM and PSU. This was my first almost complete build since more than 10 years ago.

I upgraded from an AMD Athlon 64 X2 7750 2.7 Ghz Black Edition, 4 GB of DD2, and Sapphire Amd Radeon HD 6570.

I had a difficult time installing the SSD into the front 2.5" plate, so I had to put it in the back. I ordered a straight red NZXT SSD power cable since the PSU onlly comes with 90 degree SSD power cables. I chose the video card since I don't plan on going 4k or 1440.

I love the case!

I've a few issues with it so far. One of the front panel USB 3.0 ports doesn't work, the power light on top only briefly flashes on, and one of the 120mm front stock fans doesn't work. I'll need to troubleshoot all of these soon.

I was contemplating on getting the red and black version of this case for the build, but my sense of taste wanted to have the motherboard stand out rather than have a uniform build. I had a lot of fun putting this together and thankful that I got this opportunity again.

Here's the build list:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Vd7KWZ

That white case looks nice with the red, now I'm second guessing my choice!

That white case looks nice with the red, now I'm second guessing my choice!

It's all in personal preference. I was very close getting that model. Your build looks great! I like the way Corsair AF fans look on your build too. I may get those to replace the stock fans on my build.

I am thinking about replacing the 3 120s with fractal venturis and putting 3 bitfenix spectre pros (2 120s in the top back) and 1 120 in the back) as exhaust... I can't fit a 140 anymore due to replacing my window with tempered glass lol.

Here is my h440 btw. Since we're all posting here :3 used to be the standard white one. Working on the psu cover panel atm so it's not in the pic yet

Here's the current update! Got a second 970 (going to mod that windforce logo to an MSI one somehow...) It's still a work in progress so if any of you got suggestions lemme know! I also remounted the glass window with sound dampening surrounded by the 3m 20lb mounting tape. I am also planning on getting the top and front panel hinged (not just to show off the doors, but also for quick access. I'll have a latching mechanism as well. Also, I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this.... but I was having trouble with the cable-side panel foam as it doesn't give much room for my cables and the extensions. What I did was remove all the panel foam. But that caused a ton of noise leakage. On amazon, silverstone is selling their sound foam for a pretty good price. It works basically the same as NZXT's (maybe a tiny bit weaker) but it's a little bit thinner. I have much more room now and don't need to resort to the "push and slide" maneuver Linus mentions in one of his videos.

here are my specs btw:

i5 4690k 4.6ghz @1.219 v overclocked (Phanteks ph-tc14pe + 2 Noctua NF-A14)

gtx 970 x2 SLI 1.5 ghz overclocked

g.skill 8gb ram kit + 16 gb Crucial ballistix tactical tracer kit (modified timings running at 1600 mhz)

Seasonic X850 80+ gold 850w

64 gb m.2 sata ssd

seagate 2tb SSHD

Seagate barracuda 2tb(started failing today) 4+ y/o

WD Black 3tb HDD

casefans: 3x Fractal design venturi HP12 PWM + 2x Bitfenix Spectre Pro (Non-pwm)

89165bc3aa5a7c6edc951d281c646f7d.jpg

22a0ffdd8a93ab0427837ad6ce8fe85a.png

Flash doesnt play nice with yellow paint :/

652d6fb98927c3add11cc1d20919554c.png

GPUs and PSU cover since that was missing since my last post

23cd3c8236d06df7202d41c093ebf21b.jpg

And heres the full side

db4ee3cea1fbf7c742737f5539a83054.png

Thanks!

JenerationX

@JenerationX if you do your cable management correctly you don't need to do the push and slide maneuver either; my panels slides on with ease.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

On 1/30/2016 at 9:22 AM, djdwosk97 said:

@JenerationX if you do your cable management correctly you don't need to do the push and slide maneuver either; my panels slides on with ease.

That would be true, except for the fact that i have tons of extensions, lighting cables, 2 gpus and some wiring modifications for future mods that I have planned. Needless to say, the push and slide was fixed by the new sound foam. And my psu has kind of fat cables until the ends where they turn flat. Just routing the 24 pin had clearance issues with the foam due to all the other cables

1 hour ago, JenerationX said:

That would be true, except for the fact that i have tons of extensions, lighting cables, 2 gpus and some wiring modifications for future mods that I have planned. Needless to say, the push and slide was fixed by the new sound foam. And my psu has kind of fat cables until the ends where they turn flat. Just routing the 24 pin had clearance issues with the foam due to all the other cables

color scheme= rainbow?

7 hours ago, Aytex said:

color scheme= rainbow?

nah... it's only 3 colors :P Red black and yellow. Green lights idea I got from this: latest?cb=20131208040822

Actually thought it looks pretty cool.

Here's some updated pics with some extensions and cable management. I'll post again when I get my cable combs added.

IMG_2072.JPG

IMG_2074.JPG

IMG_2089.JPG

IMG_2081.JPG

IMG_2076.JPG

Just got back into PC gaming and wanted to try and make a beast of a machine. I just put it together last night. Haven't had a chance to tweak anything or overclock it yet. I think it turned out great. The case is super quite. I love that theres not optical drives. IMG_20160204_202231.thumb.jpg.29daea398eIMG_20160204_195427.thumb.jpg.54fec87eabIMG_20160204_224716.thumb.jpg.2444332f6e

On 2/6/2016 at 0:15 PM, Whiteyofvb said:

Great build... But PC on floor D;

Hi guys, I'm looking for some advice about the PWM fan hub in the H440 2015 New Edition.

I'm using a NZXT Kraken X61 and currently have the 3 pin power cable from the pump going to the 4 pin CPU Fan port on the hub. 

The PWM cable from the the top of the hub is connected to CPU_FAN 1 on the motherboard. 

The only other fan connected to the hub is the rear exhaust fan. In BIOS I disabled the motherboard's Smart Fan setting for the CPU_FAN 1 header. 

I'm wondering if this setup correct and optimal? 

Should I have connected the 3 pin power cable from the pump directly to the motherboard? 

I understand that the pump should receive a constant 12V supply in order to be most effective, and then the CAM software controls pump/fan speeds. 

Full spec of my rig

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, i'm about to join your(our) precious club. I've recently bought my H440 New Edition Red/Black, but i'm not satisfied with the heat on my CPU nor the noise the stock coolers are making. Currently i'm running with a Noctua NH-U9B CPU cooler, but it doesn't look good in the case, neither does it do a satisfying job at cooling imo.

I've been looking into AIO watercoolers, and i've stumbled upon quite a few awesome performing and looking ones. So heres my question for you experts, which one is the best performing for my system?
I've been looking at the following:

• Corsair H100i GTX
  • Corsair H110i GTX
  • NZXT Kraken x61

I am probably going to replace the stock rad fans with something better performing, but for now the standard ones have to do the job. Also i want the rad to be top mounted with a pull config from the inside and out at top.

If there are other better choices out there please let me know.

My relevant hardware is the following:
AMD FX-8350 (running at stock speed)

MSI 970 Gaming AM3+

16gb HyperX Fury 1866mhz

Club3D Radeon HD7950 3gb 13' series

Samsung Evo 840 120gb

Corsair CX600M

WP_20160205_16_11_59_Rich_LI.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hi guys!

I've bought my H440 about a week ago. It's the 2015 Edition with the PWM fan hub. I've connecteedd the molex cable to my power supply, and the pwm cable to a 4pin header on my motherboard. (I have a Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD4H motherboard). In the bios I can controll that 4pin header manually, and by selecting between profiles like performance mode of silent mode. All my fans are 4pin pwm fans. My problem is when I select the silent mode, the only fan that slows down is the one that is connected to the 4pin header on the hub. So my question is: am I doing something wrong, or is it possible that the "pwm fan hub" can only controll one fan (most likely intended to use with the cpu fan), and spin the other case fans at 100%?

fan-hub.png

4 hours ago, grimcrash said:

Hi guys!

I've bought my H440 about a week ago. It's the 2015 Edition with the PWM fan hub. I've connecteedd the molex cable to my power supply, and the pwm cable to a 4pin header on my motherboard. (I have a Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD4H motherboard). In the bios I can controll that 4pin header manually, and by selecting between profiles like performance mode of silent mode. All my fans are 4pin pwm fans. My problem is when I select the silent mode, the only fan that slows down is the one that is connected to the 4pin header on the hub. So my question is: am I doing something wrong, or is it possible that the "pwm fan hub" can only controll one fan (most likely intended to use with the cpu fan), and spin the other case fans at 100%?

I may be wrong but I believe the 4 pin is the only one with a voltage regulator or speed control, which essentially means you can only control the 4 pin

attachment.php?attachmentid=1947&d=12746 4 pin

3Pin12vMB_2.jpg 3 pin

So basically the "PWM fan hub" that they advertised with the new edition is just another 3pin fan hub with one additional pwm header. That's disappointing. I think I'll buy this to replace it: SilverStone PWM Fan Hub.

My only problem is that the fan hub in the case and the lightning controller is powered by the same molex. Is it possible the remove the cable of the fan hub from the molex, so it only powers the lightning controller?

• 4 weeks later...

Guys, please reply, who played games on ultra or high, and can post the temp, of the parts. 

CPU - AMD 5800XMotherboard - ROG STRIX B550-E GAMING , Memory  - G.SKILL TridentZ Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3600 ,

GPU - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti MSI SUPRIM X 12G,  Case - 4000D AIRFLOW Tempered Glass Mid - Tower ATX Case - Black ,

Storage - Samsung 970 EvoPlus 500GB - Samsung 870 EVO 1TB + 6TB HDD,

PSU - Corsair HX1000 , Display -  ASUS TUF Gaming VG27A 165HZ + Dell 24 UltraSharp Monitor , Cooling - Noctua NH-D15 Black , 

Keyboard - Razer Stalker , Mouse - Logitec G502 Wireless , Operating System - Win 10 Pro , 

Sound - Logitech Z906 5.1 THX Surround Sound Speaker System

7 hours ago, keavlar said:

Guys, please reply, who played games on ultra or high, and can post the temp, of the parts. 

i have a 4560 and a gigabyte 970 g1 gaming a 212 evo and the standard fans maxed i get temps into the low 60s

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

• 1 month later...

Hope someone can help me with the fan set up. I used an i5 with its own cooler, and plugged that CPU fan into my Motherboard CPU Fan connector. I've plugged the H440 fan hub into the PSU using the Molex connector. I now have the extension cabl and the PWM cable. Do I need to plug these in anywhere? Is there a way to control fan speed or will it run at 100% all the time using the hub for power? I have a SYS_Fan connecto open on the MB but I'm weary of connecting th hub through that.  Any suggestions would be appreciated

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, new to this forum. Just finished building NZXT Razer edition H440 / motherboard MSI Z170A XPOWER GAMING TITANIUM EDITION /EVGA SuperNOVA 1200 P2 80+ PLATINUM / NZXT Kraken x61/ Nvidia GTX 1080.  I love the case. The problem is I cannot get the LED lights to work if my life depended on it. Does the PMW cable have to be connected to the mothboard?  My motherboard doesn't detect the cable.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

OK. So after watching too many console gaming videos, and being a console gamer for most of my 33 years on this planet, I slowly started to watch more pc videos, and subscribed to most of the usual suspects. (Linus, awesome sauce, jayz2cents, hardwarecanucks, etc.) I slowly got more and more into the idea of building a PC of my very own, and after doing tons of research, reading, and pricing, I built my first ever desktop rig, to work, game, and everything in between.

I wanted to keep it a sleeper, and not overly flashy unless I wanted to turn up the lighting, so I went with the rarely seen around here, black on black 440.

I had originally planned for a 970 card, but ended up getting a killer deal on a 980ti, and have enrolled in EVGAs "Step Up" card program, and will get a 1080 FTW RGB Edition when it becomes available in the program, or possibly wait for the 1080ti to come to market instead. 

I also suffer from diagnosed obsessive compulsive disorder, so my build is very clean, and my desk/work environment, and surroundings are always kept as proper as possible.

The Final Pop Captain Phasma figure was a throw in at purchase by the salesman, as he said that each build should have a name, and a background. She has since been relagated to shelf duty as she was impeding air flow in the case.

Build specs:

NZXT h440 black/black

NZXT Kraken X61

NZXT Hue+

NZXT Grid+ (in the mail)

Gigabyte Z170x UD3 motherboard

Intel i7 6700k

EVGA GTX 970 FTW (was exchanged for a EVGA 980ti FTW before finishing build)

Corsair HX750i

Corsair K70 RGB Rapid Fire MX Speed

Corsair M65 Pro RGB

Corsair MM200 Extended Mouse Pad

1 x Samsung 850 evo 256gb SSD

2 x Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm 2tb HDD

4 x 8gb (32gb) Kingston Hyper X Fury 21300 DDR4

Asus PB278q WQHD 144hz Monitor

Asus Turbo Drive external Blu-ray Disc Drive

Audio Technical Ath m50x Headphones (black/black)

Logitech z506 5.1 Surround Sound System

Blue Snowball USB Microphone

Microsoft Xbox One Elite Controller

Microsoft Xbox One Wireless Adapter

Cable Mods C Series HXi Cable Kit (Black Braided)

Cable Mods C Series Modflex Basic Cable Comb Kit (Black)

I can't be any happier with the setup so far, and will be adding 2 m.2 950 Pro SSDs into the system in the future.

Photo Album and Cable Management photos attached. Any comments or criticism are welcome, but won't be taken lightly (wink). 

Parts ready to be assembled 

aes1PNk.jpg

"Battlestation" Album

http://imgur.com/a/yhaIA

lAZlZgVh.jpg

Cable Management Photo

0pygJoS.jpg

Final, "Money Shot" Close Up, with lighting options on.

http://imgur.com/2iHyMZ8

Anyone know the best way to clean the sidepanel window?

Spoiler

Case: NZXT H440 Blue/Black Special Edition   CPU: i5-4690k @ 4.3GHz    Cpu Cooler: Cryorig H5

Graphics Card:  Gigabyte Windforce GTX 780ti OC 3GB Stock Clock 1020MHz Boost Clock 1085MHz   Motherboard:  Asus Z97-A ATX Motherboard

RAM: 2x8 Crucial Ballistix Sport @ 1600MHz   Storage: 2TB Seagate Barracuda @ 7200rpm, 128GB SanDisk Ultra Plus SSD Audio: Logitech G933 Artemis Spectrum Wireless Gaming Headset  Keyboard: Logitech G910 Orion Spark Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core

using a microfiber cloth and water is what i use.

I need clarification about one thing about H440. 

(CA-H440W-W1) - revision 1, window and white? (572 ZL in Poland)

(CA-H442W-M8) - revision 2, window and black? (668 ZL)

(CA-H442C-M8) - revision 2, no window and black? (497 ZL)

H440 is rev.1 and H442 is improved version with PWM hub and etc?

Spoiler

CPU: i7-6900K 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: X99 Sabertooth | GPU: RTX 2080 Ti SLi | RAM: 32GB DDR4-3400 CL13 | SSD: SX8200 PRO 512GB | PSU: Corsair AX1600i | Case: InWin 805C | Monitor: LG 38UC99-W 85Hz | Keyboard: Wooting One Analog | Keypad: Azeron Compact Analog | Mouse: Swiftpoint Z | Audio: Klipsch Reference 5.1

On 07/06/2016 at 3:44 PM, Iankiller99 said:

Anyone know the best way to clean the sidepanel window?

very gently

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

53 minutes ago, jaggysnake57 said:

very gently

or at least just get the dust off, would a swiffer duster scratch it?

Spoiler

Case: NZXT H440 Blue/Black Special Edition   CPU: i5-4690k @ 4.3GHz    Cpu Cooler: Cryorig H5

Graphics Card:  Gigabyte Windforce GTX 780ti OC 3GB Stock Clock 1020MHz Boost Clock 1085MHz   Motherboard:  Asus Z97-A ATX Motherboard

RAM: 2x8 Crucial Ballistix Sport @ 1600MHz   Storage: 2TB Seagate Barracuda @ 7200rpm, 128GB SanDisk Ultra Plus SSD Audio: Logitech G933 Artemis Spectrum Wireless Gaming Headset  Keyboard: Logitech G910 Orion Spark Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core